Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mosquitoes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes

Mosquitoes

from the YardCrap Blog: http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap...o-control.html

Attachment 686
    These virus things are getting out of control this year. So far nearly 2K people have it, and approaching 100 dead.
    Those blood suckers must be hard to control. I know there is a fortune to be made for the person/company that comes up with something that works, so I suspect a lot of energy goes into that endeavor. Apparently there are 150 different types with 57 of them here in the Carolinas.

The only thing that works well is DEET. It is hard to believe a product discovered in the '40s is still the best we have.

Like most, I have tried many things over the years. I even got the expensive trap that works with a propane tank. The web is full of myths about things like Citronella, Avon products, etc. None of them are worth a damn. Neither bats nor purple martins are known to control or even significantly reduce mosquito populations.

The best one can do is follow advice you read every where these days -> lots of clothes, DEET, stay inside, no standing water, etc. I am outside a lot, like right now. It is too damn hot to wear much.

Here are a couple things that do help:
    -- Out here on the porch, I use fans. They help keep them blown away like at the Beach or on my dock. If you have noticed, you never get bitten ON the shore line. That is due to the almost constant incoming breeze.
    -- DEET - I oder in a dozen cans at a time from Amazon. I know it is safe, but I still don't like to spray it on me.
    -- Fog - About 15 years ago I got a fogger. It does a good job if you use it every week. I first bought the electric one, and now have added the propane one. AMAZON The electric one works better, gives a stronger fog, but it is not as portable now that I have a bigger yard.
    If you just have a small backyard, get the electric model. I mainly consentrate on my ground cover and bushes. I try to avoid my ponds. Fogging is a pain in the ass, but does work. Dawn or Dusk is best as no bees are out then, and the wind is less. Fogging is not very effective in a breeze. The Black Flag mixture at the box stores is too expensive. I order in a few bottles of this. AMAZON It works.
    -- Garden Ponds help. The water is a magnet, works better than a $400 propane style trap. The mosquiters land on the water and the fish are eagerly waiting on them. I have a big bug light hanging over my big pond. Experts say they are not attracted to it, not sure about that. They work great for other bugs, and my fish, frogs, and turtles hover under it at night eating the bugs as they drop - lots of free protein! The dragonfly nymph eats mosquitoes at all stages of development and is quite effective in controlling populations.

Some research shows blood chemistry and even type is a factor. Some beauty product smells attract them. I use Ivory soap, and that's it. I rarely get bit, but my Bride does.

Any of you have a solution or a myth to share?

Those blood suckers must be hard to control. I know there is a fortune to be made for the person/company that comes up with something that works, so I suspect a lot of energy goes into that endeavor. AO

North Carolina laid off it's entire Pest Management Department in 2011. Mosquitoes are completely out of control here. I've been using Off all summer and I've never done that before.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...8/1?csp=34news

Registered Users
    There was one day last month when the air was so thick with them, you had to literally sprint whenever you were outside, and even then, they'd still get you. Open a door and the room would fill with them. They had to call in an aerial strike with the helicopter. Not a single bug the next day. I cannot imagine what it would be like here without the mosquito control department.

..bump on this old thread -

This has been the best weather Summer I have had at the Lake in my 12 years. SC is blessed with good rain fall, but a few years have been drought level. This Summer the garden has received record rain fall, and spread out over the season. I have irrigation in place, but this year have not needed it. My water bill is half of normal Summer at about $30.

The downside is things are damp to wet many places, perfect for skeeters as all they need is a wet place. It is not real bad here. The Lake does not contribute to the problem and my garden pond critters (fish, frogs, lizard) eat millions.
    Still, I have them, mostly the tiny ones you don't notice till they get you. I am outside a lot (like now) and am seldom a victim.

Skeeters now are blamed for many health problems, so fewer are better.
    I have a bug light on each night, but I don't thing those are very effective on skeeters.

I fogged this morning, thought I would revive this thread for any of you with a problem.
    Fog about every 4 days at first and in no time you will have them in control.
    Perfect conditions are dusk or dawn on days with no wind or rain.
    Put the fog out close to the ground under foliage and eves. Be patent, take your time as home foggers are not like an airplane duster.

If you don't have a fogger, I would say buy the propane model due to the portability.
    In the past I have used this liquid: http://www.amazon.com/BONIDE-PRODUCT...eywords=bonide

Keep in mind that the pints of resmethrin sold at the box stores are $10 and for control you will need to spray from time to time, not just once. Buying in bulk is the only way.
    Today I found a buy on ebay and got a few jugs: http://www.ebay.com
    /itm/110900846266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649

No need to suffer, plus I have to think of my dogs and cats.
    I am the only guy in a tie

I remember growing up you only saw these things at sundown and at night. Now we have these aggressive tiger mosquitoes up here that are out 24-7.
    Name:  tm.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  49.3 KB
    If they bite you it itches and swells up like hell. They come from Asia. I'm sure they got here with cargo.

