Thread: Clemson vs aggies

Clemson vs aggies

One can look back a few years here on YardCrap and see I have been sorta a fan as like Clemson, T-A&M slides toward Military.
    When I started Clemson it was named 'Clemson Agriculture and Military'. They shaved the head of all us incoming and gave us a M-1 rifle. Drill and ROTC classes were mandatory for all. I served in the Army as an officer.

T-A&M is rich with Texas oil $$. They used a drop of it to buy Jimbo from FS. Money is no object. FS was balking some at his demands, but to T-A&M, it is a drop in the oil bucket. They wanted a winner and bought one. Most schools don't have that type money laying around. I think it was money well spent.

Jimbo is a great coach. He is not on the level of his mentor Bowden, but excellent. He must have complete control over the system including the local police force. Unlike places like Georgia who also deals in rowdy players, his guys cannot be arrested. That is not allowed.
    Jimbo likes old style football and wants to run. To that end he uses lots of huge tight ends and full backs. Understanding and stopping that are different things.

Coming to T-A&M where Sumlin messed up, Jimbo found lots of talent left over as it is Texas. He got a few excellent big Jr college guys in to help make it into his style. He needs more time to get things his way, but this team is very good, not to mention the upgrade in coaching.
    Last week they racked up 503 yards rushing. Even against sisters of the poor, that is impressive. The new QB had an impressive outing also passing with 184 and a few TDs. The QB is far from the weak link and will not be the cause of a loss.

T-A&M fans know Jimbo needs a couple years to change over from the Sumlin mess, but dang - maybe not?

Jimbo knows Clemson better than any opposing coach. The reverse is that Clemson knows him.

The big deal according to the web is the huge home field advantage.
    I admit T-A&M has one better than most. They also have lots of talent which means more to me. I think the "big stage" environment means less to a team like Clemson who sees it often. That is not to say it is not very important and worth a few points. I don't believe our team will be over whelmed.

I am naturally worried and will be near suicide as kick off approaches.

Putting that aside, can T-A&M post over 500 yards rushing this week? I think not.
    Can they post 184 yards passing -> maybe, but at the expense of their ground game as they will need more than 25 passes.

The "real" 2018 Clemson team and the "real" 2018 T-A&M is still unknown. The scrimmage games last week were fun but ?

Last season Clemson had an incredible "D". Everything suggests it will be better in 2018.
    Last year Clemson had an OK "O". Everything suggests it will be better in 2018.

The biggest difference few mention is the Clemson depth. When a player (any player including QB) comes out, the replacement is off the chart ready.
    Playing with Clemson for 4 quarters will be harder this year.

The game was great, but stressful on me. I prefer games where Clemson is ahead all the way by 40.

I am not sure what I learned.
    Apparently the tigers game plan was to shut down the running game which they did. As the QB is a scrambler, they played zone all game.

They did a damned poor job of zone. The secondary did not play close and the QB hit 23/40 for 430 yards and 3 TDs. The QB was just excellent (had a QBR or 83), but in truth he was not throwing in coverage. His receivers were wide ass open. Even my old ass could have hauled in a few. Why our great coach Venerables did not tighten if up is why he gets a couple million I suppose. Our secondary is young and maybe the weakest team link, but they have talent. Certainly by half we should have been doing some man on man or even double coverage sometimes. Instead, we gave then the 10 yard passes all game.

My personal prediction was 28-17. I believed it would be low scoring, but this was just a mess. 28-26 with the game on the line just seconds from the end was something I (nor Vegas) did not see as possible.

The Offense was about what I thought, but I did think 200 yards rushing would be there every game. Instead we got just 115 with 54 of it coming from the QB.
    The problem was the "O" line was completely inefficient protecting the QB and opening up a lane for the RBs.

The secondary did a piss poor job, but not their fault as they played as assigned. This was piss poor coaching that did not adjust during the game.

The "O" line was piss poor and not effective. I can't explain that. I am baffled.

The "D" line players were illegally, and completely held on every play, and it was never called. As the QB was efficient and the receivers wide open at all times, the ball was gone quickly for ten yards.

So how did the Tigers manage to win?
    They did it not as a team, but as individuals. Basically they fought on and won in spite of the coaches.

T A&M was able to keep the ball. We had like 60 plays and they had a thousand. Jimbo out coached us.

