Thread: CLEMSON vs Notre Dame

CLEMSON vs Notre Dame

For many years I was anti-ND as they seemed to have unfair advantage. This was before most reading this were born. They had their own TV deal and all their games were on TV. Also they were able to recruit all over the entire USA kinda like the Pope. That was not unfair, it was ND.

I remember back in the 70's during the steroid days for high school and college players. When ND took the field, some say it tilted due to the weight.

ND is ranked 4th in wins at .722 and Clemson 22nd at .614.
    ND has 11 National Championships and Clemson has 2 (most colleges have none).

Clemson has played ND just 3 times, but in coming years are scheduled to play them often. They are "kinda" in the ACC for basketball but don't want to give up their TV advantage for football by joining a league. I get that. This year they have proved they can stand alone.

Clemson won in 1979 and 2015. We lost in 1977.

The 2015 game was awesome and now stuck in the memory of ND and Clemson fans.
    It was covered here on YardCrap.
    A hurricane like rain was falling. I have seen many snow games, but this was one for history that may never be equaled. I will not attempt to describe the rain, except to say ~~
    Clemson had the now legendary Deshawn Watson who was just 11/22 and just 97 yards.
    ND QB Kizer was like a duck and passed for 321 yards.

ND had a problem running in the rain going for 116. QB Watson was not passing at a champion level but ran for 93. The yet unknown RB Gallman went for 98. In my opinion Gallman is the best RB ever at Clemson. His stats do not show how often he made an impossible 3 yard run and then again, and again.

Rain fell like on Noah and his crew. It is hard to describe. It was a hurricane.
    Often the cameras were not able to record the play.
    Going into the 4th quarter Clemson was up 21-3. As all real fans know, depth is the deal and ND had that, Clemson players wore out. ND scored 19 in the 4th. We could not stop them, we were too tired.

ND scored again from one yard out on a pass and there was 7 seconds left. The game was at 24-22 and the Tiger defenders were too shot to respond. ND needed a 2 point conversion to tie and that seemed to be an easy task. The rain kicked up a notch. Hell was falling.
    The Tigers refused to yield and history was made.
    "On the ROY Bus, but We’re Coming!”

The bookies have bama and clemson as huge favs. I think they know better than the so called committee. It all will come down to the health of tua. Not good and everyone has a chance. If good bama strong favorite. Btw, why can’t the schools go back to 11 games and make it a eight team playoff with one round on the top seeds campuses? Either that or cut out the silly conf title games which have become a joke for the most part. If we had eight, you could add the buckeyes, georgia, central florida and michigan or washington (if you are mandating conf champions). Ratings would go through the roof and the money would make up for the loss of conf champ games if they cut those out.

In saw ND play some this season.
    They played some good teams, and everybody gives ND their best game.
    They are a blue-blooded as a team can be. ND is special for a reason.
    I've read some of what experts think, but they will not crank up much until the game is closer.

ND has a good "D" and a good "O". They are a balanced team and can run or pass depending what is required. They defend well in all areas of the field and have allowed very few long plays.
    On both sides of the ball they rank high as does Clemson and Alabama. Oklahoma slides some as to defense but is way ahead with offense.

Their top running back is at a 1000 yards and missed the first 4 games, so that could be over 1400 which is impressive. The team ran for 2286 in 12 games. They have a top tier "O" line 2nd to none, and it will be interesting how they match with Clemson's Power Rangers. They had no problem with Michigan who is the national leader in "D". That was without the current QB and RB. Their point production has increased mid season after these two became starters. This is a much better team than played Michigan.

ND changed QBs mid season and has passed for 3187 in 12 games. Book has averaged 8.1 yrds with 70.4% so excellent! Clemson had an easier schedule and falls short of that.

The ND "D" is strong. I would say this is the best part of the team. The "D" adjusts well during games and has no real weakness to exploit.

Overall, and in area you look, ND is complete and balanced. They adjust to the team they are playing and win in different ways. They are deep and well coached. This is a much better team than the one Clemson played a couple years ago, and that was a game history will remember.

I need more info, but no reason I can think on it some now.
    I have 6 good bottles of Warsteiner here on the porch and a nice fire to help with the task.

Some experts will post near game day and break it down as to unit against unit which is fun.
    It rarely works out as predicted on the field, but is still fun. You can post how you see it as my sight is orange colored. I am a "Tiger Homer" and it is difficult for me to be impartial. Days out I always believe we will win by 50. As kick off nears, I am too nervous to think.

Up next:
    When Clemson has the ball ---

Clemson "O" against ND "D":

ND on average holds teams under 20.
    ND has played and slowed some very good offenses this season. The average would be under 20points with the top being Wake who put up 27. (From game one I have been a fan of the WAKE freshman QB Hartman. He got knocked out for the last games, but will be one of the best next year.)
    Basically ND played a tough schedule and held teams in the teens or less.

--This will be the best "O" line ND has faced and the best "D" line Clemson has faced.
    --This will be the best passing game ND has faced and the best secondary Clemson has faced.
    --This will be the best running game ND has faced and the best "D" Clemson has faced.

