from the YardCrap Blog: http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap...o-control.html

Attachment 686
These virus things are getting out of control this year. So far nearly 2K people have it, and approaching 100 dead.
Those blood suckers must be hard to control. I know there is a fortune to be made for the person/company that comes up with something that works, so I suspect a lot of energy goes into that endeavor. Apparently there are 150 different types with 57 of them here in the Carolinas.

The only thing that works well is DEET. It is hard to believe a product discovered in the '40s is still the best we have.

Like most, I have tried many things over the years. I even got the expensive trap that works with a propane tank. The web is full of myths about things like Citronella, Avon products, etc. None of them are worth a damn. Neither bats nor purple martins are known to control or even significantly reduce mosquito populations.

The best one can do is follow advice you read every where these days -> lots of clothes, DEET, stay inside, no standing water, etc. I am outside a lot, like right now. It is too damn hot to wear much.

Here are a couple things that do help:
-- Out here on the porch, I use fans. They help keep them blown away like at the Beach or on my dock. If you have noticed, you never get bitten ON the shore line. That is due to the almost constant incoming breeze.
-- DEET - I oder in a dozen cans at a time from Amazon. I know it is safe, but I still don't like to spray it on me.
-- Fog - About 15 years ago I got a fogger. It does a good job if you use it every week. I first bought the electric one, and now have added the propane one. AMAZON The electric one works better, gives a stronger fog, but it is not as portable now that I have a bigger yard.
If you just have a small backyard, get the electric model. I mainly consentrate on my ground cover and bushes. I try to avoid my ponds. Fogging is a pain in the ass, but does work. Dawn or Dusk is best as no bees are out then, and the wind is less. Fogging is not very effective in a breeze. The Black Flag mixture at the box stores is too expensive. I order in a few bottles of this. AMAZON It works.
-- Garden Ponds help. The water is a magnet, works better than a $400 propane style trap. The mosquiters land on the water and the fish are eagerly waiting on them. I have a big bug light hanging over my big pond. Experts say they are not attracted to it, not sure about that. They work great for other bugs, and my fish, frogs, and turtles hover under it at night eating the bugs as they drop - lots of free protein! The dragonfly nymph eats mosquitoes at all stages of development and is quite effective in controlling populations.

Some research shows blood chemistry and even type is a factor. Some beauty product smells attract them. I use Ivory soap, and that's it. I rarely get bit, but my Bride does.

Any of you have a solution or a myth to share?