Thread: Everyday of the Year Birds

Everyday of the Year Birds

Add some birds we see all year. Some birds don't migrate in and out.
    We tend to take these guys for granted, but they provide year round excitement and fun.

If yall will post as to some, I will. If yall don't want to --
    I am the only guy in a tie

One for me (and the reason for starting this thread) is the Red-bellied Woodpecker.
    I have one jumping around in the trees squawking and mad as hell because I am outside.
    Lately he has been hitting the suet log 10 foot from my chair when I am not here. For years don't see them everyday from my chair.

Everyday for years they are in my bedroom window feeder. As they are active and noisy, my cats go wild and beat on the window. After nesting they haul off suet chunks and eventually show up in the window with kids to direct them to the food.
    I see these guys everyday, but as they don't show up near the chair often, not a lot of photos. I have some, but too lazy right now to hunt them down. If any respond to this thread, will hunt them up or have fun taking new ones.
    Here is a fun photo (not mine) that has the male and female together.

Name:  belly.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  191.4 KB

Most times when folks say they saw a red-headed woodpecker, actually they saw this guy and not a Red-headed Woodpecker (which I also have - sometimes)

They make a lot of noise talking and drumming on things, they are hard to ignore.
    They love insects and can catch them in flight. They come to my feeders for suet, peanuts, and shelled sunflower. Mostly they want suet, but are getting into peanuts.

Like many birds, they are territorial, so never will we have a lot of these in one yard.

CSM
    There are many but one of my most regular birds year-round are Cardinals (this one during a nice snowfall) a couple of years ago in Toccoa. This year seems more than ever!

Name:  CARDINAL-SNOW.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  85.8 KB

Another is the Tufted Titmouse! A very constant energetic visitor.

Name:  Tufted_Titmouse1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  37.6 KB

I agree Tony, with out Cardinals my yard would be dull. I know they are territorial, but always have a bunch.
    Here is some fun with them at my Branch, and a female taking a shower under the sprinkler:

Name:  card3.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  card.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  119.3 KB
    Name:  card2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  90.2 KB

I developed your great photo a little. Cardinals look best in snow. I have some photos somewhere

Name:  CARDINAL-SNOWa.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  78.5 KB

Carolina Chickadee

One of the birds that may land on my leg out here on the porch.
    If you put out a new feeder or food in a different spot, this is the bird mostly likely to find it first. They are friendly birds and have no problem living around houses and people.
    They are cute as hell, just a great looking bird. They sing and jump around and are an everyday friend. I would get nervous and worried if they were not a constant.

Diet
    Mostly insects, seeds, and berries. Caterpillars make up major part of diet in warmer months; also feeds on moths, bugs, beetles, aphids, various other insects and spiders. Also eats weed and tree seeds, berries, small fruits. -wiki

Here in my yard they eat most everything. Millet is down the list if other things are available. I know soon they will be eating the buds on my Elm Trees. Instead of being "picky eaters", they pick everything.

This is a Southern bird.
    Name:  range.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  12.4 KB
    Carolina chickadees are able to lower their body temperatures to induce an intentional state torpor when it gets to cold. I think that is cool. In Winter they flock. Other birds tag along. They drop by the porch for a bite, then move on. My flock hits often, so the circle is not too large. I guess it expands when food is scarce.
    They grab a seed and jump off to a limb to crack it open. It seems to me to require more energy than gained from a single seed, but they do OK. They are tiny,but very strong.

I have many photos and sadly see this is the one on YardCrap Birds. I will snap a few much better this week and add as this bird deserves better.
    Name:  chiccccc.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  87.6 KB

CSM
    Song Sparrows are here year-round and I see them most any time of year but not in large numbers. I saw this one today feeding on the ground as they like to do.

Name:  song sparrow.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  101.6 KB

And of course, Mourning Doves are frequent visitors any day of the year. Here is one sitting on the fence today near the feeders.

Name:  dove.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  40.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Song Sparrows are here year-round and I see them most any time of year but not in large numbers. I saw this one today feeding on the ground as they like to do.
    I put up a thread on SS 3 days back, guess no one saw it since no comments.
    http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.p...7-Song-Sparrow

As posted, I only get Song Sparrows in Winter. They arrive with the White-throated, and hang out with them, mostly on the ground.

As we don't live that far away from each other, just shows --??
    Here is a range map. I am right there on the edge.

Name:  31947811-720px.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  67.0 KB

CSM
    Yes, I did see your post and nice photos on the Song Sparrow. Maybe I see them more in Clayton (upper right tip of GA) we are a little more into the year-round range and more than 1,000 ft higher elevation than your place.