Thread: something to read

something to read

Bright and sunny on the porch.
    I suspect folks logged in for something to read, so I will ramble some.

I have 5 Pine Warblers, and they are constant activity on the suet and peanuts. They are very tame. I always hate to see them migrate away.
    They are replaced by Hummingbirds, which is the main object of this ramble.

I may have more types of HB feeders than most. Many are more useful as decoration, and not preferred by my birds. Some are hard to clean. By far the favorite at my house is this one (I have about 10 of them) :
    Name:  hb1.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  39.8 KB

It is a perfect size for Spring and much of Summer as not much is needed. Mine are 8 oz, but I see now larger ones are available. Eight oz is good as I change them weekly as they will ferment.
    The downside is in Spring when nights get cold, pressure builds and these do drip some.
    After breeding I go to larger 40 oz ones.
    I add green die because I think it looks good.
    Name:  P9140045a.jpg.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  77.7 KB

I ran across a new style that might be good. I ordered one and may order a couple more.
    This is well made of heavy glass. It has perching places. It is very easy to clean and holds 18oz. Some have posted birds can't get to the bottom, but I suspect they can -- and it don't matter as they need to be changed out weekly anyway.
    Name:  hb2.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  61.4 KB

They come in more fancy colors, but I like the red. I believe HBs are attracted to red. Also, there is no need to die the water.
    A side note is I saw the ones with a solar light at Lowes for $22 which is much less than other online places. For now I am going with the red. I'll update in April if these are popular with the birds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014V3VWVM...x_B014V3VCK8_0

Name:  hb3.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  61.1 KBName:  hb5.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  120.5 KB

Interesting. Since we have started to clean up our back yard and make it look good I had already started planning the feeders to get and I had forgotten about the humming bird feeders. We have a good place for one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I had forgotten about the humming bird feeders. We have a good place for one or two.
    Do a good job and as Fall approaches you will be awe struck.
    "One or two" will not get the job done.

In Spring and Summer as they search for insects, it will be plenty. "Adjusting" as to "need" is the key. A huge one in Spring goes bad and may harm the tiny critters. A small one near Fall means they go hungry, and I can no longer call you "friend'.

To that end, keeping out fresh is the deal. In Spring that might be a pint and near Fall even a gallon will go dry.