Thread: New Deck Fountain Needed

New Deck Fountain Needed

About 15 years ago put a fountain on the porch. It has been fun for many reasons, but now have an itch to rebuild.

Here are early photos taken from a thread here back in 2012.
    Name:  PICT0001.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  140.3 KB

As you can see, sits in front of a large window. LED lights on it also serve to decorate the inside of my home. Lights attract some bugs which attract some frogs.

It ran at first, and for a few years, as a disappearing water fountain where the water goes into the ground. I filled it in with lava rock and it looked great. I don't like those now for a few reasons:

- having a small pond for tree frogs tadpoles is fun.
    - pumps need to be cleaned and getting to them needs to be easy not work.

For the last many years it has run more or less as photos above. I did lower the bowl a few inches, and of course plants change. The fountain is made of cast aluminum and now has a big hole rotted out (which looks OK). I drilled that thing out and ran a tube up the middle.

Today on the porch have been designing my replacement as this has been too much fun over the years to abandon. I can do it better now that I have experience.

Upgrades from experience gained will be to add self watering plant containers (have many) on the side for plants. I also will make it more solid looking with 2"X10" boards as a top border which can also hold pots or my fat ass if I want to sit down.

I have drawn up (freehand as I am not a real engineer) the project, and the wood will cost $140.

I am still looking as to how the water will fall into the pond. I could go again with a bird bath, or do WTF?
    The fountain "should" be a bird magnet, but it never has been. Birds drink there as do Raccoons, but not often. I don't know why. The cats drink there. Tree frogs love it, and I have seen some weird ones over the years.
    Moving water adds a lot for me, and as this outside a big window, it is kinda like inside the house as well.

Photos over the next month if there is any interest here on YC. I hope to have it flowing by November. I could built it tomorrow, but thinking and planning is fun too.

Anyone with ideas as to waterfall effects or fountain ideas, please help me think. Looking on Amazon there are thousands. The deal is that most you see use a too small pump which will work you to death keeping it going. They look great, but are more suited to inside. I have pumps, just need an idea that will make me happy.
    Maybe the magic in the next bottle of Urquell will help?
    I am the only guy in a tie

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Photos over the next month if there is any interest here on YC. I hope to have it flowing by November. I could built it tomorrow, but thinking and planning is fun too.

Anyone with ideas as to waterfall effects or fountain ideas, please help me think. Looking on Amazon there are thousands. The deal is that most you see use a too small pump which will work you to death keeping it going. They look great, but are more suited to inside. I have pumps, just need an idea that will make me happy.

As no one is interested in my silly crap, I guess WTF applies.

SMA
    A private "Galt's Gulch" in a Red state in the South
    I don't think it's a matter of no one being interested. I'm interested, and admire your ponds. I just am not knowledgeable enough about the subject to make any suggestions or criticisms. I would enjoy seeing photos of the project in the works, and the finished pond.

Name:  repdeck.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  199.4 KB

I am the only guy in a tie