Can Clemson get over 20? The Tigers are balanced and have a strong "O" line.
    Weapons are everywhere, guarding one or two Tigers is not enough.

ND will do like all teams and go after the freshman QB while clogging up the middle to limit runs. Clemson runs up the middle this year and has gone less to the sweeps and one yard passes used constantly in past years. That is actually just edge running. I expect to see more outside running using those tactics in this game, especially early on to test their speed to react. I believe that a quarter of that could bring in the ND secondary and open up the longer passes. Clemson has two 6'4 receivers that can stretch any field. They are not yet famous, but I would say they are the best duo in the nation.
    ND just does not allow long yardage plays --> ever. To keep that going ND cannot allow the Tiger freshman QB an extra second, or he certainly can put the ball down field to Higgins and Ross. He has an NFL arm at 18.

Stopping the Tiger RBs is paramount for ND. This is the best "D" the Tigers have faced, and then some. I believe running will be tough. Lucky for the Tigers, the stable is deep and fresh backs will keep pounding. These are 3 strong guys who pound. Etienne gets most of the press, but the others are better than ND has faced. I don't see Clemson running all over ND, but I believe the RBs will balance the game enough to allow passing and vice versa. For most teams it is "pick your poison", but a team like ND can match up one on one.

When Clemson has the ball, it seems reasonable to believe the score will get out of the teens.
    Do you disagree?

The ND "O" against the Clemson "D":

ND scores points and does it against the best. This is especially true after mid season when the QB changed and the RB came back. They have often been over 40 with an average of 34. They do that in a balanced way running and passing. They adjust and are able to explot any weakness in a team.

Experts claim the Tiger secondary is crap.
    Experts claim the Tiger line is solid.
    That would indicate more passing (if you believe experts).

To pass, ND will need an excellent "O" line and they have that.
    To run, ND will need an excellent "O' line and ~

Clemson lines up with 4 on the front as that seems to be enough. They call themselves the "Power Rangers" and have backed it up. It has been difficult to run on these guys. The best plan has been quick passes from the QB.
    QB Book is very good as less than that does not make the FF. He averages 8.8 and has a 70.4 completion rate. That is off the chart great. He throws about 35 times a game as ND is balanced.
    Book also runs the ball, but is more of a Pro-style guy. He grades out really well. One can say his "future" is bright except the truth is that his "present" has been bright. He is the real deal and will be back to ND next year as a Senior. They have a winner in this guy.

For Book to have some time to operate, ND must run the ball, and they can. The Tiger "D" up his his ass will be more than Book has experienced. The ND "O" line is great, but ND must be able to maintain a threat with the run game if Book is to be a factor.
    Running on Clemson has been difficult. Teams like to run between the tackles and that means against Wilkins and Lawrence. In a game that is the toughest task of the day.

These guys are best friends and taunt each other as to who is having the best game. They are not just the best tackles in CFB, but beyond that. ND will not be able to take them out of the game. Double teaming them (which must be done) opens up holes.
    wl.jpg

The Tiger "DEs" will be early picks for the NFL next year. They both attack with finesse and rage. From time to time they will disrupt. The ND "O" line will be tested. The QB will be on the ground often.
    bf.jpg

The deal is the Clemson "O" is young and has been protected by these "D" guys. In most games if Clemson can score 20 they win.

ND will hope to attack the young Tiger secondary, but that is difficult with the Power Rangers eating your lunch.
    prs.jpg

One big difference in games is teams not deep wear down. You can count on that 80% of the time (made that % up). I have seen more games than most as I am old. Football is tough and guys wear out. Deep teams win. ND is deep. Clemson is deep. No one is wearing out.
    This game will last the entire 60 minutes. No one will fold.

I believe the difference will be Clemson will score more. In 100% of games the teams that score more wins.

The Tiger "D" will hold ND to less than they hold us. Make no mistake, the Tiger "D" has won every game this season. I expect this game will be tougher, but with the same results.

Notre Dame has gone undefeated in the regular season, 12-0, twice during Brian Kelly’s nine seasons. That may not seem like a lot to some people, but here is a list of other college football teams (power 5 schools only) who have gone undefeated twice during this time span.

Alabama Crimson Tide (2016, 2018)
    Clemson Tigers (2015, 2018)
    Florida State Seminoles (2013, 2014)
    Notre Dame (2012, 2018)

End of list.

More fun taken from a ND fan site:

This year is the 5th year of the college football playoff. Every year four teams make it, so that means a total of 20 teams have qualified. Here is a list of the schools who have qualified for the college football playoff over the last five years.

Alabama Crimson Tide (5)
    Clemson Tigers (4)
    Oklahoma Sooners (3)
    Ohio State Buckeyes (2)
    Washington Huskies (1)
    Michigan State Spartans (1)
    Oregon Ducks (1)
    Florida State Seminoles (1)
    Georgia Bulldogs (1)
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish (1)

End of list.

Notre Dame is one of 10 schools to make it to the college football playoff over the last five years. Again, the Irish are in an elite group.

