I live in the colder part of ZONE 7 (seems like Zone 3 this year).
It is time to get in the Fall Garden if you are planting seeds.

If you plant cabbage now, it will last on into a hard freeze. This is also the time to plant Kale and Spinach. You could even start planting some lettuce seed now, and keep replanting until freeze as it it cheap. Frost will not kill off established plants. Radishes are good to start as seed now, replant every two weeks.
Lots of bugs around now, so use DIPEL about every ten days. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_253lff2gea_e

Adjust by your zone. You can also put in plants grown in a nursery later on $$. The key now to planting seeds now is to keep the soil wet, which in the drought here in my garden means watering everyday. I use a timer.
On the porch, just started yet another pot of Basil, my favorite edible plant. I have lots now, and will have until frost.

Consider using a deck box. Last Winter, I used a few self watering containers on the deck. Being against the house made a difference from plants in the yard. It was a mild Winter. I had all the Spinach I could eat all Winter, plus a lot of Cabbage. The mixed lettuce did OK but got kinda bitter.

Try a pot with Spinach on your deck. The more you pick, the more it grows. Add it to a little Mayo and peanut butter and you have a great sandwich.