Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weather

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    At 3PM see Tony has had .56in and temp is 59.
    I have .32 and it is 64.
    Yes but you caught up with me by the time the rain ended. I had 1.25 in and you had 1.32! Temp at 7:50 for me is still 59 and you are 62. Hoping for dry weather for the coming week!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Yes but you caught up with me by the time the rain ended. I had 1.25 in and you had 1.32! Temp at 7:50 for me is still 59 and you are 62. Hoping for dry weather for the coming week!

I am up to 1.49.
    The deal is if weather comes over the mountain, you get more. Most times it comes up I-85 and while I get less than Anderson, you get less than me.
    Most weather swings below the Blue Ridge and up though Atlanta.
    The fun weather breaks over the Blue Ridge.
    I am the only guy in a tie

Rain

Rain is finally on the way. We have been very dry for the past month or so. We have only had a few days of rain. Looks like we may have a few days of steady rainfall now.

Rain has been good here, this has been a nice wet Summer.

On the porch watching rain fall playing the Blues. I am not blue, but in a good mood. Funny how playing the Blues can do that for you. During every lull the birds come for a snack and some turtles hit the log. One big one don't mind some rain on him, seems to like it.

We were doing well here until September. We had good rain in June and July and well into August and then it mostly stopped. The trees and grasses etc in McAlpine have grown like crazy the past two years with mild winters and lots of rain. The main bike way from Monroe to Sardis is now mostly shaded until around 10:30 am. Even in late July and early August there was a lot of shade. I remain amazed at what great job was done a few years ago to raise the level of the trails and bikeway and fix the creeks and put in bridges. Flood damage has been non existent. We just get some mud on the asphalt and they come in and clean it off. Now that a ton of grass and other ground cover has grown back the mud flow has been dramatically reduced.

Finally started to get cold. I don't much like cold weather even though I have all the gear I need to stay warm. The weather has been really nice although we need a lot more rain, a lot more rain. The current weather is about a cold as I like. It will warm a bit next week and then turn cold. The wooly worm as predicted a cold start and a cold end to winter. It has been pretty much on the money for the several years I have made note of the worm forecast.

Sunday we leave for Nassau. Not happy about it. We made the arrangements early may when we thought all of the covid BS would be in the rear view mirror. The crap we have to go through to get on the plane and then do every day while there would have stopped us from every going. My wife has to take 22 hours of CE every year and she picks places where the speakers and topics are really good. We had a choice of New Orleans or Nassau and my wife thought Nassau would be good. We have been there in the past for my job so we thought it would be a good trip.
    If you get caught not wearing a mask in a specified mask area you can get a $250.00 fine and jail time. We will get an e-mail every day to fill out a health form and if you miss a day....$100.00 fine. WE had to fill out a several page form with all kinds of data just to get a health passport. I have documents to carry to the airport to get on the plane. Also had to buy insurance to be there incase I get sick while there. None of this was in place when we made the arrangements to go or we would not have decided to go there. Never again. We also have a trip planned next April to go back to the Dominican Republic and If they start that crap I will cancel. This stuff seems to change every few months and will drive you crazy.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Well, it looks like winter is finally coming to NE Georgia. The forecast says snow will begin at midnight. Snow till 7 AM and then turning to wintry mix and wind for four hours, and then back to snow for the rest of Sunday. With freezing rain, we'll probably lose power. I have electric heat, so I've got dry firewood nearby in case we have to use the fireplace for warmth. I also have a non-vented gas heater.
    This happens enough that I am somewhat prepared. I have a small generator, and a bank of charged boat batteries hooked to a 2KW inverter. I'll survive. AO, you'll probably get the same as me.

Just started a cold rain here. I have gas logs and and a full tank of propane(truck came yesterday @ $3.99 per gallon). Got out the Coleman camp stove & filled the tank & tested (works). I have 50 lbs. of charcoal in case we need to grill. If all comes out as predicted (snow, freezing rain, & high winds) power will go down. Also have batteries for flashlights & portable radio. We have all the basics, so we is ready. I will be disappointed if we don't get to use some of these. Let it snow and whatever else comes along.

