Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weather

This has been a bit odd of a summer around here. It got hot and humid but we have had regular rain and everything is lush and green. We have had so many dry summers that this feels pretty good. By now we normally see leaves on the ground from the dry weather and the trees stressed out but not this year. Golden rod is already out in some areas. I think we might have a cold winter again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I think we might have a cold winter again this year.

As a porch guy, cold weather gear is a hobby of mine.
    Last Winter was so mild I had little use of it.
    I hope this one is colder.
    I am the only guy in a tie

I think we may be due for a shit storm of a winter this year. I don't mind winter except when it comes to running. When younger and fit it didn't matter as I just ran. These days it is tougher but maybe I will be more fit and my legs will work better and it will not be as tough. I also hate that it gets dark early. Right now is about perfect. It is light out from 6:30 until around 8 and that is good. I know when it is 9pm as it is mostly dark. I get up with the sun and down with the dark.

I have lots of good cold weather clothing. The tough part is having the right mix for when we head out west to the Rockies and it is cold in the morning but can be 75 or 80 by 3pm. I got a new ultra light back pack for clothes for hiking. I can add or remove and just tuck it in and have hands free for my hiking poles. My legs don't get cold while hiking. I have several pair of long pants with removable bottoms so I wear the pants to start out and then take off the bottoms and I am good to go.

Sitting outside and not moving is very different. I need everything I own if I have to sit outside or stand outside for a long time.

I ran in a 50k in the Virginia mountains back around 2006 or so and it snowed. I was ok with the weather but parts of the course were on fire roads and you had to sort of balance up on the hump in the middle as the ruts were full of rocks. I slipped so many times that I eventually pulled a groin muscle and had to drop out at 19 miles. I could not lift my left leg. I felt great and would have had a nice finish but if I had gotten into trouble between aid stations they would have had to come get me so I stopped at an aid station and drank some soup and they ran me back to the start area. It really sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    don't get cold

I have started Marathons below freezing. Most are AM so less wind.
    If it is 20 or 120, the best for all is to go naked (unless there is wind).
    I just needed my silk gloves.

Well someone had to comment on the weather so I guess it will be me. After all that nice warm weather we get hit in the face with December for a few weeks. I know it was warmer than normal for weeks but I was hoping it would just stay that way. Looks like it will not really warm up much for the next few weeks. I hope we don't have a killing frost. Our peach tree has blossomed and I don't want the peaches to get killed off. We/my wife had trimmed back the branches about 6 or more weeks ago as they were so long last year that the peaches nearly had the limps drooping down to the ground. She has sprayed the tree and we are hoping for the best.

I used to like the heat, not sure I can still deal with it.
    The La Nino is done. The El Nino may arrive in Fall. From now till Fall weather will be harder to predict than normal as the experts don't know.

Yeah, the main thing with peach trees is to spray early and spray often.

Here in the UpState, it is normal to expect a frost up until about April 10. No real need to plant before then as it is not air temp that makes things grow but ground temp.

I too used to like the heat. I like to sweat. Once a good sweat was broken out, all was good. Not sure how that will go this year since it has been a couple of years since I have been out in it. The treadmill is the only thing I have sweated on lately. Cold was not bad unless the wind was blowing. Wind was not fun.
    Weather over here is predicting freeze warnings for the next 3 nights with low temps 28 and windy. Currently 12 mph with gusts up to 28 mph. Sunny though!

It is interesting how things change. In my early days running I liked the cold because I ran kinda fast and it was easier to recover when I did not loose several pounds of fluid. It was just a bit of a pain to have to put on the extra clothes. Over the past 8 to 10 years I have switched to enjoying the heat more. It is really tough but it is just easier to slow down and keep taking on fluids. I guess the best running times are spring and fall when you get warm but not too hot. When I think of the weather I would run in when I was trying to train it makes me cringe. Now I work hard at getting in good enough condition to just keep it going. I got screwed out of my run today due to work. I just finished for the day and it is 5:42 and I need to wrap up a few things before my wife gets home. I think my legs needed a bit of a break and it looks like saturday and sunday will be dry but not warm.

Headed back home here in a few trying to beat the series of winter storms coming in this week have three passes to navigate. Forecast here looks a bit cold and snowy back home looks like rain until the weekend then possibly snow?

- - - Updated - - -

Headed back home here in a few trying to beat the series of winter storms coming in this week have three passes to navigate. Forecast here looks a bit cold and snowy back home looks like rain until the weekend then possibly snow?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Darn, that is a good bit of snow in the forecast. I no longer like cold weather but one day of snow is ok as it looks cool and around here is is usually all gone in a day but the streets ice over with the first night or two of thaw. Years ago here it would snow and everyone would just stay home. Since it was not a normal situation to drive in most who were raised in the south would run off the road or get stuck so people just stayed home. With snow in the forecast the stores would run out of bread, milk and peanut butter and jelly. I was raised in yankee hell, New Jersey. We got snow all the time and I took my driving test on snow covered roads. Not much stopped due to snow unless it was a blizzard and then it would slow down for a half day or so.

over the past 30 years of so Charlotte has been infected with the virus known as migration from the northeast. Now when it snows people go to work and brag about how well the drive in the snow and make fun of life long locals. Folks from here might reply as to how we got a snow holiday as we were smart enough to just stay home and have fun.

Be safe out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Darn, that is a good bit of snow in the forecast. I no longer like cold weather but one day of snow is ok as it looks cool and around here is is usually all gone in a day but the streets ice over with the first night or two of thaw. Years ago here it would snow and everyone would just stay home. Since it was not a normal situation to drive in most who were raised in the south would run off the road or get stuck so people just stayed home. With snow in the forecast the stores would run out of bread, milk and peanut butter and jelly. I was raised in yankee hell, New Jersey. We got snow all the time and I took my driving test on snow covered roads. Not much stopped due to snow unless it was a blizzard and then it would slow down for a half day or so.

over the past 30 years of so Charlotte has been infected with the virus known as migration from the northeast. Now when it snows people go to work and brag about how well the drive in the snow and make fun of life long locals. Folks from here might reply as to how we got a snow holiday as we were smart enough to just stay home and have fun.

Be safe out there.

I am a proud Son of the SOUTH.
    Folks here don't have much experience (or desire much experience) driving in snow.

It is fun to say when Southerners see the first snowflake they begin wrecking their cars even before it hits the ground. Is that true or a joke?
    It is true.

Folks can drive in snow, but no one can drive on ice. There is a huge difference.
    I worked all day driving in all weather for 30 years. I have been to a 1000 more snow/ice wrecks than any here. I can drive in any weather, but not being a dumb ass, don't if I can avoid it.

I lived a couple years in the Alp foothills. Snow there was deep and lasted all Winter. Once it arrived, the roads were covered until thaw. I drove a MGA, or tried to.
    People used spiked tires which are not legal here. My girl friend's big Mercedes with those spiked tires could not be stopped. Also very good was the VW Beetle.

Cop cars had chains. The big Ford Crown Vics with chains handled snow and ice well. The deal there was the lazy cops who would not take them off as roads cleared. This is also true of the public at large. A broken chain will chew up a fender pretty quick.

A big Southern problem is Yanks who believe they can drive on ice, but cannot.
    Charlotte had 11 real Southerners, I moved, and now it has just 10.
    I am the only guy in a tie

All of that is true. I got stuck having to drive today to Augusta in and out of severe storms and I hated every bit of it and it was just thunder storms. I do not drive when there is a sign of ice on the roads. Snow is ok but I drive easy and these days put the 4Runner in 4wheel drive and it works well. I keep good tires on it as I do not want to get stuck. I pretty much only drive in snow if I happen to be out of town for work and have to get home or when I drive my wife back and forth to work. She has no clue as to driving in snow. She is from Danville Va and drives like a nut.

- - - Updated - - -

All of that is true. I got stuck having to drive today to Augusta in and out of severe storms and I hated every bit of it and it was just thunder storms. I do not drive when there is a sign of ice on the roads. Snow is ok but I drive easy and these days put the 4Runner in 4wheel drive and it works well. I keep good tires on it as I do not want to get stuck. I pretty much only drive in snow if I happen to be out of town for work and have to get home or when I drive my wife back and forth to work. She has no clue as to driving in snow. She is from Danville Va and drives like a nut.

Well I seemed to have timed it just right left MT at 5am first two passes were bare and wet Snoqualmie was getting pretty tough by the time I got to it. Chains were required except for AWD and there were a ton of staters everywhere lots of big rigs pulled over chaining up and a couple spin outs. East bound was already shut down just before the summit I made it through without putting on my chains I have a front wheel drive car with decent all seasons but I do have chains just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I seemed to have timed it just right left MT at 5am first two passes were bare and wet Snoqualmie was getting pretty tough by the time I got to it. Chains were required except for AWD and there were a ton of staters everywhere lots of big rigs pulled over chaining up and a couple spin outs. East bound was already shut down just before the summit I made it through without putting on my chains I have a front wheel drive car with decent all seasons but I do have chains just in case.

Got up this morning at 330am and seen it was raining outside- phone said the temp was 33 and the rain would stop shortly. I was thinking great a little warmer should be a nice run today. I drank my coffee, maybe 45 minutes went by I got suited up and went outside, the rain had in fact stopped. I got to the corner of my building and just about fell on my ass! The entire parking lot and road had completely froze over and was ridiculously slick. Temp never got much above freezing and its been snowing off and on most of the day. Good news is it looks like it will warm up a bit bad news is rain likely every day for the foreseeable future. I don't mind the rain so much, I have good gear for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Got up this morning at 330am and seen it was raining outside- phone said the temp was 33 and the rain would stop shortly. I was thinking great a little warmer should be a nice run today. I drank my coffee, maybe 45 minutes went by I got suited up and went outside, the rain had in fact stopped. I got to the corner of my building and just about fell on my ass! The entire parking lot and road had completely froze over and was ridiculously slick. Temp never got much above freezing and its been snowing off and on most of the day. Good news is it looks like it will warm up a bit bad news is rain likely every day for the foreseeable future. I don't mind the rain so much, I have good gear for that.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Well, the 15 degree temp. last night got me. I couldn't turn the water cut-off to one of my outbuildings all the way off. I turned on a faucet to a trickle, but when I checked it this morning (still freezing temp), there wasn't a trickle. The water apparently had frozen. We went to town and met some friends, and when I checked this afternoon, the PVC had split in several places and was spewing water. The cutoff is one of those ball valve kind where a quarter turn cuts it off. I had not been able to turn the valve 90 degrees. Well, I had to give it another try. I had some penetrating oil, so I squirted that on the ball valve, and was finally able to get it shut off completely. I'm saving the repair job for a warm spring day.
    I won't have the plumbing so high in the air when I re-do it. I'll fix it where I can cover it up with some kind of insulation.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the 15 degree temp. last night got me. I couldn't turn the water cut-off to one of my outbuildings all the way off. I turned on a faucet to a trickle, but when I checked it this morning (still freezing temp), there wasn't a trickle. The water apparently had frozen. We went to town and met some friends, and when I checked this afternoon, the PVC had split in several places and was spewing water. The cutoff is one of those ball valve kind where a quarter turn cuts it off. I had not been able to turn the valve 90 degrees. Well, I had to give it another try. I had some penetrating oil, so I squirted that on the ball valve, and was finally able to get it shut off completely. I'm saving the repair job for a warm spring day.
    I won't have the plumbing so high in the air when I re-do it. I'll fix it where I can cover it up with some kind of insulation.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast