Dove
    Red-headed Woodpecker
    Ruby Kinglet
    Chipping Sparrow
    White-throated Sparrow
    Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
    Robin

All seen from my porch chair.
    I now have many Winter birds, and the yard is always active. One odd thing is the last several days a couple of Blue Jays are often at the sunflower feeders. I have them all year, but over my 17 years here, have not had them regular at the feeders, mostly getting water or just having fun raising hell.

I have yet to see a Song Sparrow or a Junco. I believe I saw a Creeper a couple days back. Some birds (Thrush, Thrasher, Catbird, Yellow-rumped Warbler) that are normally here are so far missing today.

My Chipping Sparrow population was low last year at just a couple dozen as opposed to the normal hundred. So far I have maybe ten, but suspect the numbers will swell. They are fun birds and just eat millet which is cheap at $25 for 50 pounds. Most people put out "bird seed" from the supermarket which is mostly red and white millet. That mix is a waste of money. Birds eat the white, so go to a feed store. Millet is not a favorite of many year-round birds. The Cardinals like to nibble on it, so I keep some out all year. Come Winter it is the choice of all types of Sparrows.

Pine Siskins came by a couple weeks back but moved on. I am kinda glad as I had them last Winter. They can break the feeder budget. Unlike most birds, they migrate to a different area each year. They like sunflower as do my many, many Finches and most birds.

Here is a Maine Coon Cat at the Branch (The Devil) looking for a bird to jump. He is a loner as my cats refuse to be his friend. My experience is well fed cats rarely get serious enough to actually catch a bird, especially a mature one.

Name:  DEVILyc.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  62.1 KB

CSM
    I got a new feeder and also got a big bag of White Millet as recommended by A.O. The birds are taking to it very well. Here are some birds from this morning in Clayton, GA. Photos are not great since I took them through my window because it was cold and breezy! Saw lots of ground feeding birds as well as those on the feeders. Junco, Cardinals, Chipping Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, Doves, Goldfinches and Blue Jays.

Name:  P1030444.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  41.8 KBName:  P1030465.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  39.1 KBName:  P1030450.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  120.0 KBName:  P1030474.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  156.8 KBName:  P1030472.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  81.8 KB

Great photos Tony, thanks for sharing.
    This is the first Winter in maybe 25 that I have not seen even one Junco in my yard.

Here are a few guys from this week:
    Name:  blue.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  43.8 KB
    Blue Jay

Name:  Pine.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  184.9 KB
    Pine Warbler

Name:  Red-breasted.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  173.6 KB
    Red-breasted Nuthatch

Name:  White Breasted.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  172.4 KB
    White-breasted Nuthatch

Name:  sap2.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  98.9 KB
    Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

I would have added the Brown-headed nut hatch, but he is too quick for me today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CSM
    Those are beautiful! I don't get the red-breasted Nuthatches very often mostly white-breasted but I love to watch them climbing down the trees head-first. That Pine Warbler photo is stunning!

I am also seeing Mockingbirds today! Mostly ground feeding but some on the feeders.

Name:  P1030510.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  71.7 KBName:  P1030514.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  147.0 KB

CSM
    I am currently feeding only two kinds of seed. Black Oil Sunflower and White Millet along with Suet.

Here are the birds at our feeders in Clayton, GA today...Feb. 13, 2019

Cardinal
    Gold Finch
    Mockingbird
    Tufted Titmouse
    Black-capped Chickadee
    White-breasted Nuthatch
    Junco
    Pine Warbler
    Goldfinch
    House Finch
    Red-bellied Woodpecker
    Downy Woodpecker
    Red-wing Blackbirds
    Carolina Wren
    Chipping Sparrow
    White-throated Sparrow
    Blue Jay
    Ruby-crowned Kinglet
    Dove

I also saw a couple of Blue Birds on the fence.

Great list, your place must be fun.
    I have those today except for the Junco, Blackbird, and Bluebird.

I have no idea why I have no Junco this Winter. Every Winter they arrive with the White-throats and Song Sparrows. It just seems odd, and I am blaming it on green energy idiots (windmill turbines).

