Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquitoes

I have a screen room built just below my Catbird seat. I put a ceiling fan in as screen cuts off the outside breeze. It also hurts the view and you can't shoot at Cowbirds. Actually, I built it first to sit in, and later came up with the idea of putting my out door Catbird place on top of it. I prefer outside.
    I also have a portable screen room which is priceless when camping.

Sitting inside a screen room has many disadvantages.
    I prefer not being in one.
    The same is true for bugnet mesh clothing.

Deet was invented in WW1 and while I don't like it, decades of use by millions have shown it to be safe as have all reputable studies.
    Toad, I believe you imbibe your share of beer. Have you ever seen what alcohol will do to living tissue? The better plan would be to keep the Deet and give up beer.

I find that the 20% deet is adequate for my needs. Even less is Ok if only out for an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    I hear bear fat works, too !
    On 'Walking Dead', the guy was considered an expert survivalist because he was rubbing wild onions on himself to keep bus at bay.
    There are many folk myths and people who swear by this or that.
    So far in scientific tests, nothing works but deet.

I find that strange. There is tremendou$ market for mosquito repellant but no one has improved on deet. I suspect billions have been spent over the last 70 years in research. In some countries mosquitos are a major health hazard killing many people each year.
    I am the only guy in a tie

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I doubt anything works, but Themacell gets great reviews on Amazon.
    I am going to give it a shot this Summer.
    http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Deet does work, so will order in a case of that.

These other things never work. I even have one of those big units run by a propane tank --> now "free" if you pick it up. If anything, attracting more to the area for "the kill" is a bad idea. It is better to attract some bats and frogs.
    Killing all of them is not possible.

Repelling or killing them mechanically has also not worked for me or most.

My yard is not too bad, but even one bite drives me insane. I am weak.

This Thermacell crap puts out an aroma they supposedly hate for 15ft of protection. It heats up with a fuel cell.
    A pad lasts for "up to" 4 hours.
    The aroma is very slight, not strong like citronella (which has no effect).

If it does work, it might prove expensive for regular use.
    As I see it, it would need to be in an area where air movement is less like here in the Catbird chair. They sell them for belt wear as you hike, but that is not logical to me.

I'll report back with my experience on this.
    http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-Mos...rds=thermacell
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit R.I.P. View Post
    I have used the ThermaCELL and it works quite well.
    Chuck was over today, and I am bumping this thread up so he can see old thoughts on Thermacell.

Does it work?
    I am still not sure, but do have experience with it now after two years.
    I believe it is OK.
    Problems with the original units above are the cost of the small gas units.

A newer model was a tea lamp powered unit that I don't think gets hot enough.

Then came this one that I have been using this Summer:https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-MR...ords=thermcell
    This is the only one to buy. The gas canister will last a long, long time.
    Name:  61UbCQOmFCL._SL1370_.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  32.3 KB

I use DEET. That works.
    I think the Thermacell does OK too here in my Catbird house where there is little breeze.

The Jetboil fuel comes in different sizes. There are some nice cooking stoves for it. It would be excellent for Zombie attacks or camping, so stocking in a case of it would good. Cabelas has a good price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12