Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CLEMSON TIGERS 2019

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    Ran across this today on Google News.

Best Chance to Reach Playoff, Win Title

According to ESPN's Playoff Predictor

TEAM CFP NATIONAL TITLE
    Clemson 83% 36%
    Alabama 71% 27%
    Michigan 41% 7%
    Georgia 40% 8%
    Oklahoma 35% 5%
    LSU 32% 6%
    Notre Dame 28% 4%
    Oregon 14% 1%
    Florida 10% 1%
    Penn State 8% <1%
    Auburn 7% <1%
    Ohio State 6% <1%
    Michigan State 5% <1%
    Washington 4% <1%
    Texas A&M 4% <1%
    Mississippi State 2% <1%
    Tennessee 2% <1%
    Missouri 1% <1%
    Utah 1% <1%
    UCLA 1% <1%
    "And that's all I have to say about that."

As we know due to the yearly 'YardCrap Final Four Contest', the FF is very difficult to pick.
    This ESPN list is fun but makes no sense. As it is not a list of best teams but those with the best chance at FF, it is just typical ESPN propaganda.

Most years no teams are undefeated, last year 3 were (Clemson, Alabama, Notre Dame). Being undefeated will get any Power Five team in.
    Which teams will be undefeated this season?

Georgia plays Notre Dame, so one of those will not go undefeated.
    Georgia plays Florida, so one of those will not go undefeated.
    LSU plays Alabama so one of those will not go undefeated.
    If you expand this over the entire ESPN list, this list of "defeated" grows.

Why is OHS ranked 12 and Michigan 3 ? Maybe Michigan is better (not until they prove it), but is the gap that big?

Clemson and Oklahoma have no defense this year, but are ranked high even as history proves that "D" wins championships.

Georgia has the most talent of all teams, why are they 3rd on this list?

Looking at the big picture, Oregon is much too low as to getting in the Final Four even though no one believes they could beat any of the top 15 on the list. Their chance of getting in (like Washington) is high.

ESPN owns the SEC and champions them 100% all year as it means $$ to them. Their commentary slants that way, and in a big way. Some of their experts still will not admit that Clemson crushed Alabama and Texas beat Georgia in Bowl Season.
    Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tex A&M, Miss State, Tennessee, and Missouri made their list. That is a joke in it self. They may or may not all be deserving of a TOP 15 list, but a real list predicting Final Four would have to factor in the fact they play each other.

Most likely only one team from each conference will get in, and one conference will be left out. A "Best Chance to Reach Playoff" list would consider that.

ESPN is not using facts, but just promoting "their" SEC.

I do not listen to the ESPN talking heads. It's hard for me to believe that they are paid for what they say and do and even harder to believe that folks out there in tv land listen to them. Some find them entertaining and informative. I find them neither. "Follow the Dollar", that's what they are all about. As far as the SEC goes, Georgia had their Spring Game yesterday. It's a glorified scrimmage and may reveal some insight about what to expect from some players. It does appear that they are strong on the OL and strong on defense. QB situation remains good. Receiver situation, ?. If all the stars line up accordingly, which includes big plays, some luck, good refereeing, and a team effort (team that gels), this may be the year. Forgot to mention the parole board. Hope that is not needed. May need a few "get out of jail free" cards given out to a few, but hopefully not. Over 52,000 fans showed up to view the "Spring Game" yesterday on a blustery day. Pressure is on! Go Dawgs!!!!

MSG
    ESPN is a joke. They are entertainers just like Hollywood.

As to Clemson, it is almost a sure thing that they will be back in the FF. Their schedule does not look strong with Texas A&M and South Carolina as their two biggest chances for upset. By the time they get to South Carolina, the Gamecocks are going to be beat up and depleted as they face a very difficult schedule. The Tigers get A&M at Death Valley so that helps the Tigers tremendously.

A.O. should not worry about the Tigers defense. They did lose some great players but Venables will have the new guys ready especially later in the season. Trevor and the offense will take the pressure off of them early with lots of points.

This may be the year that Clemson meets Georgia in the Final Four.

Then again, both might miss the FF. Here comes another exciting season!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post

As to Clemson, it is almost a sure thing that they will be back in the FF. Their schedule does not look strong with Texas A&M and South Carolina as their two biggest chances for upset. By the time they get to South Carolina, the Gamecocks are going to be beat up and depleted as they face a very difficult schedule. The Tigers get A&M at Death Valley so that helps the Tigers tremendously.
    I like reading all that, but this Tiger team is not the one from last year.
    The schedule Clemson plays might be easy for Georgia but will be difficult for the Tigers.
    The chance of going undefeated is not possible (as any real football historian knows).

Clemson at the end of the season with two losses or maybe one might not make the cut to the FF. I would be OK with that.
    I have no reason to doubt the committee will put in the best four teams. Tigers might miss a year and make it again in the future as the program is solid. Just to be in a conversation like this is off the chart for me.

If I paid much attention to team sports I would contribute but since I don't it seems like a waste of space. I travel over the southeast and I normally eat at the little bar at my hotels depending on where I am but there is always a little group of folks taking college sports. Now it is NHL and NBA and some baseball. I pay no attention to any of that. I do check on the Phillies from time to time as my parents were major fans and knew everything about it. My mom even with dimentia could watch a game and tell you everything that had go on since the opening pitch but could not remember my name. That is a fan.

I understand Marty.
    If it ain't fun don't do it.

Like with many things, a little interest is a start and can lead to harmless fun.
    My TIGERS need you as a fan.

Leave it up to me to get you on board. If you are a Christian who will support a Coach who was cut off on ESPN for yelling that, you might be a fan.
    Players here are not thugs. Some kids might mess up, but not allowed. Players here are not stars. No kid is special or different. Hell, yet "another" walk on, tiny Hunter Renfrow, is now hoping for a shot at NFL (and will get that chance). Clemson offers no kids until they have matured and can be evaluated as to people. One asshole can ruin a locker room.

Clemson does not cheat (no matter what Robert implies).

Players who skip a class don't practice or play.

It kinda surprises me as to how many good players seek this type enviorment back in the woods near no strip clubs. Most prefer big times in bigger places, but not all.

I'll mail you a hat.

Talking as to Running Backs because -- why not?

Feaster entering the transfer portal is harsh. In my years as a fan, few have been his equal or as important. He is a star and will be a great PRO. He has it all. It is easy to argue he was our best back as he knows how to play. He is expert as a blocker and a reciever. He is very, very fast and also strong.

He was again going to be 2nd on this team to Etienne who has unexpectedly bloomed.

Feaster will be a Clemson Grad and is all in. He just wants a chance to get more carries. Any team he chooses will be better, and he could lead the nation. I hope he does.

So where does that leave Clemson?
    Behind Etienne will be Dixon who did great in mop up last season, but has no real experience. Next up is a walk-on, Renzler who has been solid.
    The deal at Clemson is the RB must be an excellent blocker to get playing time. Feaster was the best. Dixon seems to have no clue as to that.
    There are a couple freshmen not yet on campus, so you can't expect real help from them.

Last year was Choice, Feaster, and Etienne, just great! One back cannot carry the load.

Football experts get paid to talk football, so they are putting up all sorts of fun things as Summer approaches. I do the same, just don't get paid.

The common trend that the experts quote each other on are the soft spots at Clemson (and other schools). The consensus of experts is that the Tiger "D" has disappeared.
    They have not disappeared, just will be playing in the NFL this year.
    The line is gone and the secondary took some big hits.

I say don't panic - yet. Until the new team takes the field, the "D" is unknown.
    The first two games are Georgia Tech and Texas A&M. We will have a clue after those games.
    We know the "D" will be less and improving as the season wears on. We don't know that it will be a disaster and the cause of many losses this season.

What we know is that many who will start this year, could have started last year if the Power Rangers had not surprised everyone by returning.
    We know all the guys on this new "D" have lots of quality experience. We know they have talent. We know they are coached by the best --> Coach V.

My guess is that while after the season they may not rank #1 as did the Power Rangers, they will be top ten.

As everyone is eager for my next post here --> who is the break out player this season?

The quick answer is Ross. I have to say no as he broke out as a freshman. He will not be surprising anyone, especially Alabama who he crushed.

