Thread: Alien on Humming bird feeder!

CSM

Alien on Humming bird feeder!

I have a Downy Woodpecker drinking from our Hummingbird feeders! This is a first for us.

The population of Hummers at our place has exploded in the last couple of weeks as it usually does this time of year. Had to buy more sugar today and now I will have to refresh the feeders almost every day. It is a constant show while I sit on our deck.

Not much bird activity as I have to get more seed but we are slowly getting more and more deer. This afternoon a young male with two new antlers was having a nice rest under the bushes outside our kitchen window. I have to get my tripod and attach the scope so I can get some good sightings.

CSM
    That woodpecker keeps coming back for more sugar water every day! I looked online and found out that it is pretty common. Not a problem but something to enjoy.

I always have out about a dozen HB feeders. As usual attendance is less during nesting and is now picking up. Soon I will have to retire the 8oz feeders and bring out the big boys.

I have never seen a bird at them. You would think maybe an Oriole before a woodpecker, guess he has a sweet tooth.
    I have had a giant praying mantis (photos here on YC somewhere) sitting on them trying to catch a HB.

Try to get a photo.