Thread: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

CSM

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

I am seeing lots of these tiny birds around my feeders and in the shrubs. They are fun to watch as they are very active flitting around constantly in our shrubs and back and forth to the feeders. I rarely see any red on the crown but it varies with the season I guess.

Name:  kinglet.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  52.4 KB

I have some good photos of that guy. He is on the porch today, but don't have my camera out here in the rain. He likes my peanut suet, hangs out with the Pine Warblers.
    He gleans bugs high in the tree branches, but will come to feedeers for the suet and chopped peanuts. They get tame quickly as do most of the suet birds.

We also have the Golden-crowned version. I don't have one lately. Here is a photo of both from the same place you got yours.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...mpare/67476611

The red is a flash maybe like on the Hummingbird? You need to be above him. It is especially visible when they are drinking at my pond.

CSM
    I tried to get a photo myself but these birds do not sit still for long!

Here is a decent one by me:
    Name:  king.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  50.2 KB

All my photos have the light at the back which is never good. I can't help that as my chair faces Georgia.

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Here is a decent one by me:
    Name:  king.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  50.2 KB

All my photos have the light at the back which is never good. I can't help that as my chair faces Georgia.
    Very nice! I love those energetic little birds!

Photos of a couple hundred pixels like we post here are no where near what the original megapixel photos are.

These days people's smart phones can take very good photos.
    To do OK with birds, the deal is more about the lens, which of course a camera phone does not have room for.

I would like to get up the Football Contest again this year, not just the Final Four one but a weekly one like we used to do here on YC.

Maybe one prize could be an excellent camera and lens I rarely use now. Any have use for an excellent camera?

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Photos of a couple hundred pixels like we post here are no where near what the original megapixel photos are.

I would like to get up the Football Contest again this year, not just the Final Four one but a weekly one like we used to do here on YC.

Maybe one prize could be an excellent camera and lens I rarely use now. Any have use for an excellent camera?
    That would be a very nice prize in my opinion!