Thread: Grow a Pair

Grow a Pair

--or maybe a pear?

If you have some down time from your busy schedule, you could take up Bingo, or macrame. I have become a decent rough style carpenter just by "doing".

20 years back my best friend Carol decided we should take the Master Gardener courses (she in Arkansas and me in Clemson). I still have things growing in my yard that she sent to me.
    The deal is if you attend 'Extension Master Gardener Program' classes, you will meet new friends, and also learn fun things.
    "Participants receive at least 40 hours of intensive, practical horticultural training". That is not enough to earn you college credits but time well spent and fun. Take it on with a friend if you have one.

Carol just had guys like me teaching her, but I had actual Clemson Professors with doctorates as Clemson is an AG college second to . I would tease her that I learned a million times more than her. Carol's IQ was about 200, so that would set her off.

What do you learn? Am I now an expert on all plants? No one is that. You learn some basics of plant life.

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/mg/
    I am the only guy in a tie

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I also am a Master Gardener. One of the requirements was to do volunteer work. I found myself going with a group and weeding parks and such. Shit, I don't even weed that much at home. I did learn some good stuff though. If I ever get back into growing container tomato plants, I'll consult with AO's postings for advice.

No maters last year, but I am back home now.
    I already ordered new plastic tops.
    You top water, I bottom water, both seems to work well.
    I have been looking into a system that will auto draw water from the lake on a timer.

I believe one key to better maters is consistent moisture.

I'll crank up in March, will post if YC is still up and running.
    I am the only guy in a tie

My wife and I have once again started to think about a vegetable garden. If we have one I will have to build a cage around it so the local animals don't use it as a salad bar as they have in the past.

When I mow the lawn and vacuum up the leaves I dump them in the back area of our natural area. As the stuff decomposes it must give off a bit of heat as the deer spend a lot of time laying on or next to those big long piles. The deer roam all around here but they will sometimes hang around our yard for much of a day and sometimes you will see where they spent the night in our back yard.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife and I have once again started to think about a vegetable garden. If we have one I will have to build a cage around it so the local animals don't use it as a salad bar as they have in the past.

When I mow the lawn and vacuum up the leaves I dump them in the back area of our natural area. As the stuff decomposes it must give off a bit of heat as the deer spend a lot of time laying on or next to those big long piles. The deer roam all around here but they will sometimes hang around our yard for much of a day and sometimes you will see where they spent the night in our back yard.