I would say Lyn-J Dixon is a guy to watch. With Feaster leaving, much will be expected of Dixon.
    As a Freshman he had 62 attempts, mostly in mop up duty after the Tigers were up 50 points. He was playing against worn out opponents who had given up. He made the best of it, 8.8 average and 5 TDs.

He is from Georgia and came in kinda small around 175. He is very quick, and has put on muscle, and may be up to 195 this season. His knock last season was he had to learn to protect the QB. Otherwise, he was unexpectedly special. Most saw him as a return guy, but nope, he is a running back.
    With Feaster and Choice gone, he will be getting the ball a lot.
    Can he be as good as last year, but now playing when the game is still being contested?
    Stay tuned.

USA TODAY released their top linebacker rankings for 2019 on Tuesday and has Clemson junior Isaiah Simmons as the top linebacker in the entire country.

The last couple years Clemson stopped the run.
    Last season the Tigers were #1 in the USA as to it. Excellent running backs behind excellent "O" lines were unable to run the ball. That makes perfect sense as Dexter Lawrence and Christian Wilkins were more than capable.
    That made teams one dimensional (pass) and easier to defend against.

This season the big boys are gone. New kids will line up.
    They are not as big, not as strong, and certainly not as experienced.
    How will that work out?

After first hit a good running back can get a "lean" for a few yards to turn 2 into 5 (as long as the Power Rangers are not there).
    My guess is this 2019 line will not be as good. I say that due to the fact that no line in CFB history has been as good as The 2018 Tigers.

Will these new kids be able to get the job done? Will they be able to limit the run and annoy the passer?
    I have been keeping up with them since they were high school prospects. Like most avid fans, know their hometown and maybe the name of their Mom.
    Unlike the experts, I am not worried.
    Go ask Alice, I think she'll know

Today is the last day of practice for the Tigers.
    Next week they go into normal game planing.
    How has it gone?

I read everything, hear all the coaches and players talk.

Many players are injured and on light duty. This is normal. At this point only slot reciever Rogers is out for at least several games and maybe the season. He was a huge part of the offense last season, so that hurts.

The main thing seems to be lack of depth, especially on defense. No team plays as many guys as Clemson. I don't mean just mop up, but in the thick of the game. This season guys may have to play longer with less relief.

Lack of depth is also at running back. Choice and Feaster are gone. Etienne is the only back with experience. Dixon and Rencher played last year, but just in mop up when the opponent was just calling it in and wanting the game to end. Also here are two freshmen.
    On the one hand, our main running back is awesome, but one guy is not enough. Last season Etienne averaged 13.6 attempts a game. He may have to average 20 this year.

At tight end we have no experience. Some teams don't use a tight end, but it is huge at Clemson.

All the above indicates a couple serious injuries could have a huge impact on the season.
    That was less the case last season.

I see no one has replied since early April. Is no one interested in my thoughts?

All is not yet lost.
    The Tigers have a lot going for them this season.

First off --> the coaching staff is back again. These guys understand the game, and the Tiger system. They been doing it for years. This is a huge plus. It cannot be over stated.

Second is there is talent on the Tiger roster. Many other teams have great talent, but unlike a decade back, the Tigers now have some too.

---------- The offense is in great shape.
    Games are decided in the trenches, and the "O" line is in good shape, maybe the equal of any Tiger "O" line. Only time will tell.
    -----------The QB room is in great shape. There is experience and talent. Here are 4 guys who would start at most schools, not just some, but most.
    -----------The Receivers room is in great shape. This is a premier position in football these days. Across the nation are great ones. In the Tiger room are not just a couple, but many.
    -----------The RB room lacks experience, but has talent. I can remember when the Tiger running game was added to by the QB and the slot receiver. That is not now. Guys the general public have not heard of will have to step up. The deal at Clemson is the RB must be excellent at protecting the QB. The new guys just don't have that down yet as in high school they just carry the ball. Here if all you can do is carry the ball, you will never see the field.

The defense is said by experts to be crap, but ~~
    -----------The Linebacker room is in great shape.
    -----------The Corners and Safeties are in great shape.
    -----------The "D" line is in good shape. It may be in great shape when the new kids gain experience. The talent is there. Power Rangers are gone, these guys were trained hard by them.

Barring the always possible injuries, on paper the team will be competitive.

All teams have good and bad spots. The TIGERS will be ready for kick off.