Thread: World's Best Bird Feeder

Smile World's Best Bird Feeder

I have started rebuilding my bird feeding area.
    It needs refreshing. Also the bear has damaged some things.

My Sparrow feeder needs to be replaced before migration as it is very old and worn out.
    The first part is the "sitting and thinking". I enjoy that part as it involves cold beer. To enjoy the other parts, need to wait until the temps drop, and just do a little each morning.
    The "sitting and thinking" will go on as I gather the parts.

A new feeder needs to be built from scratch. I'll post exact measurements, photos, and instructions so even folks in Rio Linda can assemble one. You can't buy this quality downtown. This will be the 'World's Best Feeder' and cost a fraction of buying one.

I'll update this thread with details as I progress, as I know all are interested.

I am the only guy in a tie

I am an expert as I took wood working for one semester in 8th grade.

I have made some sketches of the new feeder and bought some cedar wood. I like cedar as it is light. I don't like cedar as it is expensive.
    I'll post photos and measurments as I assemble. You can cut all the pieces at one tme, and then just assemble them with a few screws. It will be as easy as playing with Tinker Toys.

The base for this feeder will be 18" X "24". The roof will be 30"X40". One thing store bought feeders never have is a large roof to keep the rain off. It will also have a porous bottom to keep seed dry. It will have perches (give a bird places to land/sit, and it will).

This feeder will only require four 1"X2"X8' boards and three 1"x6"x8' Tongue and Groove boards.
    Go ahead and get that in. I'll use cedar as it is light weight, but whitewood or pine is much cheaper and stronger.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I'm going to make one when you post instructions. I took woodshop in HS, and I have a table saw. I should be able to make one.

I'm interested. It will not be too much longer before I will have lots of time to do these things. I have one major project to get started on & complete before Thanksgiving. That project is a new wood fence so I will not have to look at my neighbor. It will require new post in the ground (14 I think) I have already purchased a new set of post hole diggers as my old ones (50 years old) have worn out. I have also purchase 4 post (4 X 6) and cut the tops to look nice. Once I get started, I hope I can complete in a couple of weeks. I could go ahead and purchase the remaining posts and cut them to look nice and have it ready to go. I'll take before and after pics and post once my daughter educates me on picture posting. Again, it will not be long before I'll have more time to learn and do that to.

SMA
    Mike, years ago, with the help of a friend, I put up a split rail fence with 15 or so posts. I rented a 2 man gas post hole digger. It was much better than manual post hole diggers, and didn't cost that much.

Chuck, about 35 years ago I built a cedar split rail fence (100 yards long) at my previous residence. I cut the cedar trees down and split the rails myself. I used the smaller part of the trees for posts. All hand dug with the diggers I have retired. We live on a farm growing up and have dug a lot of post holes in the past. I guess I like to do things the hard way. Digging these holes will bring back some memories. I'm going to dig the holes as I go. Will probably dig 4 at a time, then put in new post and fencing. I'm looking forward to this job. A lot of folks think I'm crazy, but I actually enjoy doing this type of thing.

I will need to dig 2 new holes 2' deep. With the roots and rocks, not looking forward to it.
    I helped a friend use the gas digger for a fence. That thing rocks, and it is quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    I'm going to make one when you post instructions. I took woodshop in HS, and I have a table saw. I should be able to make one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    I'm interested. .
    Chuck, I guarentee you can.
    This project has moved along quickly. In fact all left to do is stain and mount.
    I cut all the wood at one time, then sat on my deck to assemble it --> perfect fit!
    Sitting down was good as I have walked 3 miles each morning this week, and being out of shape, that takes away my energy.

The feeder is light, tight as a drum, and strong .
    I'll be updating in a couple days.

Worlds Best Bird Feeder Instructions

Tools
    -- Saw
    -- drill and screws or hammer and nails -- 1-1/2" and 2"
    I use deck screws, always keep many sizes on hand. Screws are easy and pull things tight.

Lumber (Lowes)
    Cedar boards
    -- Four 1-in x 2-in x 8-ft $7 each
    -- Three 1-in x 6-in x 8-ft Tongue and Groove Edge - $26 each
    (You can use white board which is stronger and much cheaper, but heaver)

Hardware cloth
    Fiberglass screen material
    Rope, dowel rod, or some old outdoor electrical cord -- (I have some 3/8th cheap rope)

=========================================

Step one -- cut your lumber.
    -- 1"X6" (is more like 1/2 X5)
    cut 6@40"
    Name:  boadrs2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  89.5 KB

-- 1"X2" (is more like 1/2X3/4)
    4@24"
    2@32"
    2@19"
    2@14"
    2@13"
    3@30"
    Name:  boards1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  126.1 KB

Step two -- Tack your 2 base layers together. One nail/screw in each corner is enough.
    Name:  base1.jpg
Size:  110.1 KBName:  base2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  180.6 KB

Step three -- tack your roof together using one 30" in the middle.
    Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  180.3 KB

Step Four -- cut hardware cloth to fit bottom base layer
    cut fiberglass screen to fit bottom base layer
    (I tack these down with a staple gun to hold them as I trim)
    Name:  hardcloth.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  138.3 KBName:  fibercloth.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  117.2 KB

Step Five -- tack top base onto bottom base.
    Name:  bottomfinish.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  99.2 KB

Step Six -- attach roof posts to base (use one screw so you can adjust some in next step)
    Name:  roofbraces.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  114.0 KB

Step Seven -- attack roof braces to roof posts (go back and add another screw to the bottom of posts, that will be one in the front and one in the side)
    Name:  roofbrace2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  94.4 KB

Step Eight -- attach roof to roof braces. You should now have a sturdy, tight feeder.
    Name:  addroof.jpg
Size:  94.0 KB

Step Nine -- paint/stain and route perch rope through holes.
    Name:  F1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  150.5 KB
    Name:  F2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  145.4 KB
    Name:  F3.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  146.2 KB

Step Ten -- your are done, grab a cold beer.

Name:  beer.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  77.0 KB

I appreciate all the feedback. I guess the silence is that.
    I suppose most are into a yard decoration as opposed to function.
    This is not a decoration.

Yard work is hard for me these days, especially in heat.
    Today got up two posts for the feeders. Hauling 240lbs of sacrete is hard these days. Digging holes is hard. My advice is never grow old .

If the creeks don't rise, will have the feeders mounted in a couple days, so expect photos.

SMA
    That bird feeder looks really good. I'm slow, but I have a project coming up to add two upright 4 X 4s, with another 4 X 4 spanning the tops, on which I can hang bird feeders. Probably won't get started till I get back from my 60th HS reunion in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    That bird feeder looks really good. I'm slow, but I have a project coming up to add two upright 4 X 4s, with another 4 X 4 spanning the tops, on which I can hang bird feeders. Probably won't get started till I get back from my 60th HS reunion in a few weeks.
    I have thought on things like that. You will need 10 foot 4X4.
    I like it!!

For this season am moving a couple and refreshing the paint with a brighter color -- red.
    I think it will be a fun change.

Migration is days away.

Chuck, "have post hole diggers - will travel"

Name:  pppp.png
Views: 178
Size:  3.1 KB

Yall ignoring this thread will change nothing.
    If before Christmas I don't post a photo with a couple dozen birds on it, I'll kiss your wife.

Name:  hh.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  hhhh.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  94.0 KB
    I am the only guy in a tie