Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: birding photography

inactive

birding photography

The Carolina Bird Club members post great pics from time to time. I wish I had the camera to do this. http://photographicmoment.net/p83989...aa2b#h3b1028c2

You and me both Steve. I think its going to be my next minor/major purchase. Birding, along with photography can be lots of fun and very rewarding.

AgentOrange
    Sun shine, blue skies - 60 in the shade.
    There are at least a hundred birds in the yard. Most are Chipping Sparrows. That is a cute, friendly little bird. I have a coupe all year, but in Winter many more show up. They prefer white millet and I buy it in 50 pound bags at the feed store.

Name:  Chipping Sparrow.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  173.7 KB

There is also a Bull Frog guarding the pond where the birds like to wash, so no bathing today.
    There is even a Map turtle up on a rock in the turtle pond today.
    Some Daffodils are blooming. I believe a cold front will be moving in over the week end, so this might be one of the nicer days until Spring. Here the last freeze is in the first week of April.

Here is a Hermit Thrush I caught sitting 8 feet from me stealing peanuts. He is not much of a "hermit".

Name:  Hermit Thrush.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  174.5 KB

AgentOrange
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    You and me both Steve. I think its going to be my next minor/major purchase. Birding, along with photography can be lots of fun and very rewarding.
    With a little patience, you can make some good photo buys on ebay, especially this time of year.
    A good used one to look for is what I have - Olympus E-620. This might be the last of the reasonable priced 4/3 cameras they make. You can often find a buy on just a camera body there as guys buy, then constantly upgrade, but of course do not sell their lens. There are many better, but in this price range - very good.

The reason I chose this camera is because of affordable lens. For birding, you need to reach out a little, in the range of 400 at least. To do that, built in image stabilization helps a hell of lot with digital cameras. A tripod is not very good as birds don't sit still. For those that do, a better option might be an attachment for your spotting scope.
    On most cameras, the stabilization is built into the lens ($$$$$). On Olympus, it is built into the camera. Many lens will fit this camera, but Olympus also has a good line. Lens cost more than low end cameras, especially with built in IS, so take that into consideration as you compare them all.

AgentOrange
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLeopard View Post
    The Carolina Bird Club members post great pics from time to time. I wish I had the camera to do this. http://photographicmoment.net/p83989...aa2b#h3b1028c2
    I have taken thousands of bird photos. Sometimes like the blind squirrel, end up with an acorn. It is easy and cheap to sit in the yard or walk through the woods with a digital camera and take a few hundred as unlike the film days, it cost nothing to snap the shutter.

I used to send in a few to CBC, but they never would post mine. I'm not even a member now.

inactive
    Thanks for the photos. Love those chippies. One of my best gets was last year on a beach trip while I was flounder gigging at night, I saw a diamondback terrapin and netted him. Just to have a look. Rare turtle.

AgentOrange
    Nikon outs new Coolpix trio: L810 with 26x zoom, waterproof S30 and Intelligent Auto L26

Name:  nc.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  32.2 KB

Looks to be a great deal for birders and at $280 a good buy.

Cool. Not my bag, but I enjoy your pics and reading your bird blog~

Spent part of the past week in the panhandle of Florida with my bride celebrating our anniversary. Seeing this was one of the highlights of my week.

Name:  DSCN4217-edt.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  190.7 KB

Very nice shot. Looks like he's thinking..................WTF ? :)

Bald Eagles are all over FL....there are a ton of them here in MD, too.

I was driving home from work one afternoon a few years ago & spotted one swooping down on a kill (rabbit!!) in a ploughed field....

Quote Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
    Very nice shot. Looks like he's thinking..................WTF ? :)
    I assumed he was thinking, 'if you don't get that camera off me I'll take your nose off.'

He surely has you in his sites !

AgentOrange
    We have them here at the lake. I worry about my cats. A few years back some were dying. A grad student at Clemson did a study and found the problem was posion water plants. The Grebes were eating the plants and the Eagles were eating the Grebes. GO CLEMSON.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Photos of a couple hundred pixels like we post here are no where near what the original megapixel photos are.

These days people's smart phones can take very good photos.
    To do OK with birds, the deal is more about the lens, which of course a camera phone does not have room for.

I would like to get up the Football Contest again this year, not just the Final Four one but a weekly one like we used to do here on YC.

Maybe one prize could be an excellent camera and lens I rarely use now. Any have use for an excellent camera?
    Bumping up this old post by Steve.
    It has some as to the E-620 camera that may go on the list for this years CFB Contest prizes.
    I have learned a lot since these posts back in 2012. I can't say my photos are better, but I have learned why.

Back when cameras used film, and now that cameras are computers, the deal for a good photo is still the basics (which I am not up to speed on).
    Basically it is using and adjusting to light. Lighting is always off on my photos as I shoot toward the Sun because my chair looks in that direction.
    Cameras can be adjusted to help out, but proper lighting is the big deal.

Olden cameras had many settings to adjust using light meters, etc and today's computer cameras are just silly with possible adjustments. A college course or many is needed.
    On the plus is most cameras have "auto" settings where the camera decides.
    I do a mix of auto and picking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast