Thread: Not a lot going on

Not a lot going on

A Downy is eating on my old suet log hanging a few feet away.
    I bet her Mom ate there, and maybe her Grand Ma.

Makes my Day!

Got up too early, worked too hard, and gave out.
    Today is a lazy, hazy Summer day. I like it.
    People in France are dying from what is a normal Summer here. Many do not have air conditioning. AC stops up my sinuses, so prefer being out here on the porch.

As usual in Summer, my birds are less. A few Titmouse and a couple Chipping Sparrows were keeping me company -- then this guy showed up:
    Name:  redyc.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  83.3 KB

This is a young male Summer Tanager.

Also this Indigo Bunting has arrived for millet.
    Name:  indegoyc.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  45.3 KB

You can't get this much excitement indoors.

Here are a couple turtles up on my Toad House. One is a Red-eared Slider, and the other is a Mississippi Map Turtle.
    Name:  turtleyc.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  83.3 KB

A few frogs are about, but the ones just becoming frogs are more fun today.
    Name:  frog799.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  frog2yc.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  81.4 KB

Here is a fly on the wall. This near photo and the ones across the yard were all taken with the same lens an Olympus 300mm. Of course these photos are cut from many MBs to a few KBs to post here.
    Name:  fly1000.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  57.1 KB
    I am the only guy in a tie

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    Life is happening all around, and you have a place with the habitat that attracts cool wildlife. I was determined to have a relaxing afternoon on the dock, but it was too hot to read. Just as I got the boat put up after a short cruise, my neighbor called. His boat had died on him, and he needed me to come tow him in. I was needing some lake time regardless of the circumstances, so I was glad to help. The only wildlife I seem to have in abundance here is squirrels.

CSM
    Amusement.... I have been sitting here listening to a Mockingbird that is perched high atop a tree. It is always fun to hear all of the different birds that it imitates. It seems like the bird is just happy and having fun and showing off with all the different songs.

I left for Augusta Thursday morning and visited one of the paper mills there for an hour or two and then headed to my hotel. Ran for an hour on the treadmill and then went to Chili''s and had a few beers and a few margaritas. Went home Friday and ran some errands and then ran for a while and then ate dinner with the wife when she got home from work. Spent the early part of the week in the Atlanta area and then headed home and then left again.

Today I road my new bike for a bit over an hour and then cut the grass. Hot and humid. A good day.

Just returned home from living a week off the grid. Spent it at Blue Mtn Beach near Santa Rosa, FL. Saw lots of marine life. Early one morning saw 14 baby sharks that were 3 to 4 feet from the shore. The were about 2 feet long. Also saw a small stingray about 12 inches in diameter. Saw hundreds of small looking snakes about 10 inches long on top of the water. May have been some kind of eel. They seemed afraid of humans. Not sure what they were but I kept my distance. Lots of bird life there also. Saw a seagull catch a pretty good fish and fly off. Good place to be. Not crowded, simple, no one knows you. Ran slow and walked early every morning. Will cut grass tomorrow, after church of course.

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    Just returned home from living a week off the grid. Spent it at Blue Mtn Beach near Santa Rosa, FL.
    That is the only kind of FL beach that we enjoy. Not too crowded, very peaceful, relaxing, etc. Not many places in Florida have the name "mountain" in them! They could have named it Blue Hill Beach.

Folks beginning to find out about this place. Appears to be growing very fast. Still a great place to be! Our part of the beach was private so we were the only riff raff there. No public beach access to our part. Just finished cutting the grass. Pipe has burst at water meter. No water now! Vacation over! Back to the real world!

It is tough when you find a great place and then it gets "discovered". Sometimes a place is great because there are few other people there. I decided years ago that the only time I like or don't mind being around people is in a bar.

For some reason I have decided that I really like Dos Equis lager. I think I have gone through a case in the past week or two. Doesn't count all that I have had to drink when out of town.

WE have lots of tadpoles in the pond now so soon frogs. Ducks flew the coop a few weeks ago but now deer are drinking out of the pond due to heat and no rain.

Need to refill the feeders so the birds will keep around. Found a store near me that sells wild bird stuff. Can't wait to go load up on stuff I am too lazy to make myself.

In a few days I will celebrate my personal thanksgiving day which is July 4th. Don't do anything special but just drink beer and eat the pork my wife will be smoking and sit on the porch and drink....after I run of course. I expect some great posts from you guys on the 4th. Don't let me down.

It is tough when you find a great place and then it gets "discovered". Sometimes a place is great because there are few other people there. I decided years ago that the only time I like or don't mind being around people is in a bar.

I used to like Tybee Island, but have not been there in 10 years, so it may have been "discovered". The same is true fr the Huntington Beach Campground.

For some reason I have decided that I really like Dos Equis lager. I think I have gone through a case in the past week or two. Doesn't count all that I have had to drink when out of town.

Off the top of my head, this is a rip off of Vienna style beer (think Oktoberfest). It is tasty.

WE have lots of tadpoles in the pond now so soon frogs. Ducks flew the coop a few weeks ago but now deer are drinking out of the pond due to heat and no rain.

My yard is hopping in tiny frogs. About are also toads. My BullFrogs tadpoles are becoming frogs now. I stocked in a hundred in Spring. Small ones can take two years.

Need to refill the feeders so the birds will keep around. Found a store near me that sells wild bird stuff. Can't wait to go load up on stuff I am too lazy to make myself.

Tractor Supply is the best for sunflower and most foods. The year round best is mixing peanut butter and corn meal. It is easy. Melt the peanut butter in the micro wave, pour in pot and add cornmeal. I buy bulk peanut butter on Amazon, but if you have Sams or Costco, might be cheaper.

In a few days I will celebrate my personal thanksgiving day which is July 4th. Don't do anything special but just drink beer and eat the pork my wife will be smoking and sit on the porch and drink....after I run of course. I expect some great posts from you guys on the 4th. Don't let me down.

My typical day the past few years is a local neighborhood cook out at which I make a brief appearance. I don't clean up well enough these days to sit with folks. Most around here bore me, and the others think I might be crazy.

I like to spend the day on the dock watching the boats play. Most days my lake is empty.
    After dark, like to fire some fireworks over the lake. This year the "cook out" email says we will move to Darly's dock for fireworks, but I'll move to mine as it is kinda a tradition.
    Maybe we can have fun doing "feuding fireworks"?