I have a couple Red-wings a few times a year. It is not a bird I see often. They drop in for some water and a little millet. Often you hear them before you see them.

As to Bluebirds, seldom see one from my chair. I have raised bunches in my houses, they don't hang out nbear the Catbird chair. I know they like open spaces, and maybe that is why.

Tony if you have Gold and House Finches, you may also have Purple. Look for a buff breast as opposed to the streaks on the House Finch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I am currently feeding only two kinds of seed. Black Oil Sunflower and White Millet along with Suet.

Tony, add this to your larder.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJR99QD...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    You can get these
    Name:  pea.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  52.5 KB

at Tractor Supply for $7.99 and cheaper with sales and coupons at
    https://www.drsfostersmith.com/wild-birds/pr/c/9089

You need the chopper as birds swipe pieces, so smaller is better for the pocket book. The fine bits are preferred by birds not into crushing seeds like the Wren. Many peanuts sold for birds are not cheaper and just dried up crap.

I'll send you a hanging basket feeder if you want to try this , have a few extra.
    Name:  feeder.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  47.9 KB

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Tony, add this to your larder.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJR99QD...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    You can get these
    Name:  pea.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  52.5 KB

at Tractor Supply for $7.99 and cheaper with sales and coupons at
    https://www.drsfostersmith.com/wild-birds/pr/c/9089

You need the chopper as birds swipe pieces, so smaller is better for the pocket book. The fine bits are preferred by birds not into crushing seeds like the Wren. Many peanuts sold for birds are not cheaper and just dried up crap.

I'll send you a hanging basket feeder if you want to try this , have a few extra.
    Name:  feeder.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  47.9 KB
    Thanks Bill, I will add the peanuts next. Sounds like a good deal. My Red-wing Blackbirds are flocking and eating their share of the feed. I occasionally open the door and it sends them across the field into a tall Sycamore tree. Then they are back 5 minutes later. I don't mind because they are usually here for a short season before they move on. They are actually a beautiful bird!

I hate to impose on you to mail me a hanging basket feeder but if you have plenty, I would like to try one. I will find a way to make it up to you later!

I probably have mistaken a house finch for a purple finch on occasion or vice-versa. I will check more closely in the coming days.

I hate to impose on you to mail me a hanging basket feeder but if you have plenty, I would like to try one. I will find a way to make it up to you later!
    Ha ha, I am trying to make up for all you have done for me.
    I have it boxed, but hope to make the hike tomorrow, so will save postage.

CSM
    I have been getting visits from a Brown-headed Nuthatch lately. I mainly get the white-breasted variety but glad to see this visitor. I know that we live on the northern edge of their range. I am still trying to catch him on my camera but this is a photo from Cornell.

Name:  brown-headed nuthatch.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  30.8 KB

I have been getting visits from a Brown-headed Nuthatch lately. I mainly get the white-breasted variety but glad to see this visitor. I know that we live on the northern edge of their range. I am still trying to catch him on my camera but this is a photo from Cornell.

Name:  brown-headed nuthatch.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  30.8 KB
    I have them every day all year. Also the White-breasted, but the Red-breasted migrates away.

Many of my birds have taken to peanuts. I find that kinda odd as peanuts grow underground and so not a natural food for birds.

In addition to the real peanut feeder (which is great), I use this basket under a dome to keep off all the great rain we have been getting. The birds like it even though it is less than 10ft from my chair. It is constant action even while I am adding more.
    Name:  feederoc799.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  176.7 KB

Common at it are:

- Chickadee
    - Titmouse
    - all 3 Nut Hatches
    - Pine Warblers
    -Wren

In my bedroom window feeder the Cardinals and Red-bellied Woodpecker also are a constant on the peanuts.
    I am the only guy in a tie

CSM
    I mixed up a batch of Peanut Butter cornmeal fake suet yesterday and it is a big hit with some nuthatches and more so with the Cardinals. It is going fast!

CSM
    I have not had many Towhees lately but I have seen a couple of them feeding on the ground under the feeders (as usual) today. Also the nuthatches have about finished off the peanut butter suet.

Name:  P1030942.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  P1030914.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  52.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast