Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tomato Expert

I started getting maters in mid June which was a couple weeks early for me.
    I still am getting some, just not as big. 2 months is a long harvest season for me.
    The quality has been excellent, with no sprays or chemicals needed.

The quantity has been overwhelming. I force myself to eat them every meal. On the dock eat them like apples. I have given away many sacks of them. I have thrown away a hundred that got too ripe.

The verdict is in. The system as I have documented it here --> works.
    Next year will cut back to 3 plants and use the other tubs for Cowhorn peppers.

If you want maters, order yourself some of these tubs and plant like I did.

Name:  mmm.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  184.2 KB

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I blew it last year and ruined my plants by spraying on a product to help with the blossom end rot. I'm following AO's lead this year and will add some soil amendments before planting to help with this. I also like the idea of a 30 gallon water tank and timer that waters via gravity through drip irrigation hoses. One of the causes (I read) for blossom end rot is inconsistent watering.
    I planted tomato and pepper seeds Feb. 20, and most are up now. I have them under grow lights. My wife is trying to talk me out of growing tomatoes this year. I realize that money wise, I would come out ahead just buying them, but it's kind of a hobby, and there is some enjoyment in just watching the plants grow, and the eventual harvest. I'm looking forward to a good spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    . I'm looking forward to a good spring and summer.
    Been working on a "mator update" for a couple days, will post March 1st.

my part of the tomato equation is consumption. I have thought of planting some so the deer will eat those instead of my wife's plants. Think that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    my part of the tomato equation is consumption. I have thought of planting some so the deer will eat those instead of my wife's plants. Think that will work?

Deer love tomatoes and tomato plants.

Best thing to guard plants:

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-A...-search&sr=8-3

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234