Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

D O G S
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: D O G S

D O G S

Ten years ago, my Bride showed up with a critter. It was a year old pup that was actually just some dog hair stretched over a skeleton. Anyone with compassion would have run over it with the car, not brought it home.

I was not amused to say the least. I like dogs, and had been searching the internet for a pure blood, large boned German Shepard with a champion bloodline. (I still check on those) One not for show goes for about a thousand.
    I suggested to her the pound could find the dog a home but knew this dog was past that. My Bride would not hear of it as she had "rescued" this critter.

I took the Beagle to the vet and she had stomach worms and heart worms. She also had patches of missing hair. It was not much of a dog.

I grew up with dogs as my Pop raised and trained hunting dogs. At 6 Pop and Mom gave me a Chihuahua, Sandy. She died when I was in the Army and they did not tell me until I was back stateside.

They had to keep this new critter (Beagle) at the dog hospital a few days to try and kill the heart worms. He told me it was 50/50.
    She survived.

Then she had to be spayed. How much that cost me in things not money is a life secret and involved a local government investigation into me as a person and my ability to own guns. She made it, and now I had more $$ in her than a show dog.

At the end of the day, the Bride had something that resembled a dog.

The dog liked me. She still does. For ten years or so, she has been my constant companion. She is not just smart, but very clever, I guess from the year of abuse. We are not dog/guy owner/dog now, just two equal critters. My Bride got lost in the shuffle. She feeds the two dogs and two cats a few times every day. That should make a difference. The Beagle still prefers to hang with me, and I have to admit, I prefer her company over all others.

I found I don't need a huge German Shepard. The Beagle can hear a fly move and smell things beyond belief. Her nose is amazing. Me and her and a shot gun named Blue are enough to protect this house. A team of NAVY SEALS would not be able to slip up and surprise us.

I am not ashamed to say (proud to say), I love this dog more than any person I ever met. Due to my present life style, we spend most hours together, or at least in the same area as she does have her job of inspecting and controlling the yard.

This is her yard (about 2 acres) , and she defends it. She keeps up with every inch. She is a sweet heart. Her self appointed job is to bark and threaten any critter (or person) that enters. She barks and alerts.

My job is to attack.

I order on line every week, so the postman, UPS guy and Fed Ex guy are here all the time. They know Rosey and bring her treats. She still gives them hell every time as it is her job - for the first minute. We give them cold drinks, and a couple visit off duty to fish or play pool.

A new FedEx guy came.
    I almost went to prison yesterday - not jail, but prison.

My Beagle was barking as she always does when anything enters our yard. That is her job and she is very good at it.
    I looked out and saw the new FedEX guy trying to hit her with a zapper.

My eyes went to blood. He was a big, tough looking guy about to hurt my best friend in her own yard.
    I was on him in an instant and at my maximum piss level. it was all I could do not to ---. If he had harmed Rosey --?
    He was a big guy, intimidating, but just a bully.
    I am also big, and kinda wild looking. I am not a bully. I have never taken a step back from guys like this. No one should.

Most people don't have an actual confrontation level for strangers. Cops make a living doing that every day. Stress is not what cops do. Still, 30 years of handling stress situations evaporated. It is funny how that happens when it is yours on the line. All my training went out the door. I was ready to dump that asshole in the lake after I beat him to death.

He quickly was backing up the drive when the Beagle's back up arrived (me).
    I am positive he will never return to my yard. If he does, he is going to jail for trespass. I informed FedEx and gave him all the required warnings.

I order every week from places like Amazon and ebay. I got in a case of those tasty gold fish crackers today.
    Shopping on line is cheaper, choices are better, and they bring it to your door - I like it.

My Beagle does her job like a doorbell and barks. In 12 years here in the woods. no driver has had a problem with my critters.

I understand about bad dogs. I have responded to many houses with them day and night as a cop. In rare cases a cop kills a dog, but it is rare considering all the thousands of yards cops hit everyday. 99% of the time it is owners training dogs to do what they do. I hate those guys. Dogs are seldom a real problem and there are ways to deal with it, like blowing the horn. Any one like cops, firemen, UPS, FedEX or local mailmen understand dogs.

Rosey is not a Pit Bull, just a rather fat Beagle happy to see entertainment and maybe a free dog biscuit enter HER yard.

Attack her, and you attack me, so bring your "A" game.

Thinking about this guy still has my panties in a knot.
    Rosey this week:
    Attachment 749
    I am the only guy in a tie

Did you get you're package?

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Did you get you're package?
    ??????

