Thread: Armadillo

Armadillo

Every night for ten years go out after dark to get my cat in. He is the KING of these parts. This is a rather rural area in Oconee with 2-3 acre lots when you add in core. The few neighbors here know and welcome him. I ask them to throw him outside after dark. I walk up the road with an occasional whistle until he shows. I am afraid of a coyote getting him. Carrying home a hundred pound cat is good exercise. He rides and directs the flashlight.

I see things as I walk along in the dark. There is a lot of wildlife about. Last night would say 90% chance I saw an Armadillo. I have never seen one in my entire life, so that made my day.

Now I need a photo. Carrying a cat and a camera might be more work than my old ass can do.

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  102.5 KB

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I've seen dead ones on the side of the road, but "ain't never" seen a live one around my house. They can be a pain in the ass. They burrow and can tear up a yard or a crawl space under a house.

I saw my first armadillo at Jekyll Island, Ga when I was about 7 years old. That was where I saw my first deer also. The armadillos began to migrate north several years ago and have come in force. It's just a matter of time before you see one. Chuck is right. They will tear your yard up. Folks over here call them "possum on the half-shell". Deer did the same thing back in the 60's migrating up the state of Ga. ​

I have only seen one dead on the road. I don't remember where. Might have been in Alabama. They seem to be a warmer climate critter so when we have warmer periods for 10 years or so I guess they migrate. A cooler decade or so may slow them down or reverse the migration.

Global Warming no doubt. That's what all the politicians said caused all the recent flooding in Tennessee last week.

Why not. It causes blizzards, and even poverty and terrorism according to the asshat leftists. I bookmarked Climate Depot website. It has really good data and is updated all the time.

Good News !

Last night in the driveway walking around was a huge Armadillo.
    Paid little attention to me and slowly walked off into the brush.

My Armadillo (have named him 'AMMO") is alive and well. I put out my critter cam and got him this week.

One place he likes is the soft soil in my walk way flower bed. He is digging there for grubs, slugs, and insects.
    Daffodils are up there, soon Tulips will be. In Summer usually plant shade things like inpatients there, doubt that will work this year.
    Maybe it will, and he will keep them bug free?
    Either way, have lots of flowers, just one Armadillo.

Well some small animal got down my chimney and could not get out and has died. Tomorrow I will have to open the flu and get it out. Nasty crap. I need to get my chimney cap put back on if I can find someone who can get up that high.

I got a photo --
    Notice the Clemson orange

Name:  ammo.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  166.7 KB

I think I see a bit of purple as well.