Thread: More Birds

More Birds

I know yall need something to read, and I am not busy. I should be, lots to do, but --?

Had a small filling replaced today, not even needed, but the Dentist needs some $$.
    This same filling was once replaced by my girl Janice (her husband is a foot racer). She said it was discolored. I said is it OK? She said, yes, but I am so afraid someone will ask who your dentist is. I miss her.

The lake is a couple feet over. My fish finder won't power up after only 15 years, and I was hoping I could replace it with out taking the boat out just by dragging it to beach. There is no beach now, just a drop off. I'll fish tomorrow without one. It don't help me catch fish, just need the depth gauge.

Birds are active everyday now. Just snapped a few. I'll post some new photos, maybe not as good as old photos, but new.

Here is a good example of birds are like people and don't all look alike.

Name:  pine799.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  pine777.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  178.9 KB

Both of those are Pine Warblers, but look like different birds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am the only guy in a tie

Here are some more.
    Keep in mind these are cut to a few killabits and nothing like the megabit originals.

Name:  cs799.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  118.2 KBChipping Sparrow

Name:  rbn799.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  188.6 KBRed-breasted Nuthatch

Name:  ss799.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  143.1 KBSong Sparrow

Name:  wts799.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  90.1 KBWhite-throated Sparrow

Name:  wbn799.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  193.6 KBWhite-breasted Nut Hatch

Name:  wren799.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  189.6 KBCarolina Wren

Name:  deer799.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  84.4 KB"Winkie" who showed up a few minutes ago.

If you look around, Winter has left the landscape with not much green. Soon it will again all be a lush jungle.
    Now is the time to buy some plants. Go to the nursery and buy what is green. Then next Winter, your garden will be green in Winter.

Here is a photo off my CatBird House:
    Name:  porch799oc.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  193.3 KB

The brown lump in the corner is my feet under a throw. Cold does not have to mean no green.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post

I probably have mistaken a house finch for a purple finch on occasion or vice-versa. I will check more closely in the coming days.
    I do it too. When I moved to Oconee saw PF and had in Matthews, just HF. There were no HF here. Now HF are plenty and PF have not multiplied.
    They eat mostly the same foods.

Color can be confusing unless they are side by side. Seen together they don't look the same.
    The deal is to look for streaks or absence of streaks on the belly.
    Here is a photo of a Purple Finch I just took at a sunflower feeder:
    Name:  purple799.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  42.9 KB

Here is a fun bird In a photo just snapped:
    Name:  Siskin799.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  191.4 KB

The Pine Siskin is a feisty bird. Just out of focus you can see a Gold Finch.
    We have the Gold Finch all year, beautiful bird, and House Finch and Purple Finch. The Pine Siskin eats what they eat, and they eat a lot.

The Pine Siskin is a Northern bird, but --?
    Migration by this bird is highly variable . Large numbers may move south one year and the next. I like to see them about every 5 years, but this is two years straight.
    When added to the local Finch population, can break the backyard feeder's bank.
    They are a delightful as they chirp and tussle, but hope they skip me next year.

The biggest change for me this season has been Blue Jays.
    I have always had them , but seldom at the feeders. For reasons that escape me, they have developed a taste for feeder food. They mostly take sunflower, but also some peanuts and suet mix.
    They are beautiful, noisy, and I like them! Other birds would disagree.

Just in this one thread, is enough to make all into not just bird watching people, but kinda expert to ID some Winter birds.
    Send $$ and beer if you agree.

Brown-headed Nuthatch

I have been getting visits from a Brown-headed Nuthatch lately. I mainly get the white-breasted variety but glad to see this visitor. I know that we live on the northern edge of their range. I am still trying to catch him on my camera
    Tiny bird we have all year. He is quick, grabs a seed and is off. They get very tame.
    Here is one from minutes ago:

Name:  P2270003a799.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  P2270008a799.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  174.0 KB

Around here they eat sunflower, nutra staff, suet, and peanuts. To my knowledge does not use my bird houses as does the White-breasted.
    This is a bird folks fly miles to see as its range is just a few southern states.

I guess no one is interested in me talking birds.
    Lots of crap in this thread, and it took a while to post.
    Even one reply would be nice, even if you are bored.
    I especially liked the Wren photo:

Name:  wrena800.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  74.3 KB

All these photos were taken in the last few days in bad lighting as it is to the rear. I am in shade shooting into it.
    The funny thing is not that most were birds 10 foot away, but that on my camera was a 600mm equivalent lens, and all are hand held. That would seem to be a very bad choice, and it is.

It says a lot as to this lens. The shadow in the lower above photo is actually a rod to hang a feeder on. It was not in focus and almost seems x-rayed through. A couple feet on from the rod, the detail captured under the eye and the shine in the eye is quite good, looks tripod level.
    The original photo before the pixels are reduced from millions to a few thousand is not too bad.
    Last edited by AgentOrange; 02-27-2019 at 03:55 PM.

CSM
    Your bird photos today are amazing! All three are great. Below, I am posting some with my new feeders that I am offering chopped peanuts. Chickadees have been sampling the peanuts all day along with Junco's on the ground feeder and Titmice on both. My point and shoot camera is crap for birding! At least, people can appreciate your photos better!
    Name:  chick2.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  70.0 KBName:  chick & titmouse.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  50.8 KBName:  junco.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  77.3 KB

Your bird photos today are amazing! All three are great. Below, I am posting some with my new feeders that I am offering chopped peanuts. Chickadees have been sampling the peanuts all day along with Junco's on the ground feeder and Titmice on both. My point and shoot camera is crap for birding! At least, people can appreciate your photos better!
    Name:  chick2.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  70.0 KBName:  chick & titmouse.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  50.8 KBName:  junco.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  77.3 KB

No one is buying that. Your photos are great. The feeder on the ground is actually a a deck rail feeder but good there.
    Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy looking at all of your bird pictures. They are quality pictures to say the least. All the birds look very happy and should be with the Five Star Food they have to choose from. If I was a bird, I know where I would be hanging out. The deer looked very healthy also. I've seen deer around here that did not look as healthy as the one at your place. They must be eating well also.