Thread: Yankee Bird Feeder

Yankee Bird Feeder

Started on a feeder for my Yankee Birds today. Actually, I started a couple weeks ago by sitting here in my deck chair with cold beer and thinking about what I wanted.

My Yank birds mostly tend to be Millet eaters, and I entertain a lot of them every year. A Jap Maple has grown into my main seed feeder and lets the Chip Monk in. He can haul off about 50#s a day.

Here is the feeder when first built. Note the dowel rods for birds to land (very important) and the screen floor which I will explain in a later post (very important).
    Attachment 874

As you can see, it was not ready for Winter -- snow covered the seed. The birds might just as well have stayed in Maine.
    Attachment 875

So I made a roof:
    Attachment 876

Then I added a deck beside the garden pond and a Jap Maple that grew into a ladder for my Chip Monk. I do like my Chip Monks, so I guess this is now their feeder.
    Attachment 877

Photos of the new Chip Monkey proof feeder soon. Today I bought one too few Cedar boards and will not have it finished, painted and mounted until I get back to the store. I can't go tomorrow as it is College Foot Ball Day.

Got my new feeder up today, simple and effective.
    I used cedar with a tongue & groove roof.
    Attachment 893

The mesh screen floor will help keep the seed dry. Most seed eaters are ground birds, and a big floor makes them happy as they like to jump around and scratch.
    I'll fashion a hopper to hold the seed as those two little saucers I sat in there would not hold food for even a day once the Winter birds return.

Your pics look fantastic!

PVT
    How do I keep the squirrels from getting into my regular bird feeder ? Let me know if I am doing this right. You know this is all very new to me. What we go through to keep our men happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    How do I keep the squirrels from getting into my regular bird feeder ? Let me know if I am doing this right. You know this is all very new to me. What we go through to keep our men happy.

Welcome to YC Shaggy.

Do like me, just feed and enjoy the squirrels, they need some love too.
    I am the only guy in a tie