Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomato Expert

CSM
    I planted my tomatoes and peppers a couple of weeks ago when the weather was warm. Now, it looks like I will have to cover them to protect them from a likely frost or freeze this Wed and Thur. A late frost/freeze sometimes happens in this area and I should have waited a couple of more weeks before planting.

It is Yard Crap's fault when y'all kept putting up posts about your fancy tomato contraptions!

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Yeah, the foretasted low for here tomorrow night is 37. I haven't planted mine in the big containers on the boat dock yet, so I can still move them inside. My wife planted a bunch of annuals in pots yesterday. Looks like we may be moving them in for a few nights. Surely after this week we'll be OK.

I pretend to be tuff, but it does hurt when I post words and photos of my crap here hoping yall might respond and post a word of encouragement or maybe say, "That won't work." (or just "Hello")

Yall here on YC are my friends. I don't have any face to face friends as I am a happy "Classic Introvert".

Not being dumb, generally don't plant until around April 10th or when the ground is 65degrees. Planting early does not give you a head start as maters like warm dirt. No matter as this year leaned on my Druid roots and planted as I celebrated the first day of Spring. Global Warming may give us a frost tomorrow night. I mean - well I don't keep up with politics but frost is what it is, never hit here after April 10 in the last 20 years. Maybe the globe is cooling? I will just put a bucket over them. Cold is not the deal, but frost can kill.

If I am wiped out, it would have been the same if I had not Druid planted, but waited till ~ Starting over is "gardening". I would hate to post how many plants of all types I have destroyed experimenting.
    I am the only guy in a tie

You will be okay. A little frost will not get in your way. I don't have faith in many people, but I have faith in you. You know to do to keep the frost off. You will have an excellent crop this year.

SMA
    AO, I was out in the boat several days ago and came by your dock. You are ahead of me, and will be harvesting before me. Here is my boat dock garden as of 5:30 PM today.
    Name:  2021 garden start.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  76.8 KB

Mine are looking pretty dang good. They are growing fast and looking strong.

I love Butter Crunch lettuce (as do my turtles). You have to grow it, as shelf life is low. Mine has done well, now will be eating and replacing with my favorite peppers -> Sweet Banana. Not sure the deck box can handle it, but no harm in trying.
    My Bride's Rhubarb (can't be grown in the South) looks like plants from the 'Little Shop of Horrors' movie.

Maters are now taller than me -

Name:  maters777.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  121.6 KB

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Maters are now taller than me -

Name:  maters777.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  121.6 KB
    Amazing photo of very healthy Tomatoes. My maters are now growing good after I had to replant after an unusual 24 degree night at the end of April! I covered them but that was just too cold. New Peppers and Tomatoes are coming along but not ready for photos yet.

Over checking Chuck's maters today, and found them to be be doing great.
    Here he is explaining his pepper plants.

Name:  peppers.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  159.1 KB

His maters look strong and healthy.

I got a head start on him this year, here are mine today.

Name:  mmm.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  184.2 KB

The good thing is mine will come on line and later his. As we both grow more than we can eat, by sharing, our harvest season will be extended.

River water grows great maters. I'll harvest a few tomorrow.
    Name:  1500.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  15002.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  64.3 KB

As they are in pots, frequent water is needed. This 30 gallon water tower on a timer helps a lot. I water morning and evening, tub goes off every 3 hours to add some more.
    Name:  tower.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  185.4 KB

Darn,
    That is amazing. You guys should have a veggie stand. I have never seen plants that big. How can you eat all of those? Again, amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    Darn,
    That is amazing. You guys should have a veggie stand. I have never seen plants that big. How can you eat all of those? Again, amazing.

I think it is amazing how old I look. Is that me?
    Name:  bbbb.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  155.2 KB

Cat don't care - he loves me

SMA
    Man, that's some good pictures. You, K, the tomato plants, and the cat are looking good. I have made a serious blunder. I had blossom end rot, and got some spray to remedy that. I foolishly sprayed all my plants when the sun was shining, and as a result, Much, if not most, of the foliage got burned. I've got a bunch of tomatoes on the vines, and I hope to harvest some. I'm hoping some new growth will come out. I'm discouraged. I haven't screwed up like this in previous years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast