Thread: Urine on your plants

Urine on your plants

I am also submitting this to Dr Asole who was one of my professors at Clemson in the hope he will raise the grade he gave me decades ago.

For this post from your local YC Master Gardner, will use the word "peepee" as a noun and a verb to keep things civil.. That was not necessary for Professor Asole as he cussed a lot.

==========================

Is it good to peepee on your plants?
    Humans have been using peepee as fertilizer long before the invention of modern chemical fertilizers.

Peepee contains around 95% water and the rest is a mix of sodium, potassium, chloride, urea, and uric acid. Due to the high water content in pee, the more you drink, the more you have to go. For a healthy person, human peepee typically has a pH of around 6.2.

According to the Stockholm Environment Institute, a person can produce peepee per year to fertilize 300-400 square meters of crops! The urine that a family produces is more than enough to help sustain a home garden.

If adopted at scale, capitalizing on human peepee could tackle both sanitation and food security challenges around the world.

====================

I sit on the porch watch my yard critters, play tunes, and drink beer.
    Beer makes me peepee off the deck.
    Is that good or bad for the plants below?

My peepee is like the fine wine of peepee as I only drink great beer.
    If you have a lot of toxic things going into your body, then you likely have more toxic things come out in your peepee, and this post may not be relevant to you.

Here are some reasons to peepee on your plants:
    --- Nutrient Powerhouse
    --- Immediately Usable by Plants
    --- Free Fertilizer
    --- Constant Supply if you are a beer drinker
    --- It Works! (but does it??)

Fresh urine doesn’t stink, but who cares as plants can't smell.

Peepee is a very strong fertilizer. So, it needs to be diluted. The urea in peepee is already diluted by about 95%, but it needs to be diluted by about 900% total to be safe for use as a natural fertilizer.
    I think this may be why nothing grows near my deck. I am sure drinking too much beer is not possible, but maybe too much peepee is less than perfect.

On well established perennial plants, the ground will dilute it, so peepee away, or just toss it to your neighbor's yard.

Name:  bbbb.gif
Views: 204
Size:  808.5 KB

Once read that many years ago, folks who had athletes feet peed on them to cure the fungus. I haven't tried/tested it yet, but who knows. Pee may have many uses.
    Just returned today from a hike in at Len Foote in Amicalola Falls State Park. Hiked in 5 miles, spent the night a a basic lodge in the middle of nowhere. This lodge has solar panels that supplies over 80% of the electricity needed to run the place. Also has bathrooms that catches the peepee and dodo which is composted at some point. Any food waste is also composted. Whatever you pack in, you pack out. No waste cans available. They gave us a tour of the place while we were there. Fed you supper and breakfast. A O would appreciate this place. Views are good. Peaceful place. My Bride and I went. Sore today.

PeePee also may drive away deer from plants...not sure if this is true.