Thread: Fall Migration 2021

Fall Migration 2021

I posted here on YC minutes ago that Fall Migration has not started.

Then posing on the copper spinner was a Warbler trying to get to the Branch for water. Cardinal scared him off, but I got a couple bad photos seconds later. Maybe I can get better later?
    Name:  chestnut777.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  192.2 KB

I know most will disagree, but this is a Chestnut-sided Warbler which is very rare in my neck of the woods. This the adult male in his Winter feathers.

Here is the old Cardinal who does not want to share the Branch -
    Name:  card777.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  191.1 KB

watching birds can be a great deal of fun.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet landed about 5 foot away going to the suet log. Camera battery was dead. This is the earliest I have seen one.
    Here is a stock photo:
    Name:  king.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  45.4 KB

A few spend every Winter with me, mostly eating at the suet log. Similar is the Golden-crowned Kinglet which I also get most years.

This is 2021 Migrant #2 for me.

Post to this thread if you see a migrant.

Three Fall Warblers are out here today.
    The Chestnut mentioned a couple days back is still hanging around.
    Joining him is a Tennessee Warbler and a Prothonotary Warbler. Getting a decent photo as is hard as they are quick and don't sit still. They are in my Elm Trees gleaning bugs off the leaves.
    I do have some decent photos of the Prothonotary.

Name:  Prothonotary800.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  pw777.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  55.0 KB

Beautiful pics, when I read the title I thought you were talking about the Haitians.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/202...r-panama-says/

Today have a female Black & White Warbler. Getting a decent photo has been impossible.

I would feel blind without binoculars. It has been a rare day during the last 30 years when I have not had use of them.
    I have binoculars inside at different windows as one never knows what bird might appear. I would never consider leaving home in the boat or Jeep without a pair.

On the porch is one I have had for many years. It is old but is a very good one - Leica Ultra 12X50 HD. I have no problem getting a good view of the birds with it.
    Name:  uv.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  194.3 KB

Getting a photo good enough to ID the bird is much more difficult. Birds jump around. Trees have leaves and twigs so getting focus is difficult for a guy like me.

Name:  bbw777.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  b&W777.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  66.4 KB

Northern Parula just showed. No photo. That makes 6 migrants so far

Wow, just googled your binoculars and they run $2500! I'm getting ready for a hunting trip end of the month and thought I might order a pair but think my $100 spotting scope will have to do this time around..

Been chasing a Warbler across the tree tops trying to get a photo good enough to have positive ID. It is a difficult endeavor. I am glad digital photos are free. I could never afford snapping all these photos using film.

I took the card out of the camera to look at the 50 photos and see if I caught it in focus as my geezer hands are shaky. It then landed about 6 foot from my chair when the camera was not ready.
    No matter as I got a couple photos way up in the Elm Tree that are OK.
    I am judging this to be a female Magnolia Warbler.

Name:  Magnolia Warbler777.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  183.7 KB

My favorite Winter bird arrived today. This is the first Winter bird to arrive in my yard this year. Unlike most migrants, he will stay with me all Winter.
    I always have a few of these Pine Warblers who eat suet near my chair. They get quite tame. Some have a lot more yellow. This must be an old friend from last year as he came right to the porch, no fear of me.

Name:  Pine Warbler777.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  63.1 KB