CFB expert Herbstreit has some early thoughts:

So far, Trevor Lawrence’s freshman season at Clemson has worked out pretty well.
    However, as good of a first season Lawrence has had, he isn’t the key to slowing down Clemson’s offense, something ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit pointed out when giving an early preview of the Tigers’ Cotton Bowl matchup with No. 3 Notre Dame.

Herbstreit says Notre Dame will be gearing up to stop Lawrence, but he says they better not sleep on Clemson’s skill players. He said on College GameDay Saturday morning, Clemson wide receivers Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow and Amari Rodgers are elite players and they are nothing like the Irish has seen all year.

“We have talked a lot in the week that we have known about this game in Trevor Lawrence and how he would do against this Notre Dame defense. The defensive line on this Notre Dame defense is very talented,” he said. “I will tell you what, though. If I am Brian Kelly, the biggest area of concern for me will be matching up with Clemson’s skill. Clemson’s wide receivers are elite.”

“They have been the biggest difference this year,” Herbstreit said. “We talk so much about Lawrence, but I think the depth and the aggressive nature and approach of those wide receivers allows them to be able to stretch the field. The big play at Clemson is back this year.”

The biggest difference he said about the Clemson offense compared to past years is the Tigers’ ability to run the football. When a defense drops its safeties back to take away the big plays, the Tigers just turn around and hand the ball to Travis Etienne, the ACC’s Player of the Year.

Etienne leads the ACC in rushing yards (1,463), rushing yards per game (112.5), yards per carry (8.3), rushing touchdowns (21) and total touchdowns (22).

As a team, Clemson is averaging 259.8 rushing yards per game, the best per game average at Clemson in 30 years on the ground, which ranks 10th nationally.

“So, they will attack you downfield and just when you get worried and you drop your safeties back because of the threat of that vertical passing game, here comes maybe the best back in college football in Travis Etienne and they have depth at that position,” Herbstreit said. “I know we are always going to focus on Lawrence because he is the young guy, but Notre Dame has to be ready because they have not seen anything like Clemson as far as the skill is concerned.”

Experts are now weighing in.
    They are experts for many reasons, among them they are media, have a voice, and get paid to say things everyday.
    Sadly most just re-post from other experts and add little insight.

The media claims that all ND needs to do is rattle the Tiger freshman QB and then pick apart the crappy Clemson secondary.

All agree ND has the talent to do that.

I agree ND is the best the Tigers have faced. Their "D" is very strong on the line and those guys behind it have shut down all teams.

I agree that the ND QB is very good, but will not agree he is the best we have faced. Yep, slipped up and said "we" as I am a homer.

Some of the guys behind the Power Rangers who could turn PRO this year are are:
    Isaiah Simmons, redshirt sophomore
    Tre Lamar, junior
    K’Von Wallace, junior
    Tanner Muse, redshirt junior
    Trayvon Mullen, junior

These guys are battle tested. They are excellent.
    They are incredible defenders.
    They do what Coach V wants done.
    The deal is not to shine your ego but win the game. They are 13-0 at that.
    Important is the Tiger front four may be the best ever in CFB and less in need of help from the secondary.
    The deal is not racking up meaningless stat numbers but not allowing scoring points. These guys don't allow that. Coach V could bust a vein and they love him.
    WTF are the experts seeing that I miss?

As to rattling the 18 year old QB, been tried every week.
    After a hard season, he is not that kid.

Tiger Football is extremely important in my life because it is as silly as my jogging. It is a 365 day deal as recruiting is great fun. By the time a Tiger takes the field, I have been keeping up with him since high school and even know about his parents. Putting "over-the-top" emphasis on things with no real meaning have kept me sane for decades.

It pains me that none of my YC friends have posted to this thread.
    Not all love the Tigers, but don't all love me?

I have not see these many posts on one topic by one person on Yard Crap. It may have happened but I do not recall.
    When I was growing up Notre Dame was it. Going to Catholic schools kindergarten through college in the 50s and 60s it was natural. I honestly don't follow sports much as it is not that interesting to me. I do like watching it and hearing people talk about it but there are too many things I am interested in that occupy my time to spend much time on all the various team sports. One of the reasons I enjoy track and field and road running is because people do what they do on their own once the gun goes off. I know they feed off each other but it is different. I can't even keep up with that any more. I didn't go to the foot locker meet at McAlpine this year. Next year I plan to get the cross country schedule for Queens and maybe UNC Charlotte and see if I can get to races for them at least in McAlpine. I see lots of the Queens runners in the park on Sunday again now. They usually finish around 9 when I get there. They were not there much the past few years but for about 7 or 8 years prior to that they were there on Sundays in large numbers and it was great to see all the young runners flying through the park. There have been some really fast women on the team over the years or at least they looked fast to me. When they first showed up I could keep up with them but that went away by the second year or so they were down there.

Getting back to other team sports, I have always liked Clemson football as I have always known folks that went to Clemson who always talked about it and their interest made it ok. For a while I think I even know the names of some of the players. I have to pick ND for obvious reasons having nothing to do with how good they may be.

map made from social media as to what fans are pulling for
    band.jpg