Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Tomatoes are planted

2022 Tomatoes are planted

Not that any are interested, but here is a mator update. Some of this will be repetitive as I might also post it on a Clemson Forum.

========================

Finally got my mators planted today. It was a lot of work, will be sitting on my ass the rest of today.
    I harvested the rest of the spinach, lots of it still growing well.

I am using 5 of these pots again.

Name:  pot.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  14.2 KB
    Last season my mators grew too well, enough to open a road side stand.
    Here is my Bride with them:
    Name:  kmatto.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  84.4 KB

==============

I dumped the dirt from a pot into a wheel barrow. I am using last year's dirt again (saves me $70).
    I mixed in Tomato Tone and dolomite. I would have liked to have gotten the dolomite mixed in a couple weeks back, but that is not what happened.

Name:  tone.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  64.9 KB
    Name:  dddd.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  108.2 KB

The wicks from last season were there, so added them back plus two more to the pot. I have no idea if that helps, but know my mators were well watered from the bottom last season with this system.
    Name:  wicks.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  61.4 KB

Filled dirt to the top, dug a small hole on each corner to hold a half cup of fertilizer.

Name:  fert.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  159.0 KB

I built a 2" mound on top and stretched a plastic cover over. These are watered from "wicking" up from the bottom. This does work, and importantly keeps the plants at a consistent moisture level.

Then I repeated that for the other 4 pots. The plants are tucked away and ready to grow. They get full Sun on my dock and lots of fresh river water.

Name:  photo2021.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  144.4 KB

I got some beer and am sitting on the porch dreaming on my first mator sandwich.

This year scaled back a little. I put two "determinate" plants that reach just 3 feet high in pots 2 and 4.
    I used something new to me - 'Summer Sandwich'. "A rich, juicy slicing tomato perfect for sandwiches with delicious, old-fashion tomato flavor". I hope that is true.
    Name:  summer.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  57.4 KB

In pots 1 and 5 put 'Park's Whopper CR Improved'.
    In the middle (pot 3) put a 'Big Boy'.
    Those are mators I have grown for years, and they are hard to beat for size, flavor, and yield.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Your tomatoes did much better than mine last year. Earlier today, I ordered the tomato tone and dolomite lime from Amazon. I'm going to use new dirt this year, but depending on how yours does this year with old dirt, I may try that next year. I'm going to get one of those cement mixing boxes to mix mine on top of the boat dock. Can't easily get a wheelbarrow up there. I think I'll try your idea with the wicks. I probably won't put mine out till the end of April, although it's probably safe now. You'll have a head start on me. As usual, I've started my plants from seed.

SMA
    Hey man, help me out with some proportions. How much of the dolomite lime and tomato tone did you mix in with 2CU ft of soil?

I am getting tired just thinking about all that work. I have had to cut back on tomatoes as they cause an issue with the arthritis I have in my hands from rock climbing and over doing it in '99 and 2000.

Mator plants are growing fast and look healthy. All have blooms. It looks like another good year of tasty mators.

Today I took out my dock ladders and replaced them with dock stairs. Now, if I had a dog, she could run up.
    Loosing my dog almost killed me. Rosie would not need these as no way was she going into the water.

All I have now is a Bride as old as me. We like to swim in the Tugaloo. Now after we dive in, we can walk out.
    Don't even ask how much this set me back

SMA
    Well, I was a lot later than you getting my tomatoes planted. I used some of your advice as far as soil amendments. I had some rubber tree rings that I cut to size with my table saw to use as mulch, and got a soil humidity guage so I can water when needed, and not over water which I've probably done in the past. I also planted a few pepper plants which I started from seed. Here's my 2022 tomatoes as of last week.
    Name:  2022 tomato plants.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  24.0 KB

- - - Updated - - -

I've got to see those dock stairs. I need some. This week is catching up on things around the house before leaving for 5 days at St. Simons Island. Saturday, I've got an all day hand gun training class conducted by the Toccoa PD.

Looks like ya'll got the tomato plants up and running. I predict a bountiful harvest. Let me know when they come and I'll bring the white bread, mayonnaise, pepper and salt. Umm Good!

now you made me hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    Looks like ya'll got the tomato plants up and running. I predict a bountiful harvest. Let me know when they come and I'll bring the white bread, mayonnaise, pepper and salt. Umm Good!
    Did you mean "white bread, DUKES, pepper and salt"???

I thought Dukes was the only mayonnaise that existed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    Well, I was a lot later than you getting my tomatoes planted.
    Snapped this today when coming in from fishing.

Name:  mmmm.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  147.5 KB

Hellmans Real Mayonaise. That is what we had until I came down south. I think it is the best...still.

I remember hearing about Hellmans when I was growing up, but the only brands in the stores was Blueplate & Dukes. Hellmans must have been a more expensive brand. I don't think I ever have tasted it before. Dukes has a distinct taste to it. I remember the ads on tv as "Hellmans, The Real Mayonnaise".

there was another tv add that ended "bring out the Hellmans and bring out the best". Odd what we remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast