Thread: Unusual Weather We're Having, Ain't it?

Hybrid View

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)

Unusual Weather We're Having, Ain't it?

My pear trees are blooming for the second time.
    Name:  YCpearbloom.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  145.3 KB

To paraphrase the Cowardly Lion WTF is up with the weather? Everyone is commenting on how warm it is.
    AO's Weather Underground folk are forecasting 70 degrees today and then 74 for Tue. & Wed. for my location.

Is it global warming? Is the end of the word near? is the sky falling?

Well......a little research shows an average temperature of 68 with the record being set in 1959 of 82, which is much nicer than the record low of 20 degrees just four years earlier in 1954.
    So it looks like the weather is not really out of the normal range at all.

Ok! Ok! I do know that weather and climate change ( global warming ) are two different things.
    I can even buy into the claim that the climate is changing.
    We know that there have been cycles of warmer and colder global temperatures in the past. I see no reason that this should not be ongoing.
    Perhaps mankind is even a contributing factor on a small scale. Do we have the power to control it? No way!
    We could maybe bring about a nuclear winter ( or summer ), but that's not control.

While I am all for being good stewards of the earth. After all, it is only common sense to take care of one's home.
    Perhaps instead of looking to place blame, it might be wiser to just look at this as a natural occurrence and use our technology to do our best to predict and respond to the oncoming changes in the weather patterns.
    Some places that are marginally habitable now will not be so in the future, others that were not may become so. The types of crops that some areas can grow may change. I imagine a lot of things will change. But don't they always?
    I think that if we can just manage not to blow ourselves up, that we will weather the oncoming changes. (pun intended )

Just from a personal perspective, The local weather around my area seems to be moderating in that we don't get as many stretches of either very hot or very cold days in a row. It has been a number of years since the local ponds and lakes have frozen over.
    I am all for this because as I get older I can feel the cold in my bones more and more.
    If I get to chose between that low of 20 degrees and my pear tree blooming out of season.
    Well....hell! The damn squirrels and deer eat most of them anyway.

Any thoughts? What's it like in your neighborhood?

CPT
    ^ What he said...

Business as usual here in Kalifornia as the recent brush fires put several hundred years worth of "man made" CO2 into the atmosphere (and that our Moonbeam governor thinks he can reverse by restricting teeny tiny little drops in the bucket and pisses in the ocean like "banning" fire pits at the beaches, doubling gas taxes, etc., etc..). Good thing it won't mean a damn thing to the local climate or the world's...
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    Yesterday I had the first Hummingbirds of the year arrive.
    Today while driving around I shot this picture of snow on the palmetto trees. Notice the dogwood in full bloom on the right side of the photo.

Name:  YCSnow.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  182.1 KB

great posts, guys. My wife texted me this morning from work with the message, "snow day" because it was snowing. They talked about the possibility of some snow flakes yesterday and people acted like it was crazy. I came down here to the Charlotte area in August of 1969. I have told you all this a few times. In my sophomore year of 1970-71 we had a rainy winter just like we have had this year. I also noticed a pattern which stayed around for many years. It mostly snowed in February and March. One year it snowed just before Easter break. It would snow 4 to 8 inches and then be gone in 48 hours. Then in or around 74 or 75 we had a year with no winter at all. It was amazing. Then over the next several years we started to have more and more winter weather. It seemed to snow a bunch each winter compared to typical. I got 16 to 18 inches at my home in SE Charlotte around 87 or 88 time frame and it stayed around for weeks. Then is got warmer for a while and then it stabilized. While I am sure it is getting progressively warmer, I am reasonably certain that it would not change anything if we humans were not here. We are actually in a very low level time for CO2. I have listened to scientists claim that 600 to 800 ppm would be great. CO2 has been getting absorbed by the oceans at a pretty fast rate and one guy said that human CO2 emissions may be necessary to stop levels from dropping. At 150ppm all plant life dies. Think about that. I have no fear of climate change. I have great fear of those who claim we are causing it and as a result we must have our lives taken over by the government...they mean by them.
    I think watching changes from decade to decade is interesting. We had a kick ass draught around 2006...I think. Most of my plants died and we had to replace them. WE also had some really hot days. I was out running one afternoon in Columbia SC after work and it was hot as hell. I found out the next day that it had been the hottest day on record for Columbia. I think it hit 103. I had been in other towns in SC years earlier when it was over 100 for days. That was in 1982. We had also had a bad draught and farmers from the mid west were shipping down feed straw for our cattle farmers. The 2006 draught was said to be the worst ever but this is only because we had 4 times more people living in this area by then and the same water storage lakes. That was not brought up.
    Don't stress out. Just enjoy the weather you get. If you don't like it now just wait a day or two.

CSM
    Great post, Marty! I fully agree. Back when I was in high school, we had a snow day three Wednesday's in a row in March significant enough to cover the roads and close the schools. But, a few winters before that, we had a winter that was much warmer with no snow and no temperatures below 32 degrees. Man did not cause either of these extremes.

I am the only guy in a tie

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    At least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history: the earliest was over 2 billion years ago, and the most recent one began approximately 3 million years ago and continues today (yes, we live in an ice age!). Currently, we are in a warm interglacial that began about 11,000 years ago.
    God has been in charge forever. He's been playing with the earth for over 2 billion years. Obviously, He just doesn't seem to be able to get it right. It's time we turned that responsibility over to the democrats, led by AOC, to at last get it straightened out. Right? I mean no shit! Really.

Quote Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
    I shot this picture of snow on the palmetto trees.
    Are you sure or guessing?