================

Attachment 750

I still like this pic of her showing you who's boss:

CPT
    Your story is very similar to mine and my Sandi dog of 15 years (who passed away...from neck cancer that I (personally) made a valiant effort to stop...this last February). He had an early similar "incident" with the mailman and was maced/sprayed. The mail truck and any mailman were the only things this gentle and most caring (yet very couragous) dog ever growled at and barked about every day henceforth. Early on in our "relationship" I too decided to treat this dog as an equal being and respect his "dogness" and superior sense of smell, hearing, and physical abilities and not "demean" him by comparing him to the few traits that humans excel in.... They must sense this and thus become (by far!) your best friends on this cruel Earth. I too vowed to defend his life against any and all "beauricrats".
    Now have another dog who is of course a lot different than Sandi, but just as lovable.
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

My first dog was a tiny Taco dog. I was in first grade and on the walk home went by my GrandMa's home. She got in a tiny dog and I would stop in to visit. On Christmas Day Mom wrapped a box with no bottom and put the dog under. Sandy hung out with me and died when I was in the Army - run over in the driveway by a delivery truck. Pop raised and trained hunting dogs because he could. My dog was tiny. She would get mad and run along beside the big dogs, jump up to bite their ears.

Comment from Brother Wayne:

I remember that when we were young Dad cut a small doggy door into the screened-in back porch. So that Sandy could come in but his bigger bird dogs Dan and Toby could not. Terry, Frank, and I discovered ( or maybe YOU showed us ) that by placing a trail of very small ( non doggy bite sized) bread crumbs on the back steps leading into this open doggy door, we could catch birds. The birds would follow the trail of crumbs into the back porch. Then Sandy " protecting her turf " would run out of her little dog house barking and make them fly, trapping them in the back porch for us to easily catch. We never harmed any of the birds and it wasn't long before Mom found out and put a stop to it. But it was fun while it lasted. Wayne

My Max is very protective of me and OUR home. Anyone who comes to the house better know that unless I greet them, Max will have them for dinner. The mailman thought giving him treats would calm him down, but Max is too smart for that. He hoards the snack until the yard is clear. I don't want him to get familiar and friendly with anyone and then have that person able to enter my home without permission.

I rescued him when he was small and crate trained him. Unfortunately during the first few weeks I had him I had to go away over night and he was crated, someone broke into my home and he could not do anything. He hasn't been crated since. This is his home first and foremost. (Of course he shares it with 11 cats but that's another story).

He is Pitt/Shepard mixed and adorable - don't you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CPT
    OMG Shortcake: Max looks a LOT like our new dog Apollo (also a holy terror sometimes but VERY sweet and loving most of the time). We think him to be a white/tan Lab mixed with (maybe!) Ridgeback, Boxer, Siberian Husky?? (as a touch of "blue eye" in his right eye..). Think some pics of him earlier on ths thread..nope...but there are some on the "other" site...
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

Max is well behaved when he is here with me alone. When "company" comes, if I greet them or they have a key (meaning they CAN be here) he tends to play puppy. So annoying, except when my son's girlfriend - then I love it cause she can't stand it.

That's one fine looking pup!

Great looking dog.
    I have a couple cats who decided to live here. A cat is the last thing a birdwatcher needs. :confusion:
    Now I have to go out every evening and round them up because I fear coyotes. The cats follow me around like the dogs, I must be an interesting guy.

I have 11 cats - all indoor cats. My pets are much more reliable than my kids sometimes. Tax is king of the house, then there is Itsy, Bitsy, Teeny, Weeny, Midnight, Shadow, Sugar Lover, Angel and Creamy...All were rescued - Taz from ASPCA and the other 10 all rescued by Harry (HEWLEW) and his wife, and adopted by me.

He knows he is not allowed to bring anymore kittens to me (even though I ask) because I always take them all.

My youngest son, a regular Dr. Doolittle, moved back in with me recently and he brought a rabbit, Jupiter and a Cockateil Sammy.

With Max, (Maximillion when he is good and Maxwell when he is bad) and all the others here, when I say I live in an animal house, I absolutely mean it.

I would not change it for the world, and it is a good thing I am single. I can always use the excuse "it's not me, it's the animals".

My cats adopted me, as did my two dogs, Rosey and Tubby.
    My cats are named Percy and Prancy after Sir Percival Prancealot.

I had a cat who would go for a walk with me when I walked my dog (dog on a leash, the cat just stayed with us no problem). He was very nonchalant about it & never strayed far from us. He'd stop occasionally & investigate something, but he was tons better at staying nearby than the dog ever would have been without the leash~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast