Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEORGIA FOOTBALL

GEORGIA FOOTBALL

GEORGIA FOOTBALL

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post

Very fun article Tony, but written by a "homer".
    Last year Dixie University went 7-4. (I am a fan). Us DU fans expect to improve this year, 8 wins would be that. That is reasonable and would be cause for celebration.

Georgia is a Blue Blood football school with an incredible history.
    Unlike at DU, every year Georgia fans "expect" to win the National Championship. I like that attitude. On top of "attitude" fans also support with money. I would call it a top five Football school.

So how is it going?
    Fans are pissed.

15 years under what I consider an excellent coach (Ritch), Georgia had ten - 10+ seasons against the best teams in the USA. By any measure (except Blue Bloods fans) that is incredible. As a DIXIE fan, I am accustomed to being happy with much less. Ritch's last two years were 10 wins and he was fired.
    Georgia "expects" more.

Kirby inherited an incredible group of players - best in the nation? Three years in he is 32-8. Under him recruiting has actually improved. No college has better players arriving over the last years, zero.

I would say Georgia fans should be happy. They are not. They are spending the $$$ and supporting the team. They "expect" to be #1. Us DIXIE fans are very happy and excited with less (reality).

This year like last, Georgia is again maybe the most talented team in the nation and are solid at every position. 5 star players will again ride the bench.
    The schedule is typical for Ga. They will get lots of credit for playing ND. There is no LSU, no Alabama. They have a Heisman QB at the top of his game and maybe the best RB in the USA. No team has better lines. This is 12-0 and no excuses can be offered if not that. They will be the heavy favorite by VEGAS in every game.

Going 10-2 would thrill 99% of college football fans, but Georgia fans would be pissed with that. Why is that? Someone help me as I don't understand. I am aware that Georgia won consensus championships in 1942 and 1980, but ??

To help you understand from my perspective, here are a few reasons: (1) Money. Those alumni who donate huge $$$'s expect nothing less than a perfect season. They want a return on their investment. (2) Jealousy. Ga fans hate to see Alabama win all those National Championships. (3) The party after the game is not as much fun after a loss. (4) Spoiled Rotten. That's my opinion. I do believe this year and next year will be our best shot to win it all. All the tangibles are in place. It's the intangibles I worry about.

Thanks for taking time to post Mike.
    I understand all but #4. Tell me when Georgia fans got "Spoiled Rotten".
    That is why I can't understand why they feel "entitled".
    I believe Georgia is on the rise and this year should be the best ever.

A lot of the fans were born that way with a silver spoon in their mouths. Entitled is a good word for them. It's the new generation that wants it and wants it now. When Ga wins, this group will not be humble about it. They will be "in your face". I personally don't like that. I'm low key. I'm probably not considered a good fan.

MSG
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    GEORGIA FOOTBALL They will be the heavy favorite by VEGAS in every game.
    This is more than a little bit exaggerated. The fact is that they may be favored but not heavily favored in every game. Georgia's strength of scheduled is rated 15th in the country. Dixie U's strength of scheduled is 59th. D.U. is the one that is undoubtedly the school with the much greater chance of going 12-0.

You are painting with too broad a brush to say that Georgia fans are not satisfied. Most GA fans are very satisfied with the team and support them win or lose. Also, there is a large portion of GA fans that were very much against the firing of Mark Richt. He was a great coach and a great man. Unfortunately Atlanta sports writers have more influence over the hiring and firing of coaches than Mike and I.

I am also a fan of poor little D.U. The program that has no money but is happy no matter what. Yes sir!

I am also a fan of poor little D.U. The program that has no money but is happy no matter what. Yes sir!
    Are we talking about the same school?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_State_Trailblazers

MSG
    Are we talking about the same school?
    Ha Ha.... You know we are.

I'm surprised that the politically correct crowd has not tried to make DU get rid of the name Dixie. They should have kept the mascot "Rebels". Dixie Rebels, I like that!

MSG
    Another 5 star 2020 commit for the Dawgs. This is a beast of a linebacker that chose Georgia over Ohio State. He said he really enjoyed his visits to GA. Very smart and articulate and says that the deciding factor was how GA recruited his Mom and Dad. He says that family is very important to him. Ranked 11th all time as a UGA Commit. Kind of a big deal.

5 star.jpg

Ranked 11th all time as a UGA Commit. Kind of a big deal.

