Thread: Recruiting

Recruiting

I read an interesting article on how VT under Beamer excelled. He brought in good kids and taught them football. Ranking recruits is a silly (but fun) endeavor. The guys ranked with many stars are most times in strong programs and playing against strong programs. That is not the case for most high school players. Kids are out there with less stars who are the equal of any, but less noticed and maybe in need of better coaching.

This week a kid who likes Clemson posted:
    "Clemson doesn't really have a whole bunch of four and five stars. Dabo recruits the guys that he knows are going to get the job done. That's really how I think about Clemson. - Kevin Swint

Dabo of course wants the best athletes, and many of the best out there are also good kids.
    No "entitled" superstars will pick Clemson.
    It may take a little longer for some to grow in to TIGERS, but kids can develop at Clemson to be the best "them".

It seems to be working

This another fun day in college football which is a year round thing for me.
    This is second "signing day". These days most kids sign on early signing day, but a few who were undecided are making news today.

I see a 5 start flipped from Auburn to Georgia and a superstar flipped from Alabama to Florida.

It is very close as to whether Georgia or Alabama wins the recruitment race. Right now points are 314 to 308.
    Right now it seems Georgia has 5-FIVE STAR guys and Alabama has 3.
    No need to feel bad for Alabama as they will be OK.

Clemson is way back with just one 5-star, a Cornerback, but we rarely get those multi-star guys, so one is great.
    We got 15 3-star guys as Alabama and Georgia just accepted 1 and 3 respectability. Hey, those kids want to play too, so why not at Clemson?

Alabama has picked up 22 4-Stars and Georgia 15.

===================

Clemson needed a running back, and was hoping for 4-star Ealy, but he chose to stay home at Ole Miss. I understand that.
    We did beat out East Carolina for a 3-star local guy who may be the next Gallman?
    Georgia has about a hundred 5-star RBs and Alabama has a few.

A fun fact is a couple years back the Tigers won a National Championship with a 3-Star guy crushing it -> Gallman. Gallman also set the single season record for yards at Clemson.
    This year Clemson again won the National Championship with a 3-star back -- Etienne. He broke Gallman's record.

=====================
    Clemson also needed some linemen as do all schools. We of course got no 5-stars, but got some kids with potential who might grow into the job.
    The Tiger class of 2019 is way down the list, but Clemson got some good kids who fit the system.
    By the time they are needed, they will have developed into prime time guys.
    Five Star players often come for 3 years, and Three Star players are often around for 5 years.

=============================

Today new Tigers are a 2-star guard and a 3 star running back. Both appear to be good guys for Clemson. The list is here:
    reeee.jpg
    Can these guys take Clemson back to the Final Four this year?
    Hell no, but that is not their task. They have a couple years to grow and improve their game.

For this season some kids just like those have been improving for a couple years now, and getting ready for prime time play. No team can "expect" to be in the Final Four, so the goal is to be competitive. I believe when Vegas odds come out, Tigers will be in the mix.

Starting out with stars by your name is best, but how many you end up with in your last game is what counts.

Every position is critical in CFB, but none nearly as much as QB.
    Average teams with a great QB can make a splash.

Two teams got 5-star QBs that are not on the recruiting list.

Fun this season will be some QB transfers.

-- First up is Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a top ten program this season even I am the QB. With Hurts, they are a contender to win it all, including every game. Hurts might not win the Heisman like Mayfield and Murray did, but all know he can win any game. It is not a stretch to see Hurts winning the Heisman.

-- Second interesting transfer is Kelly Bryant to Missouri. They will need some "D" help, but the "O" should be improved over last season. Drew Lock left and Bryant brings a strong game and experience. He is better than Lock. They won 8 last year. 10 this year would not surprise as the schedule is favorable.

The two guys above have been in FF games and are great players. They are tested and great.