Thread: Tomato Talk

Tomato Talk

- "part one"

It is time to talk mators, peppers, gardens, etc. My Pop taught me, and I also took the 'Master Gardner' courses at CLEMSON from Ag professors who had doctorates.

I lack Sunshine in the yard and grow veggies in pots on my dock.
    In my dock pots spinach has lived through the Winter and is producing all we can eat. I will get in some Buttercrunch lettuce soon.

Obviously my system produced tons of mators last season. This season I am cutting back to 3 mator plants and adding peppers and zuchini. I need lots of Zucchini.

Name:  mmm.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  184.2 KB

I prepare early.
    Now is the time to plan and gather what we will need. Just sticking a plant into the ground and "hoping" works --> sometimes. Better is to plan and amend the soil early so it can "settle" some.
    In zone 7, the time to "start" would be around March 15-25 or about 3 weeks before you plant.

Whether you use pots, or a ground space, now is the time to plan and "gather". All you need is a small patch of ground (put one in your flower bed) or a large pot. Lacking Sun in my yard, I use pots on my dock.
    Name:  82001-3_1.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  14.2 KB
    My recipe per pot with one plant is:
    -- 2 - cuft of dirt
    -- 1 1/2 lbs of dolomite
    -- 1 1/2 - pound of Tomato-Tone
    If using ground, dig down a couple foot and mix the above into your soil. Shallow digging does not work as well. Roots will go deep if the bed is deep.

Dolomite is the deal. You need that! Dolomite Lime enriches soil with calcium and magnesium while helping to regulate and raise pH levels. Don't cry in June if you did not add this in March.

Organic fertilizer mixed in is good at this point as it will not burn the plants. Mixing in compost like Black Cow or the mushroom one is good if done early. It is too late for "raw" cow-chicken crap, Fall was the time for that.

Soil amendments are needed. Your local farm agent will do a free test if you take in a sample. Otherwise just assume you need to add some things.
    Plan to do the above about 3 weeks before planting.

The deal is to turn your "dirt" into "soil".

Chuck and I use pots and miracle grow potting soil. I use the moisture control.
    I think Chuck buys fresh every year, I plan to reuse mine from last season as I am poor. I will dump each pot into the wheel barrow and mix in the above, maybe add some compost.

Name:  mgsoil.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  27.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    I have made a serious blunder. I had blossom end rot, and got some spray to remedy that. I foolishly sprayed all my plants when the sun was shining, and as a result, Much, if not most, of the foliage got burned.
    The deal is to get the dolomite mixed in the ground (or pot) a couple weeks before planting.

Name:  71iEcphnavL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  108.2 KB

Unless you have excellent soil (not likely) mix in some plant food. I recommend Tomato -Tone.

Name:  71v1TvQ1CGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  64.9 KB

If using pots, also get in some wicks like used for citronella torches.

Name:  81xQqGOKAHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  100.1 KB

--part two coming soon --

Bill,
    I think you could set up some of these and sell them around the lake. I think you take even more care and put more energy into this that you did when it came to making beer and you were meticulous in making beer.