Good catch Tony. That guy looks to be a great one.

https://247sports.com/college/clemso...lTimeRecruits/
    https://247sports.com/college/georgi...lTimeRecruits/

I looked up the Tigers, and while we don't have a long list of 5 stars like the Dawgs, fun is 6 of our top ten recruits are current and Georgia is similar.

Of course recruiting is a lot of luck and guess work. Many top recruits don't work out and some few or no star guys do.
    These lists are recent, for example, Herschel Walker was a 6 star by any standard.

The first big time player came to Clemson under Coach Bowden in 2001 -> Roscoe Crosby grading out at 99.78. I was at the opening game and the first play was a pass to the rookie. I can still hear the field announcer. He had also received $1.75 million to sign with baseball. He was a natural.
    He had some minor injury problems, many personal problems and never got going, dropped out of college ball, messed up baseball.

“I won’t lie. I wanted to live the good life,” Crosby says. “The money, the fame, the jewelry and cars. I wanted all of it because to me, at that age, I thought those things meant I was successful.” “I went for the quick fixes to feel better,” Crosby recalls. “I’d buy a car. Go out all night. Stupid things like that. I couldn’t see I was just digging a deeper hole for myself.”

So where is he now? Coach Dabo finds a place here for all past Tigers, if they will work on their degree. Crosby is now an advisor and student coach with the football team.
    “I’m at peace,” he (Crosby) says, smiling. “I feel like I have a lot to offer a lot of people. One of the biggest things is hope.”

MSG
    Good catch Tony. That guy looks to be a great one.

https://247sports.com/college/clemso...lTimeRecruits/
    https://247sports.com/college/georgi...lTimeRecruits/

I looked up the Tigers, and while we don't have a long list of 5 stars like the Dawgs, fun is 6 of our top ten recruits are current and Georgia is similar.

Of course recruiting is a lot of luck and guess work. Many top recruits don't work out and some few or no star guys do.

“I won’t lie. I wanted to live the good life,” Crosby says. “The money, the fame, the jewelry and cars. I wanted all of it because to me, at that age, I thought those things meant I was successful.” “I went for the quick fixes to feel better,” Crosby recalls. “I’d buy a car. Go out all night. Stupid things like that. I couldn’t see I was just digging a deeper hole for myself.”

So where is he now? Coach Dabo finds a place here for all past Tigers, if they will work on their degree. Crosby is now an advisor and student coach with the football team.
    “I’m at peace,” he (Crosby) says, smiling. “I feel like I have a lot to offer a lot of people. One of the biggest things is hope.”
    Georgia and Clemson are getting most of the players they want. Both schools are attractive to prospects and program success breeds more success. The future is bright for both.

The Crosby story is great. He will be a tremendous help and mentor for these young athletes. They have been told how great they are since 9th grade. A guy like Crosby can help keep them grounded and more humble.

----- non-lethal gunshot levels of desperation ----

Fun article:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ge...question-2019/

I'm in the 54%. No need to panic. The team is strong and appears to be getting better. Should happen within the next 3 years. Could happen this year.

On YC you can look back and see when I predicted that Tiger 2017 would be able to make a run.
    I looked like an asshole when 2016 won the Natty.

MSG
    It was reported today the Georgia's top receiver has been dismissed from the team. According to a police report from the UGA, Police Department obtained by DawgNation, the alleged incident took place in April of 2018 but was not reported until June 2, 2019 leading to pending charges of aggravated assault and battery.

Kirby Smart's statement...“Jeremiah Holloman no longer represents the University of Georgia football program,” Smart said. “We expect every member of our team to uphold the highest standards and values of the University of Georgia and Georgia football. It is disappointing when this does not happen.”

Of course, this is exactly what should happen and hopefully he will serve time in jail to the fullest extent of the law.

Where does this leave the receiving squad for the Dawgs. In Trouble!

According to DAWG Nation,
    Georgia’s leading returning wide receiver is Tyler Simmons. As a junior, Simmons caught 9 passes for 138 yards last season.Georgia did bring in several wide receivers this offseason to offset some of the expected losses to the NFL. Georgia signed 5-star wide receiver George Pickens, 4-star wide receiver Dominick Blaylock and 4-star athlete Makiya Tongue. The Bulldogs also brought in Lawrence Cager from Miami. Last season he caught 21 passes for 374 yards and 6 touchdowns for the Hurricanes.

It will be a problem but it is great to get this jerk off of the team and maybe it will be a big break for the younger guys stepping up.