Thread: Heat an Mators

Heat an Mators

In the UpState the temps have been a little high for this early.
    This has zero to do with man made global warming.
    It is the El Niño and La Niña pattern that has been around for a million years.

Dec, Jan, Mar had good rainfall. We were down in Apr, and May has been worse. We don't really have a rainy or dry season here and average about 4.5 inches in any month.
    Right now my yard is dry, no real rain is predicted.

Below is not my yard or from my weather station but the Corps of Engineers chart which is near the end of Hartwell Lake. It gives a good over view average of the area.

Name:  canvas.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  108.6 KB

Mators like temps in the 70's. Here when it gets into the 90's mators stop producing and crank up again in the cooler Fall temps (fried green mators).

Will this early heat wave effect our mators. Yes, but not so much the heat. The deal is more water is needed. Many will not water their mators "as often" as needed. Mators don't like lots of water/no water. They like constant moisture.

Mine are doing OK, and I already have a few tiny green ones.

Name:  mmmm.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  109.1 KB

I did not know that about temps and growing maters. We have also seen a slow down in rain. It is supposed to pick up next week with 50 to 60% chance several days. Everything is green now but you can already see things reacting to the temps and lack of rain.

We have a peach tree in the yard and it is full of peaches. They got some sort if issue last year and the wife thinks she should have sprayed them. I would love to have some peaches to pick off my own tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post

We have a peach tree in the yard and it is full of peaches. They got some sort if issue last year and the wife thinks she should have sprayed them. I would love to have some peaches to pick off my own tree.
    Not to sound like a "know it all" but ----

It is difficult to produce good peaches unless you spray early and often. Start when you see the first leaves.

Well we have certainly screwed up yet again.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I sometimes sound like a "know it all". A friend got me a t-shirt, which, although it is worn and thread bare, I still proudly wear. It is embroidered with the large letters "FKIA", which stands for fucking know it all. I got the title not so much as knowing stuff, but an exhibited attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    I sometimes sound like a "know it all". A friend got me a t-shirt, which, although it is worn and thread bare, I still proudly wear. It is embroidered with the large letters "FKIA", which stands for fucking know it all. I got the title not so much as knowing stuff, but an exhibited attitude.

Chuck, I know some things about you.
    One thing I know is you actually do know it all (or at least a lot of it).
    You have experienced things from many areas. You are in fact a "Renaissance Man".

You tend to keep your knowledge to yourself until asked. You have helped me many, many times.
    Name:  e6aa5c9065361302c6a8d70a424866dc.gif
Views: 359
Size:  7.70 MB

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Hey man, I'm headed to St. Simons Island, GA till next weekend. Hopefully when I get back the boat will be OK. We need to get together and compare notes on tomatoes and have a few beers.