SMA
    We used to go camping and did without all the conveniences on purpose. We're at least as well off as we were on any of our camping trips.

We now have a good bit of ice covering everything. It is still coming down and building up. Power has blinked off several times and then come back on. don't know what will happen over the next 3 to 4hours when this ends. I will have to scrape off my SUV windows later so I can leave early to get new tires.

Started coming down with a cold on Thursday but so slight I didn't notice until late Friday night and then Saturday morning. Here it is noon on Sunday and I already feel better. Never had a fever or anything but just sinus and cough with a bit of slight muscle soreness or tightness that I get with a cold.

First time sick since the end of March 2020. No running etc until Tomorrow. Two days of rest will do a great deal to heal up.

We lost power at 8:58 am on Sunday. Power came back on at 6:22 this morning. Roads are terrible, so will not venture out. MLK holiday today, so didn't have to work anyway. It was nice and peaceful with no power. Gas logs kept us warm. Transistor radio provided music. Cooked chili on Coleman gas stove late yesterday afternoon outside. That was very enjoyable also. We took chili, cheeze, & crackers to our neighbors across the street with two small kids. I enjoy it when the power goes out! If the wind picks up, power may go out again.

SMA
    We were lucky this time and didn't lose power. You made the most of it Mike, as I would if I had not been spared this time. I'll have to go unload my fire wood back to the wood shed. I quit having fires in the fireplace several years ago. I don't want embers to pop out on my fairly new floors.

Name:  IMG_0628.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  22.4 KB
    Here's the JD Gator loaded with well seasoned firewood.

Name:  IMG_0629.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  22.0 KB

Ventured out this afternoon. Main roads okay, secondary roads mostly okay. Other roads looking off secondary not so good. There were a lot of trees that had fallen over the secondary roads and were now cleared. We saw a lot of trees blown over in yards with root balls (mostly pine). There will be black ice in the morning for sure. Windy outside now, but not as bad as yesterday. Powerline crews from everywhere here in the county. They do a great job under harsh conditions. The name of this storm was Izzy.

My power went out at 6:30am and was out most of the day.
    We got about 4" of snow. It was pretty great!
    Even on low, the gas fire logs will heat my home. K had her book and could watch movies on her laptop.

Temps hung around 28-30 here all day. Winds were around 18 gusting to 35. My ponds were frozen over.
    I made it to my porch chair around 11 with my FiiO player and my Tiger Demmer box (no power, no problem).
    Name:  dermmer.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  87.9 KB

https://www.amazon.com/Indestructibl...338019922&th=1

I was here until 5 with great beer, then I got hungry and went inside.
    I was able to use some of the great cold weather gear I have collected over the years and was very comfy out here. I had tacked up some cardboard to the North East the day before to keep the wind from blowing it all on me.

It was not just beautiful, but very exciting out here. My head was on a swivel as things were afoot.
    Birds were thick as thieves stealing my food. It was non stop action, best bird day in a long time.

The Finch returned so that added 50 birds. The Chipping Sparrows doubled to about 80.
    My first Juncos of this Winter appeared.
    A Towhee appeared, first one in a year.
    I see I took 122 photos, so will go through those soon to see if any are OK.

K's cats played in the snow chasing the birds, one curled up on my lap to just help me watch the yard.

Just up the road a famous "snow sledder" who makes $9million a year was proving why he deserves it:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1482828507617144837

https://twitter.com/i/status/1482828507617144837

We got a good inch to 2 inches of snow and ice. I am still trying to get rid of what is left so it does not build up more over this weekend. No telling what the weather will be as it changes daily but looks like some snow and ice Friday and into early morning Saturday. Once again there will be no run in the park unless the snow melts during the day Saturday but that looks bleak.

Finally got the new base layer and it is quite warm as I reported on another post. I am still upset that it came from China.

It is fun to sit where you are able to look at what is going on in the snow. The birds and squirrels are running all over the place looking for food. I need to go refill the feeders. When it snows Friday I can sit on my back porch as it is glassed in and watch the snow fall. Interested to see what February weather looks like. The rest of this month will be rather cold as is typical. I can deal with the cold but the snow and ice just screws up everything else. That's why I got a treadmill in the first place.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast