Thread: Hummers at your place?

Hybrid View

CSM

Hummers at your place?

I finally saw my first hummers yesterday - April 8th. Two showed up and they may have been here a few days since I have not spent much time watching the feeders.

I have not seen any yet this year. I normally have them in my yard even without any specific feeders. I have 5 feeders and I have to fill them constantly with new seed mix. Since I am on the road for work I only get to do this over the weekend.

My first arrived on April 9. Last year it was March 27.
    For many years have written the dates of arrival and departure in my bird book as I am kinda a bird nerd.

Average in my yard is first days of April. Last year was the earliest, twice the latest has been April 12th.

I start out with many smaller feeders to attract them in as they deserve a free meal after thier long journey - have out 12 right now.
    Some will stop by for a snack and move on. Some will remain and nest.
    Like many birds, during nesting they guard a territory, so only a few will show at my feeders over Summer. They will be busy collecting bugs for the young as they need protein, not sugar water.

After the young fledge, activity at the feeders increases. In late Summer not only will I have mine, but others from the area will join in. Over Summer will just keep out a few feeders as more is more trouble to clean and fill -> activity is light in Summer and feeders will spoil or ferment. I change them once a week even if near full.
    Around August will need to bring out the big 32 and 40 ounce feeders as the smaller ones will go empty in a day.

Over years at Christmas have given feeders to all my neighbors. Some are into it more now, so that is a plus.

Most of my Winter birds have left. Today is a couple White-throated Sparrows and a few Chipping Sparrows. That may be it except --

I still have about 20 Pine Siskins out of the million that were here.
    It is raining, and the neighborhood cat (The Devil) who has no home is sitting on my lap to stay warm and dry. About ten Siskins are in the Branch in the rain taking a fun bath. They prefer to bath in a group, rain is OK with them.

I have seen no Summer Migrants.
    I am the only guy in a tie

I finally have one hummer at my house. There is a spider web which is more like a cob web and the bird is eating something out of it. The web is right by a den window so we see the bird each morning and then in the evening. My wife has ordered some feeders that I will hang near the widow next to the pond.

Filled up my bird feeders on Saturday and the seed was gone by Sunday evening. 3 feeders. There other feeder which is harder to eat from just a bit still has about half the seed. The filter in the pond has a sprayer on top to spray out the water pulled through the filter. Birds sit on it and wash their butts.

It is time to get your Hummingbird feeders out.
    I have kept record of 1st arrival for the last 20 years (but recently lost my bird log).

They arrive almost to the day (Apr 5) at my UpState home. They arrive earlier other places.

Don't delay, those tiny guys make a miraculous trip to get to your place, give them a little help.

Here are some old photos from my home about 20 miles from Clemson.

Name:  h1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  h2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  54.8 KB