Thread: Spring Snakes

Spring Snakes

Snakes are out. I can see a small brown one swimming in my Frog Pond right now. Three Frogs were there, but jumped in the water. He was too small to eat them, but they "know".

A couple hours ago my cat brought me an 18" Ribbon Snake. Cats go after anything that moves. They are hell on snakes. Cats are great hunters. When one finds something, all rush to help.

I live in UpState SC on Lake Hartwell. Folks might think more snakes are here, but I seldom see one. They are about and do see me. A plus is there are no nasty Moccasins around the lake like in much of the state waters.
    We do have rattlesnakes and Copperheads. In 20 years have seen only one (very large) Timber Rattlesnake, and see a few Copperheads each year. I have no lawn, just what ever grows, so it is good habitat for all critters. Some might think it looks "snaky" but like I said, seldom see one.

I know many of you will be posting as to how great and beneficial snakes are, but I don't want any in my yard. You can have all you want in yours. There are millions of them about. I have garden ponds and bird houses. Snakes eat critters I like. I don't like snakes at all.
    On top of eating my birds and etc, one might bite me or my cats. My vet sees cats and dogs bitten by snakes every year.
    Prancy don't know a Copperhead from a Garter snake and will go after both. A large black snake bite could easily take out an eye.
    If you like snakes, good. None are welcome in my yard, not even one.

Here is a good, easy ID page for SC snakes that is applicable for most of the South.

http://www.neoperceptions.com/snakes...es/scsnake.htm

Name:  hierarchy2a.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  86.3 KB

I don't mind snakes. I also don't want any copperheads in my yard or garage etc. I see a pine snake or hog nose....I think that is what they are, around once in a while and they go under the house and in my garage and get the mice. I see maybe one a year near my house. I wanted them around in years past to kill the rats etc that wander around but the hawks took over keeping my yard in shape. I have just the right number of squirrels etc and I like watching them and the birds. I was out on the porch a few times this week and just looked out into the yard and just enjoyed just watching things start to bud etc. The park was full of people who are not a work but there was a good bit of wild life.
    I stand up for snakes in the park and have risked having my ass kicked stopping people from just randomly killing them on the trails.

Go fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I don't mind snakes.
    I don't mind them either. I would enjoy having a beer on your porch and watching them crawl about your yard. (Spiders might make me leave).

No snakes are welcome here. If I see one (and the Bride is not looking) it will move on to the hereafter. That goes for all species of them..

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I don't mind snakes. I also don't want any copperheads in my yard or garage etc. I see a pine snake or hog nose....I think that is what they are, around once in a while and they go under the house and in my garage and get the mice. I see maybe one a year near my house. I wanted them around in years past to kill the rats etc that wander around but the hawks took over keeping my yard in shape. I have just the right number of squirrels etc and I like watching them and the birds. I was out on the porch a few times this week and just looked out into the yard and just enjoyed just watching things start to bud etc. The park was full of people who are not a work but there was a good bit of wild life.
    I stand up for snakes in the park and have risked having my ass kicked stopping people from just randomly killing them on the trails.

Go fishing!

Snakes in the Park are OK. They are not going to rid your home of rats.
    Outdoor cats will.
    I really, really like squirrels, but mine have moved on. (Marty you can remember in Matthews mine coming on your lap for a peanut?) I like chipmunks and lizards, but they too are now less.

All critters do not mix.
    Snakes do not mix well with birds and frogs and tadpoles and me.
    Cats grab any thing that moves, and then bring it too you. They mix well with K.

My cats are never outside...never. Too many cars and my wife will not allow it. Being a veterinarian she is sure they will catch something from some stray. If I lived somewhere with no cars then maybe they might be outside or we might have an outside cat.

I remember the squirrels up on your porch. They came right up on to the arm of the chair and picked up peanuts and then burried them. One will come up on the window sill of my den on occasion and sit there and stair at the cats and the cats go crazy.