Thread: College Football Transfer Portal - CRAP

MSG

College Football Transfer Portal - CRAP

NCAA has lost all credibility in its handling the Eligibility of transfers. Some players are denied while others are immediately eligible.

For example Demetrius Robertson transfers from Cal to UGA and is granted immediate eligibility. Reason - to be closer to his Savannah home.

Robertson_Demetris_revised.jpg

Justin Fields transfers from UGA to Ohio State basically because he could not be the starting quarterback ahead of Jake Fromm. Granted immediate eligibility.

justinfields.jpg

Luke Ford tight end of UGA transfers from UGA to Illinois to be close to home and his sick grandfather that he loves. Denied! Must sit out a year.

luke ford.jpg

What the heck is going on? Totally inconsistent.... Some have mentioned race as a factor??

Must be the haircut. Normal haircut gets denied. Stick your finger in a electrical outlet haircut gets immediately eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Some have mentioned race as a factor??

Race IS a factor. Your Georgia QB said so.
    Fields claims an incident during his freshman season in which he was the target of a racial slur by a fan during a football game. He was so disturbed he felt he had to leave. The fact he was not going to play at Georgia this year and maybe not next, played no part. He did not do like way too many people and use a false race card. His sister does not feel threatened at Georgia and remains a student.

This stupid new deal has turned CFB into free agency. That is sad and detrimental.
    More than two-thirds of the top quarterbacks in the 2016 recruiting class are no longer with the schools they signed with out of high school.
    Now anytime a kid sees he is not "gifted the starting job, he leaves instead of competing.

In the past past a kid could leave after graduation and play right away. Now there are no solid rules that cover it.

A college makes a commitment to a kid and he does the same (or used to). He has taken a spot another kid would have liked to have had, but there was no room available. Money and time are invested in the kid, and he bails. It aint right.

I can think of only two reasons a kid should get to play right away:
    --- He has been mistreated by the school
    --- The coach transfers (I need to think more on this one

The NCAA is a gutless political bunch of assholes. Hopefully at some point the conferences will delete them.

I don't believe to date this has affected Clemson, but it will.
    Quickly the transfer portal will become as important as the recruiting cycle.
    I believe I remember Coach Smart calling those schools "bottom feeders"?

I have seen where a few entered to test the water and are not tranferring. That will not play at Clemson as one is either "allin" or not in at all.

Hitting my old mind now is a case at Clemson. A giant kid from my hometown (Josh Belk) came to Clemson. He was a huge star in a small school in a small town.
    I was excited!
    The deal seemed to be he had not ever faced a daily grind where he was not a star, and where the other kids were as big as him.
    His lawyer (a USuCk alum) filed that he needed to be closer to home as someone was ill. He was granted the right to transfer to USuCk and play even though the travel time difference was less than an hour.

The argument is made by assholes that if coaches can transfer, kids should be able to also.
    The fact is they can, and they always could. They just had to set out a season. That seems reasonable to me.

Many coaches are penalized if they leave before their contract is up. It can cost them a lot of money. This can be absorbed by the new school, but makes them much less attractive.

The deal is that a person's word should have some value. If it is on paper in a contract, it should have legal value and be binding.

Good topic Tony.

Here is a related post.
    Daniyel Ngata is a consensus 4star guy from California.
    https://247sports.com/Player/Daniyel-Ngata-46050694/

Right now his top choice is Clemson, but we don't have room for another running back as our two slots are filled. I believe the other two are "allin", but what if they are not? It would mean they are taking a spot this kid wants.

Screen Shot 06-10-19 at 02.59 PM.jpg

(sorry about the jpeg below, attached the wrong jpeg and don't know how to delete it)
    Attached Images Attached Images

MSG
    Too many kids with great athletic ability are looking for a guarantee that they will be a starter right away. Some schools probably do promise that to get the commitment but most top programs can't do that. They insist that the kid earns the spot by competition in practice. A 2 or 3 star sometimes beats out a 5 star by his work ethic in practice. Then the 5 star starts looking at the Transfer Portal.

This is turning into a big problem along with the idea that it is "not fair" that the players don't get paid but the coaches do. That is totally stupid! They do get paid. How much student loan debt to the players have when they graduate? Most will not play in the NFL but they have the opportunity to get a degree debt free. Those that do play at the next level have had excellent college coaches teaching them and preparing them to possibly make untold millions of dollars.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said today he believes all student-athletes who want to transfer should sit out one year, with no exceptions.

MSG
    The NCAA has opened up a can of worms that should have never been opened. Teams are going to suffer on depth as they lose excellent athletes that take the easy way out instead of competing to win their starters role.

I guess this means that coaches have to add a whole new dimension to recruiting. Instead of mostly recruiting High School players, they are now recruiting players from rival teams more than ever. This is very bad for college football and for the players. It teaches players that "I do not have to work harder to make it, I can just transfer if they don't give me the starters role."

Here is a look at the transfer portal for the ACC and SEC.

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-p...rading-the-acc

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-p...rading-the-sec

A very sad state of affairs.

No commitment or loyalty from these transfer students. Sitting out one year should be the minimal penalty for these kids. It's all about Me, Me, Me!