Thread: Hummer

Hummer

At my home the Hummingbirds seem to be near the end of nesting.
    For yall in Rio Linda, here is how it works:

--- HBs arrive at my place 1st week of April. After the long, impossible flight from South America they are happy to see some nourishment. They soon appear on the porch less as they have come here to breed.

--- They build tiny nests. Like many birds, their job then is to catch insects (protein) for their baby kids. It takes a lot of tiny insects to raise a baby Hummingbird, so they are very busy.

--- Work done, they look for food to fatten up before the long, dangerous journey back to South America.
    This is when they are on our sugar water feeders most of the day.
    They buzz at each other and guard feeders (so space out many). I believe part of this battle is to toughen up the baby birds. Soon they too will have to attempt that long journey. I notice in my yard toward dark all eat with less to no battle.

Get some fresh food in your feeders and maybe add a couple.
    I am the only guy in a tie

We put up two new feeders about 6 weeks ago and have no activity. I don't know why.

Well after several weeks of lots of hummers they are now few and far between. We went from 3 or more fighting over the feeders to only 1 at a time since we got back from vacation. I guess they are migrating.

Need to refill the other feeders tomorrow. Seems like we have more deer that anything in the yard these days. It is fun to watch the deer. We have actually had 8 to 10 in the yard at one time. They seem to come as a herd and come in one gate and stays for a while and eat and then go out the other gate. I have piles of deer poop all over the yard.

We have had 2 hummers this past week. Only have one feeder out, but they seem to share. First hummers we have seen this year. Must be on their way South for the winter. Also have 4 deer in the neighbors back yard every evening. See lots of rabbits in the yard early in the morning. Our neighbor, behind us who has the deer in their yard also have a big ground hog that comes out in the evening before dark. This neighbor is a hoarder and house, carport, & yard looks like @#&*!. Also see a few squirrels running around. Lots of wildlife running around the neighborhood these days. Fun to watch and see.

My rabbit and squirrel population has been thinned out by the hawks from across the street. The squirrels get in my attic and I have bought a sound device that is supposed to keep them out. If that doesn't work I get out the pellet gun. They have done damage to wires etc and I do not need my house to burn down. I like all the critters. They are great to watch. When they invade my space and cause me risk to property that is serious then it is either them or me and I pick me.

My next door neighbor, who is a big guy and works for the railroad, ask me if I would install an exhaust fan with light over his bathtub/shower. As a jack of all trades and expert at , I agreed since I was small and could get around in his attic which he could not. I got the job completed and all worked. As I was working up in his attic, I found out he had a squirrel problem. He put wire around the vents on the gable end and I guess that solved the problem. He did have a mess in his attic. Not sure what he did about all that. All I did was the electrical and installation, at it was for free. Did not care to clean up all the squirrel mess and trash. He is an okay neighbor, but not for that. However, I would do anything for those here on this forum free of charge.

I don't seem to get much of any mess just lots of noise and some damage. I think I would have to put wire over the eve vents. that would be a job and I would have to make a bigger hole in the wall between the main attic and the area over the bonus. There is a big hole they knocked through to run stuff in and out during construction. I was going to cut a larger opening there so the vent exhaust fan would pull more air from that area. I think when it cools off I will look into what I can easily do.