Thread: Amazing Tree Swallow facts

CSM

Amazing Tree Swallow facts

I have been watching tree swallows feed their young in one of our bluebird boxes. Both parents are busy coming into and out of the box. I was wondering what they feed their young? I looked it up and it turns out that they eat the same thing as the adults - mostly flying insects. Flies, wasps, mosquitos, leaf hoppers, among many others. This is what you call a very beneficial bird!

I found this info. at Tree Swallow Projects . com

Do Tree Swallows feed their young one insect at a time?

• No. Adults catch many prey per foraging trip, holding them in a tight mass or
      "bolus" in their bill and throat
    • Studies have found averages of between 19 and 34 prey per Tree Swallow
      bolus, with roughly 8,000 prey fed per brood per day. The first photo is mine with parent in the hole.

Name:  tree swallow box.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  54.9 KBName:  Tree_swallow_at_Stroud_Preserve.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  10.9 KB

Mine are constant fun off the dock.

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Mine are constant fun off the dock.
    Here is a two minute video that I made today in Clayton. It shows the last of the fledgings is being fed by the parents as he pokes his head out of the box. He is wanting to come out but not quite sure. They keep circling above and encouraging him and feeding him.

https://youtu.be/Y7SxvwusjEw

Good video Tony.
    No idea why I don't do video, I have the gear.
    Before I even met you had seen some of your race videos on u-tube, they are great (please talk more and explain what you are seeing as I like that).

Ha ha, no one looks at my photos or reads my crap, not likely I could get their attention long enough for a video.