Thread: Red-headed Woodpecker

Red-headed Woodpecker

I had these many years back. A couple were in a big Oak and would come to the porch for suet. They even would guard it. Then ,for years have had . I did photo a juvenile passing by a couple years back in the YC Migrant Contest.

They live in this area and most of the USA all year, I just never have any.
    It is a striking bird. Many people will see a Downy or a Red-bellied and say they saw a Red-headed.
    Males and females look the same.

"These birds fly to catch insects in the air or on the ground, forage on trees or gather and store nuts. They are omnivorous, eating insects, seeds, fruits, berries, nuts, and occasionally small rodents. About two thirds of their diet is made up of plants."

One has shown up here off the porch the last couple of days. I hope he hangs around.

Name:  rhwpyc.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  rhwp2yc.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  63.0 KB

For comparison, here is a Red-bellied Woodpecker in the yard. I see these every day all year. It generally arrvives sceaming at my bedroom window feeder before I get out of bed.

Name:  red.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  96.8 KB

Those are beautiful birds and look like they belong in Athens, GA or Dawg country. They could be spies headed over to Clemson. One stop at your place though, they may have it so good, they may it to Clemson or return to Dawg Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    Those are beautiful birds and look like they belong in Athens, GA or Dawg country. They could be spies headed over to Clemson. One stop at your place though, they may have it so good, they may it to Clemson or return to Dawg Country.
    That is due to the incredible Bird house you made for them.

I got more enjoyment out of that Bird House than the birds are getting. It was fun. Hope they are enjoying it.

I have not seen one of these this year. I usually have one around here by now. I finally got more seed and filled up 3 feeders Saturday and also put some seek on a few of the rocks by my little pond. I have yet to see a bird at one of the feeders. The seed by the pond was gone the next morning. I had this issue several years ago and moved the feeders a bit and then the birds ate the seeds. I was planning to go buy a few more and a few more of the tall hangers so there would be food all over the yard.I have an old wood pile that has lots of bugs and the birds are around that quite often but I am getting my feelings hurt about the feeders.