Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Bulldogs 2019

Teams do best with older players. It takes time for teens to grow their body and learn the game.
    Often a school who most years just hopes to get to a Bowl find themselves flush with older players and has a great year.

Georgia always has more talent than others. This year will be no exception. A fun stat to note is:

The Bulldogs return 15 starters – 11 were only freshmen and sophomores last season, including QB Jake Fromm and RB D’Andre Swift. Eight defensive starters return on a unit that was second in the SEC in total defense.

Anyway you look at it, this is the year of the Bull Dog.

Back when a footracer, met a guy in the park - Ed McNeil.
    He was a dedicated footracer and Georgia fan. He and his Bride became a huge part of our running group - LERA. I jogged many, many miles with him and was at many races with him. We bet a six pack on Clemson-Georgia. Looking back see I lost going 3-4.
    I lost contact with him when I moved to SC and he to Georgia.

(Unrelated) During that same period was betting a case of Guinness with great footracer Steve Pixley. Early on I was OK then VT went on a 5 game winning streak. Now my Tigers have won 5 straight so I am slightly ahead again.

The ups and downs and WTFs are the fun of CFB.

MSG
    Even with losing Elijah Holyfield to the NFL, the running back core should be exciting with D'Andre Swift, James Cook, Brian Herrien returning along with 5 star Zamir White who was out last year with an ACL tear. Zamir is said to potentially be the best of them.

The OL looks to be stronger than last year's excellent group and Jake Fromm should be even better without Justin Fields as a distraction.

The defense should be strong with lots of experience coming back. Several sophomores that got lots of playing time last year. They also have three DB recruits coming that are said to be elite.

Overall, Georgia is solid on Offense and Defense with lots of depth. Hopefully, Fromm can stay healthy all year. Stetson Bennett is his backup and he is very familiar with the system and can play but he is not Fromm. They are bringing in 4 star freshman, Dwan Mathis who could be the heir apparent but they hope to redshirt him this season.

They should be ranked somewhere in the top ten which will have Clemson and Alabama 1-2. The SEC is showing signs of getting stronger so it will be tough for the Dawgs to go undefeated in the SEC but it is a possibility. Another fun season ahead!

It seems that the qb position gets all the attention in the transfer saga. Only one can play yet the strong programs try to have three or four ready in case injuries or underperforming happens. Part of me says athletes should not have to sit for a year as regular students do not but we know it would lead to under the table recruiting. Lets face it. College bb and fb are pro sports......

Quote Originally Posted by gwalkerruns View Post
    It seems that the qb position gets all the attention in the transfer saga. Only one can play yet the strong programs try to have three or four ready in case injuries or underperforming happens. Part of me says athletes should not have to sit for a year as regular students do not but we know it would lead to under the table recruiting. Lets face it. College bb and fb are pro sports......
    Good post George. As for decades now we disagree - but not too much.

College and Pro are very different.
    There is much more money in Pro, but there is a ton of money in college.
    How this money is gained or distributed is different.

Right off the bat lets agree all Pro teams are rich and most college teams are not.
    The money in college teams is on a long scale. "Blue Bloods" who have had it for years have an advantage. Teams at colleges on the rise have now admitted that investing more in sports (especially football) has a better return on the dollar that Wall Street gives.

It is also great advertising for a college. Lately people now know as to Boise State, UCF, Clemson. Clemson is now not an unknown school when a grad puts it on their resume hoping for a job.

Pro players gain what the market will pay for their skills.
    College football players gain the cost of education in the field of their choice. They get books, shelter, food, and guidance. At Clemson if you don't go to class, you will not play.
    The value of all that to a kid is way up their in $$ and things not $ related.
    Those kids work very hard, and at some colleges are rewarded for it as to life style.
    Kids earning a scholarship are not all NFL prospects, just a small percent. Many will see limited action even in college. A kid not a star is never cut from the team as in Pros. Kids are brought in not just to shine on a Saturday, but to be an asset to the team.
    Kids are well "paid".

Coaches are different and are professionals just like the coaches in NFL. They are paid as to the market. Economic history shows that when a coach is not a bargain, they are replaced. Coach Saban is the highest paid, and at double his salary would be a bargain to Alabama.

Transfer rules are in flux. I want kids to have opportunity. Pro players sign a contract as do college kids. After that is filled (graduation) they are free to test the market. If they leave early, a penalty (one year on the bench with all benefits) does not seem harsh to me.
    * * * Deo Vindice * * *
    I don't know where it's leading me to
    But I know I can make it if I lean on you

Fields came to Ga to play. He believed that he could beat out Fromm and win the starting QB position. He got some limited playing time but did not shine. Fromm remained healthy and did shine and remained the starting QB. When Fromm came to Ga, he was 2nd string and had to wait for his opportunity. His opportunity came early due to an injury with the starting QB. (we have forgotten his name). Once Fromm got his opportunity, he shined and was able to keep the job and rightfully so. Fields did not want to wait for his opportunity and played the race card. Maybe Fields will shine at Ohio State. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Martell redshirted his freshman year at Ohio State and then served as Dwayne Haskins’ backup this past season, so he has two years of eligibility remaining. The former five-star recruit had hired a lawyer and was reportedly planning to argue that Urban Meyer’s sudden retirement was a reason he should be ruled eligible to play in 2019, and he was obviously successful.
    Just when it looked like Martell might finally get a shot to play at Ohio State, Justin Fields transferred to Columbus from Georgia. Fields also received a waiver that granted him immediate eligibility, so Martell made the right choice by bolting for Miami.

Neither of these guys shold play this season.
    There are no rules now. That is sad and bad for CFB.

You guys amaze me. What you guys seem to know about all of this blows my mind. I spend my time studying other things. I can never decide if sports focus is relaxing or stressful. So many seem to be obsessed with sports teams that they go crazy after every game based on a win or a loss. I would be stressed out all the time if I invested all the time and energy into all of this. I am glad you guys have so much fun with all of this and I enjoy reading all the posts. It is a great topic for friendly arguments. Since I watch but not “follow” teams I remain a casual fan only watching games for amusement.

The Georgia football program has had six players arrested in just the past six weeks. Is Coach Smart going to be like Coach Richt?

MSG
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    The Georgia football program has had six players arrested in just the past six weeks. Is Coach Smart going to be like Coach Richt?
    The athletic department has rules and automatic punishments that have to be followed. Here is a frustrated Kirby talking about it.

https://youtu.be/s-GBNB6BwNM

MSG
    I meant to give this link:

https://youtu.be/7Mew-pbrvTw

Dogs will be back this year. Offensive & Defensive lines are deeper and more experience. As far as the arrest, just a little bar room brawling. Players have a little fire in them. we just need to contain that,and put it on the playing field. Discipline will be light for these guys. Hopefully this will not get out of hand. We have a lot of very high character players that will take care of this and not the coaches. The goal is to win!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    . Discipline will be light for these guys. Hopefully this will not get out of hand.

dawg.jpg

MSG
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    dawg.jpg
    We are all disappointed and embarrassed about the bad behavior of a few. Luckily, so far, none of this team has been suspended due to the use of illegal substances. Some teams had a problem with that last year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast