Snakes are out. I can see a small brown one swimming in my Frog Pond right now. Three Frogs were there, but jumped in the water. He was too small to eat them, but they "know".

A couple hours ago my cat brought me an 18" Ribbon Snake. Cats go after anything that moves. They are hell on snakes. Cats are great hunters. When one finds something, all rush to help.

I live in UpState SC on Lake Hartwell. Folks might think more snakes are here, but I seldom see one. They are about and do see me. A plus is there are no nasty Moccasins around the lake like in much of the state waters.
We do have rattlesnakes and Copperheads. In 20 years have seen only one (very large) Timber Rattlesnake, and see a few Copperheads each year. I have no lawn, just what ever grows, so it is good habitat for all critters. Some might think it looks "snaky" but like I said, seldom see one.

I know many of you will be posting as to how great and beneficial snakes are, but I don't want any in my yard. You can have all you want in yours. There are millions of them about. I have garden ponds and bird houses. Snakes eat critters I like. I don't like snakes at all.
On top of eating my birds and etc, one might bite me or my cats. My vet sees cats and dogs bitten by snakes every year.
Prancy don't know a Copperhead from a Garter snake and will go after both. A large black snake bite could easily take out an eye.
If you like snakes, good. None are welcome in my yard, not even one.

Here is a good, easy ID page for SC snakes that is applicable for most of the South.

http://www.neoperceptions.com/snakes...es/scsnake.htm

Name:  hierarchy2a.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  86.3 KB