From the YardCarp Blog of you assholes ever add a comment to.
==========

Got an email that Optics Planet is having a site wide sale today. That is a good place with good prices on many things guys like.

With Winter coming on, got to thinking again about night Binos. I use my Binos everyday. I have several scattered around at windows. Nothing adds more to my life except maybe my Beagle. My eye sight is still quite good, but Binos give me super hero vision.

Most don't realize it, but Binos work great in the dark. You can see much more than with just eyes. Put a few low voltage lights out there and you will see the yard is filled with more life at night than in the day time. I have LED lights on my garden ponds and they add just enough glow to light up the night critters with out taking away the great "night effect".

To that end, consider dark when looking at new Binos.
That means considering a larger "Objective Lens Diameter" which gathers in more light.
The ones I use on the deck are 50mm.

I chose mine years back because of that. More common is 42mm but maybe for me 56 or higher would be nice.

It is not that simple of course. For most of us, we have to balance in things like Magnification, Close Focus, and Weight before we can look into all the other nice to have areas. These things are critical --> at least to me and my applications.

The pair I use on the deck have this:
Magnification 12x
Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm
Close Focus 10.5 feet
Weight 36.7 ounces

These are excellent sitting in my chair, better than my HD LED television. The picture is a lot better on the deck with these than my TV can ever approach.

Still, I don't often take them when I walk the woods because of the weight. As Binos get heavier, it gets harder to hold them steady for a clear view. Sitting in a chair, it is no problem. Most "real" Birders would have chosen this model from the Lecia line I bought from:
Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Close Focus 9.8 feet
Weight 27.9 ounces

I am old, but still steady. I am about 6 foot, 190. After years of this hobby, I know what I need. You have to figure out what you need. It is part of the fun. Don't let any asshole tell you his is the only one to buy.
Actually, my preferred walking/concert/game Bino is my old Pentax DCF XP 10x33:
Weight 17.6 oz.
Close focus 4.9 feet
These are discontinued now but I see you can get them here for $273.99 http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...8/product.html This is an exceptional buy in a small, but complete Bino, not some junk or a toy. They are 100% YardCrap approved. Of course looking through a Bino takes practice. There is a learning curve. Bigger is better for most, so this might be too little for many until they gain experience. I give it ten stars due to size, clarity, and now this closeout price. If you want a "do everything" BINO - here it is.

As I look over night options, not much is new. Even for night Binos, I don't want to go over 30oz. I really need at least 15 feet as to close focus. Using no price limits, I don't see anything yet out there that now beats what I have.

I think the future in Binos will be image stabilization. That has been around for 30 years, but not in a friendly version. In SLR cameras, and even point and shoot, it is the cat's ass. I understand the tech between the two is not really related, but we did put a man on the moon.