Thread: Critter Fun

Critter Fun

Slow day so here so here is an fun photo I took a couple years back.

Name:  froggy.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  179.6 KB

The frog has observed that in addition to Hummingbirds, insects are drawn to the feeder. It is sort of like what they do at night on my porch or ponds where there is light drawing insects.
    I am the only guy in a tie

Bill can post the videos and the photo I sent a while ago. I had 2 baby deer born in my back yard today. Funny watching them try to stand and then walk. My yard is fenced and gates are closed so they should be sort of safe. I will be home most of the time for the rest of the week and guns are loaded incase a coyote gets in the yard. Deer have wandered into my yard before with a new born but a few weeks old and could run like hell. I could go out and grab these and they can't even outrun me. My ducks never came back this year. They left me flat. Fuck the ducks. I have deer now at least for a few weeks until they are safe to be running around with ma. I have to sneak some sort of extra food out there. There is also a young male deer with nubs where antlers are growing. He stands around the others like he is on guard. One of the new babies tried to follow him around and he kept nudging it with his head back towards it's mama. Maybe be the coolest thing ever in my yard.

That gripes my ass as I live in the woods and don't get a lot of deer. I plant deer grass and have a deer feeder. I put put salt blocks. My neighbors hate deer as they might eat a plant they got from Home Depot.

I would call Marty 'blessed', but why him and not me?

I had to cut this to Kbs to post here but sent the mega back to Marty for printing.
    No videos arrived, but I aint doing that. Get a utube account and then they are easy to post here.

You are now my hero. Stand guard. Don't put out dried corn. That kills deer.

Name:  ,marty799.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  112.8 KB

Very nice pic of deer. I live in an old subdivision where the houses are too close together. However we have deer come through the yard to eat from apple trees in the neighbors yard. We also have a ground hog that appears every evening and many squirrels and rabbits running around. Also have birds too, but not the quality at A O's place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    Also have birds too, but not the quality at A O's place.
    You have exactly the same birds I do.

We live in an older subdivision that is on the back end of a huge golf course in an area called Raintree in Charlotte. Our subdivision was built in the early 80s on an old farm so we have deer around here every day. The babies were born in the yard yesterday. We have lots of plants that they can eat. My wife gets ticked off as deer eat all of her flowers and berries and figs. I always keep my gates closed because deer wander in with babies in the spring and the babies can't figure out how to get back out of the yard for a day or so. Mom jumps over the fence like it isn't there. I hope these will stay here for a few days as the babies can't out run me. They would not make it across the street. If they get out in a few days and the deer stay in the neighborhood they will be safe as there are a few miles of golf courses. If they cross the street behind my house they will die. Cars speed by. The police do a pretty good job much of the year keeping speed down. for a few years they would post cars near the school and they could give out tickets as fast as they could write one and get back in the car. Speed limit is 35 and that is a safe limit. Lots of kids and a school and then two shopping centers all within less than a mile.

The birds are draining my feeders every few days. I have 4 feeders and only one will let squirrels eat much of the food. the feeder I bought at the wild bird store near here gets most of the attention. I will buy another one of those. Those have a clear shield around the outside so water can't get the food wet. Learned a good lesson about not buying cheap feeders. Cheap feeders look like crap and get torn up.

Bill,
    I read not to feed deer corn and the info surprised me. I think you can get deer pellets or some other type grain. I think they will be gone as soon as the little ones can run. It was fun yesterday watching them stand up and wobble around.

Well the baby now runs all around the yard. We opened one of the gates but it won't leave. A few days ago there were 6 adult deer in our yard plus the fawn. We kept the gate closed for a few weeks as we did not think the fawn could run across the street and not get killed. Looks like it can run now. Hope they hang around but like last years ducks they will eventually abandon the safety of our yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    Well the baby now runs all around the yard. We opened one of the gates but it won't leave. A few days ago there were 6 adult deer in our yard plus the fawn. We kept the gate closed for a few weeks as we did not think the fawn could run across the street and not get killed. Looks like it can run now. Hope they hang around but like last years ducks they will eventually abandon the safety of our yard.
    That makes me extremely jealous.

I scared the baby our of the back yard when I mowed part of the yard. We left the gate open part of the way so it is not trapped. It ran out of the gate. My wife was a bit upset but figured it was time for it to be free. Well it came back and it still sleeps in the same places. I guess it will hang around for a while until it figures out that there is a big world out there. Now when it runs around the yard it looks like a pony running around a big field. Fun to watch.