Thread: Frogs

Hybrid View

Frogs

Chuck asked if I had seen any BullFrogs this year.
    I see them all Winter. Like snakes and turtles, they don't actually hibernate. On any Sunny day one might choose to appear. BullFrogs eat anything they can stuff into their mouth, have seen them jump up trying to catch small birds. Like other cold blooded local critters, they can't digest food in Winter.

Some years I bring in BullFrog tadpoles. Watching them turn to frogs excites me as much as when I was ten.
    The deal for most with a garden pond is a frog will stay forever if he is happy. In time, mine tend to drift to the lake. I have always had a few for the last 20 years, but they don't take over and don't lay eggs in my ponds. I do gather eggs from the lake (tree frogs) and add them to my frog pond where no fish are kept. K claims if the neighbor's knew the deafening sound they make in Summer was on me -> I would be ~~?

I can see I have at least 5 grown BullFrogs right now.
    Pretty sure I will add a hundred BullFrog tadpoles this year because --> why not? I spread them among my 4 small ponds. They make a very interesting addition to an aquarium, but I can't risk something they might bring along to my aquarium, so keep them outside.
    Here is one near my new alligator:

Name:  frog777.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  111.8 KB

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I love that deafening sound they make. Maybe they are here and I just haven't heard them yet. I'll keep my ears tuned in.

I like to hear the bullfrogs. It always reminds me back when I was a kid and went camping. We always camped near a pond and they croaked all night. It was the crickets and bullfrogs making the music while we sat around the campfire. It was back in a time when a kid like me had no worries. Not sure if those kind of times exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    I love that deafening sound they make. Maybe they are here and I just haven't heard them yet. I'll keep my ears tuned in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    I like to hear the bullfrogs. It always reminds me back when I was a kid and went camping. We always camped near a pond and they croaked all night. It was the crickets and bullfrogs making the music while we sat around the campfire. It was back in a time when a kid like me had no worries. Not sure if those kind of times exist anymore.
    Posts like these make my day !!

I am the only guy in a tie

As a kid I camped many times on Mr. J. D. Cronic's land not too far from where I grew up. We set the tent up in his pasture near the pond. We were not near any roads or houses. At night the only light we had was the campfire and our cheap flashlights (batteries were about dead before the next day). We pissed behind the tent and took a crap in the field. Cooked on the open campfire. I camped there with the Boy Scouts and sometimes with my friend and his dad. One time we caught our fish and cooked them for supper. Last year I went to see my friend's dad. It was for his son's funeral, who was my childhood friend that I camped with. His dad spoke of our camping trips together at his son's funeral. He spoke about us catching and cooking the fish. Post like these make me think back to a time ????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    As a kid I camped many times on Mr. J. D. Cronic's land not too far from where I grew up. We set the tent up in his pasture near the pond. We were not near any roads or houses. At night the only light we had was the campfire and our cheap flashlights (batteries were about dead before the next day). We pissed behind the tent and took a crap in the field. Cooked on the open campfire. I camped there with the Boy Scouts and sometimes with my friend and his dad. One time we caught our fish and cooked them for supper. Last year I went to see my friend's dad. It was for his son's funeral, who was my childhood friend that I camped with. His dad spoke of our camping trips together at his son's funeral. He spoke about us catching and cooking the fish. Post like these make me think back to a time ????
    ** All Star Post **

Maybe we need the gnomes to put up an archive forum for post voted to it?

Any agree?