Winning or loosing did not mean much as it was not a conference game.
    At the end of the day the Tigers pulled it out. Actually what happened was few great players held on long enough not to loose.

CPT
    Aren't the Aggies UNRATED??

Amazing how "partisanship" can warp expectations...
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    Aren't the Aggies UNRATED??

Amazing how "partisanship" can warp expectations...

As to "UNRATED" see my thread on polls and rankings!
    http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.p...arly-Poll-Rant

Partisanship as to CFB, and lucky for you -> friends, is what I am. That defines who I am.
    If nothing else, I am loyal. If one can't count on me to be loyal, then I destroy myself. I remain a kid of the 50's with those values. I attack even the Pope (gently of course). I attack my friends (gently of course). I never walk even one step away from a friend as that would destroy me. I am loyal to a fault.
    Call me for help, and I am on the way even if (and especially if) you are in the wrong. I understand friends make mistakes. I know I do.

Back to CFB. I am proudly partisan. I am not a band wagon fan. I am a fan of CFB and especially my Tigers.

I went to my first game at Clemson when I was about 12. I have been a Tiger Fan since that day. I am not a band wagon fan. Over my years, they have been up and down, and that will happen again. These Dabo years have been good. I have the Clemson history to appreciate and enjoy these years. More than anyone, I know Clemson is not "Blue Blood" like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, etc. I know the $$ difference and the history they earned. To be playing these teams now, and seen as a threat, is like being in a wonderland for a "partisan" fan like me.
    "WE" (yep "WE") may take a beating this year and other years.
    My "partisanship" will never waver.

Being a fan of OHS for 50 years is easy. Being a Tiger fan for 50 years --> also easy. It is off the chart easy now with an unabashed Christian coach.
    I aint much of a Christian, sadly I know that.
    I don't just love Clemson, but also the kids who choose to come here as it is not the best choice for many. I know kids here will mess up from time to time, but the program is run rock solid now from the top down as to character . Dabo sets a fine standard on and off the field. I have never been more proud to be a fan of the Tiger team. This was all started by Coach Bowden, and I believe success on the field and in other ways will occur into the future.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    The game was great, but stressful on me. I prefer games where Clemson is ahead all the way by 40.
    Early season games like this are always dangerous. Especially this one with Jimbo taking over the program and everybody was super pumped and playing out of their mind. Make no mistake, Clemson has a great team and everyone involved will likely benefit from this close call!

I am an idiot.

Dabo just came out saying Hyatt, Achrum, and Pollard played well as opposed to the rest of the team. That is the "O" line which I believe were crap.
    Dabo gets millions, and I get cold beer if I buy that for me.

"Those guys are graded as winners". according to Dabo.

I did not see that.
    The heroes in my opinion were the secondary who where not allowed to play, but still did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    Early season games like this are always dangerous. Especially this one with Jimbo taking over the program and everybody was super pumped and playing out of their mind. Make no mistake, Clemson has a great team and everyone involved will likely benefit from this close call!
    Now that I have calmed down, can see your point.
    Also, I am a hopeless homer (paritsan for yall in California) and a born optimist. I am recovered.

Maybe the deal was we played a good game and just got kicked by a team playing better? T A&M played off the chart. Maybe that was/is just who they are. They did the same in week 1. If that is the case, teams in the SEC will get a real game from them this season. This shows what I meant in my "poll rant" thread. These guys win week one 59-7 and then out play the #2Team loosing in the last second. Yet they are not ranked in the top 25? Polls this time of year are crap.
    Looking at the A&M schedule looks like at least 8 regular season wins. Take down LSU in the last game and they have 9. That aint bad when your 3 losses are all to teams ranked top 5.

I see the Power Rangers knocked the QB down 18 times. That is very good, but on that night, not enough. The deal was the guy (Mond) throws best while in full flight. As all his receivers were always open, the big boys had less chance to have an impact.

In week one their RB had 271 yards. This week he was held to 31 and the entire team to 71, so thanks Power Rangers.
    pra.jpg

On a fun note, called the Bride back telling her the game waas not over and their would be an onside kick hoping for aa fumble or recovery.
    I told her that instead of the normal huge guys, guys like recievers and running backs would be on the front line -- guys with good hands. Their orders would be not to pick up the ball, but to fall on it.

I guess Texas did not know and kicked the ball to Renfro. That kid has the best hands ever seen at Clemson. I was shocked !!
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau