Thread: In Quarantine

In Quarantine

Many of my geezer friends are like me - quarantined due to the Chinese Flu. Actually as a hermit, I am always alone, so have been self-quarantined for years. Nothing has changed for me.

Having nothing to do, now am on my porch with Urquell giving yall something to read. No need to thank me, just post about your day for me to read.

It is 72 in the shade. My yard is coming alive with flowers and buds. Nature is waking up.

I got up a little earlier than usual around 10AM. I tend to stay up late and sleep late. I use the Sun and not a clock, so it varies. I did a 5 mile walk-about, think I saw a Purple Martin.
    Then I went fishing for two hours.

That is when the day turned on me.
    I don't fish like most do. I troll. I have a strong 36v trolling motor that has pulled me for 15 years. Today the propeller would not turn. It was getting power, have no idea if I can fix it. If not, I must replace it.
    I used the Mercury. It is 4stroke and quiet. On low it goes about 2mph which is good. It aint near as good as the electric for what I do, but OK. That big electric is the real deal for me, must have a million hours on it.

My fish finder would not stay on. It is a rather new bottom of the line model Lowrance. I have never liked it. I don't need a fish finder, just a depth gauge. To be honest after 20 years in the Tugaloo River, mostly know the depth here by heart. I'll try another model.

As bad as it was, the day has been much more good than bad.
    I caught 3 Largemouth Bass. As I have lots of food, let them go to fatten a little. One was near as big as I have landed in a couple years.
    I had no camera that and could get a photo. Mine just does way off or up close. Most of yall have a phone for that, but I never know where mine is.

For me "fishing" is as not so much about fish, but also about what critters I see. I would call today a success.

Here are some photos:

Name:  flower777.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  buffel779.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  turtle779.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  white799.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  duck799.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  110.7 KB

Many here have more boat experience than do I. Yall can help me think.

I see the top of the line Minn Kota 36v is now the:
    Minn Kota Ulterra Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot Link and MEGA Side Imaging -- for just $3,449.99.

I paid around $900 for my 36v 15 years ago with no gadgets. This one has fancy things I want, but have no use for. Do I need one with Bluetooth? I don't even use that at my computers.
    The i-Pilot is good if one is lazy (I am). The MEGA Down Imagine has no use for me.

Actually, wonder if I might be OK with 24v. I first bought the 12 and lake winds would show up and blow me to shore before I could crank the Mercury. The 36v solved that problem. That guy can pull hard in a gale all day and be ready the next day. As most know, a 36v motor like this draws less amps, so batteries pull longer. Motors are rated as to thrust and not HP. One properly sized is not less speedy than a bigger one. The top speed is 5MPH. Mine has no problem with that. Maybe a 24v can produce the same results? I never actually troll at 5mph, most times under 3mph. The deal is not speed, but power. Ed understands all that way better than me and may post to explain?

The price of the new "80" is about the same, but you have one less battery to keep charged. I use solar panels for that.
    No MEGA Down Imagine or Bluetooth and it is $2349.99. An older model is $1849.99.
    They seem to like that ($--49.99)

The "70" is $1349.99. I see one for even less.

Maybe I can fix mine?
    Name:  mmm.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  10.8 KB

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I bet yours is fixable. A common problem on DC motors is brushes. Finding replacements might be a problem, but since you have a name brand, parts may be available.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.fish307.com/minn-kota-schematics-parts/

l went to the park yesterday to jog and it was loaded with people out walking and running and bike riding. It was 82 and mostly sunny. It should be the same today. I may go back today. Vitamin D3 is essential for your lungs etc. Also just watched a video about D3 and prostate and 4000 IU daily and up to 10,000IU is block buster for your prostate. If I understood what I saw, you can make the equal to 20,000 IU out in the sun this time of year for an hour or 2. From November thru February this general area has too low of a range of UV radiation to make D. Up north it is like that all year long except for days not weeks or months. Bill is out in the sun all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Farley View Post
    I bet yours is fixable. A common problem on DC motors is brushes. Finding replacements might be a problem, but since you have a name brand, parts may be available.
    /
    I don't think I am up to that. Most times when I take something apart, it ends up in the trash. Plus, an underwater thing is sealed tight.
    My main way to fix/repair anything is to hit it with a hammer.

I replaced the batteries. Now if I bang on the blades to get them spinning before I drop it in to the water, it will pull.
    I took it out for a few hours and even in some wind, was able to keep the boat going. 2mph was no problem, and that is a good trolling speed for the lures I pull.

I guess I am OK, hope to get out tomorrow (winds are strong today).

I guess that is good. Now I don't get the new one with all the new features.