CPT
    One of the few reasons to live in SoCal: here....too hot and dry and they just can't make it over the Rockies! Probably one of the sub-conscious reasons I have not left....had my fill of them growing up in Ohio: that buzzing sound (especially if one gets in your ear!) is the MOST irrating sound on Earth! One of the things that made you yearn for Fall/Winter....then the cold and mud and sleet made you yearn for Spring/Summer again. Never ending vicious cycle of yearning...for that 2 or 3 weeks in the Fall that had the only good weather of the year (which is the kind of weather we enjoy in SoCal about 80% of the time...with no bugs!). But the libtards have made the price of all that is good about SoCal too high...
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

This Summer has had near normal rainfall, and I have had to water little.
    Skeeters should have been a bigger problem, but about normal.
    They have been accumulating and this morning did my first yard fog of the year. Since then I feel strange and can tell that I was the one poisoned.

I'll give it another fog in about 5 days. I am on the porch a lot and find a little deet keeps then off me.
    I have a good crop of hoppy toads this year, and also believe the biggest help here is the fish pond. Skeeters like water and fish like skeeters.

A true story:
    Mosquitoes are just something one acknowledges that warm weather, moisture, etc. are harbingers of being bitten by mosquitoes.
    But onto the story:
    Years ago, the Huss and I went (couldn't be avoided) to the ex's home and as we stood around outside for some idle 'chit-chat'; the Huss remarked that the mosquitoes 'are eating me up'; the ex- just couldn't resist and replied, "they're not bothering me."
    WTH, they were biting everybody; WAIT, WAIT, WAIT ----
    The Huss replied, "they just go after sweet things.":excitement:
    Now that was a zinger 'par excellance'; if woulda been difficult for ole SD to top it......

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    A true story:
    Mosquitoes are just something one acknowledges that warm weather, moisture, etc. are harbingers of being bitten by mosquitoes.
    But onto the story:
    Years ago, the Huss and I went (couldn't be avoided) to the ex's home and as we stood around outside for some idle 'chit-chat'; the Huss remarked that the mosquitoes 'are eating me up'; the ex- just couldn't resist and replied, "they're not bothering me."
    WTH, they were biting everybody; WAIT, WAIT, WAIT ----
    The Huss replied, "they just go after sweet things.":excitement:
    Now that was a zinger 'par excellance'; if woulda been difficult for ole SD to top it......
    That is funny, was it an ex that I met?

Skeeters are not just for the humid south.
    I believe they are much worse up North.
    My Pop took a senior trip to Canada and said they were thick there.

Alaska supposedly has some of the worst mosquitoes in the world....

I doubt anything works, but Themacell gets great reviews on Amazon.
    I am going to give it a shot this Summer.
    http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Deet does work, so will order in a case of that.

These other things never work. I even have one of those big units run by a propane tank --> now "free" if you pick it up. If anything, attracting more to the area for "the kill" is a bad idea. It is better to attract some bats and frogs.
    Killing all of them is not possible.

Repelling or killing them mechanically has also not worked for me or most.

My yard is not too bad, but even one bite drives me insane. I am weak.

This Thermacell crap puts out an aroma they supposedly hate for 15ft of protection. It heats up with a fuel cell.
    A pad lasts for "up to" 4 hours.
    The aroma is very slight, not strong like citronella (which has no effect).

If it does work, it might prove expensive for regular use.
    As I see it, it would need to be in an area where air movement is less like here in the Catbird chair. They sell them for belt wear as you hike, but that is not logical to me.

I'll report back with my experience on this.
    http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-Mos...rds=thermacell
    I am the only guy in a tie

I have used the ThermaCELL and it works quite well.

CPT
    I hear bear fat works, too !

The price of living without bugs/skeeters is living WITH liberals (out here in the land of the crazies). But relative to the annoyance that skeeters bring it's close to a fair tradeoff. But keep us posted; if you find something that repels them (like ThermaCELL), maybe it will work on libs as well and the rest of CA folks can order a tanker load :excitement:.
    (Seemed too frightening)

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

This works well for me.

Name:  YCbugtent.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  96.1 KB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033990PG/...332200_TE_item

Coleman 15 x 13 Instant Screened Canopy

I have been using this model for about 8 years now.
    I get about two years use before it needs replacing as I keep it up all year.
    I placed it on the cheep outdoor " grass " carpet from Home Depot.
    I just put this new one up the past weekend and will go ahead and order another for future use before it is discontinued. ( also the price goes up a little each year.)

However, I do agree about the bug spray, if working in the yard I use 80% DEET, Deep Woods Off.

I don't like to spray that stuff on me, but it is all that works.
    A few years back I was camping and instead of spraying the Off on myself, I instead sprayed down the cheep plastic lawn chair I was using.
    By the next morning it had melted holes in the plastic.

I think on that every time I reach for the spray bottle now.

CPT
    Toad wrote:
    "By the next morning it had melted holes in the plastic. I think on that every time I reach for the spray bottle now."

Yeah, I agree Toad! Dr. Bob Marshall (biochemist/naturalpathic doc) says anything that you put on your skin is basically the same as EATING it. But then again, skin is remarkable stuff that is impervious to a lot of nasty shit...and self repairing!
    (Seemed too frightening)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast