Thread: GEORGIA VS. CLEMSON

GEORGIA VS. CLEMSON

I wish Georgia would quit scheduling these easy games to start the year!

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/...son-in-atlanta

I am too damned old to have any hope of being alive to make it to the game.
    If I am, will get us tickets if you are up for it.
    I have often been to games in the old Atlanta site, but not yet to the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Chick-fil-A does a great job! No Bowl type games I have been to match what they do.

I predict (and you can quote me) TIGERS 32, puppies 12.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I am too damned old to have any hope of being alive to make it to the game.
    If I am, will get us tickets if you are up for it.
    I am in but we may both be too old to drive! Maybe we could get Mike to drive for us!

Dawgs 42, kitties 24

It looks less likely as the season plays on that the TIGERS and dogs will meet this year in the FF. I still hope, but?

Alabama might have the best and most complete team they have fielded in years!
    Today Tugboat went 8/8 and Hurts entered the game, so he is not red shirting. That is incredible news for Alabama.

That can't be good for Georgia making it in. Georgia is playing great and is better than last season, but can two SEC teams get in this year? At this point, I say no.

Clemson is struggling, winning but struggling. On top of that senior team leader Bryant abandons the team. That is a really big deal. His replacement is injured already, maybe a concussion?
    The Clemson schedule started out great, but teams on it are loosing, so at end of year the SOS might not be good even if Clemson still manages to win the ACC. It looks to me right now that an ACC team getting in would need to be undefeated which is a rare occurrence in CFB.

Will Georgia get in?
    Will Clemson get in?

This is a fun year, so glad the FF is just 4 teams as every game has more has meaning.

They are both still alive but the season is not half over yet. I see lots of teams with good athletes that can rise up and pull major upsets. It is going to be very unpredictable all season long.

- - - Updated - - -

I do like what Georgia is doing with their quarterbacks. Both are playing with Fromm number one but Fields comes in for a change of pace. I think they will continue to develop this strategy.

Is there a limit how much crap we can ramble on about? As Charles Aznavour sings Cabaret Songs and the beer encourages me ~ I am happy on the porch.

==========================

After 5 games, there is more than hopes and beliefs to look at.

Clemson was anointed in preseason to be a contender as was Georgia.
    Being homers, maybe we were too eager to believe the teams were special enough to steam roll through the season.

"Steam roll" not been the case for Clemson. Using more sober hindsight, it is easy to see there would be problems. The secondary was young and the "O" line was the same as last year. The QB was the same. 2017 was a great year, but moving the ball and scoring points was a problem as the passing game was mostly short tosses or lateral passes with yards gained "after" the catch.

In 2018 the same team showed. That team was/is good enough to again make the Final Four, but not really great. No team is great on day one. That must be earned on the field.

Clemson rolled Furman and GaSo, but Texas A&M gave us all we could handle. The Tigers took Georgia Tech apart.

Starting week 5 our great QB and team leader from 2017 decided to move on with out us. Us fans hated that, but most were all in with the new guy - Lawrence. Make no mistake, Bryant could take us to the Final Four this year as he did it last year. Loosing him was a low point as a fan or a player. The team was down and fans were down.

This week a team that kicked us last year came to win. Syracuse is not a joke. I can see them not loosing again this year.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...yracuse-orange

Before the game Dabo suspended two top players for teams rules.
    Our 18 year old QB took the field. Balls were uncharacteristic dropped. Tackles were missed. Penalties took a toll. The new QB struggled. As the half neared, my Tigers were down 16-7, and in reality Syracuse had complete control of the game. These guys are not a joke.

Then Lawrence was knocked out of the game.

The fans did not give up. This aint Columbia. Fans took it up a notch.
    The next guy up just months ago was the 5th string guy. Redshirt freshman Brice entered with just 8 snaps experience done in mop up duty. All who read my crap here know I was OK with that. I have often said I believe him to be special.

Could Lawrence return after the half - nope.

During half time the team the team rallied, as did the fans.
    Coach Dabo went back to the ghost times of Danny Ford and decided to use muscle to run the ball. (Coach Ford must have been going crazy.)

Brice made a few incredible throws including one now in 'Tiger Lore' as on 4th down and six "for the game" with 2:50 to go, nailed a 20-yard pass to Higgins.
    “It’s amazing what you can do,” Brice said, “when people come up to you and say they believe in you.”

Now in 'Tiger Lore' is 4th down and six "for the game" with 2:50 to go. This play would decide if the Tigers would remain in the FF hunt.
    Under all that pressure Brice nailed a perfect 20-yard pass to Higgins.

“No way was I giving the ball back to (Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey) in that situation," Dabo said. "We were either going to win it or lose it right there. We still had a couple timeouts, but I’m not going to volunteer to give him the ball.”

The fans got louder as the game played (if that is possible). They never gave up. The Clemson players never gave up.

The "D" closed the door after the half.
    The "O" line finally stepped up to play after weeks of going missing.
    Like I said back in the Summer, this year the Tigers will run the ball.
    Feaster, Choice, and Etienne were killing it in the 2nd half. It might not be the Georgia "elite stable", but it aint bad.
    brice.jpg

The media is lowering our rank and expectations for us after this game.
    Maybe as the season began, I was too much a homer.
    After watching the team this weekend, I am more "IN" than ever.
    These guys are special. I am positive they will never quit playing or believing, so why should I? This is a GREAT TEAM. Can TIGERS make it back to the FF? That will be hard this year, but we aint done yet.
    This was the game where the team took a stand and gained an identity.
    The media might see it differently.

=============

OK, Tony tell us as to Georgia after 5 games. I believe Georgia is playing at the level of #2 just a shade behind Alabama which aint bad. I don't believe Clemson (or anyone) could take yall this week, but we won't meet for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

=============

OK, Tony tell us as to Georgia after 5 games. I believe Georgia is playing at the level of #2 just a shade behind Alabama which aint bad. I don't believe Clemson (or anyone) could take yall this week, but we won't meet for weeks.
    I disagree with you on how they are playing. They are winning but they have been making mistakes and at times giving up too much on the ground. They need to clean things up before they have to travel to Baton Rouge in 2 weeks. They are showing some good signs but with their upcoming schedule, they will have to have everything ironed out. They have 4 ranked SEC foes coming up that will challenge them. LSU, Auburn, Kentucky and Florida!

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing! Where is my backup man Mike! Bill, I hope you have not made him mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post

One more thing! Where is my backup man Mike! Bill, I hope you have not made him mad!
    Maybe you made him mad?

I happen to know he is not happy but will be improving quickly after tommorrow.

SSG
    I got a magical healing bear today in the mail. It's beginning to work, but will have to work overtime come this Thursday. No one has made me mad. I'm mad at myself. I will go to Atlanta with you guys, but you probably don't want me driving. I drive better on two lane roads and specialize on dirt roads. When I go to Atlanta, it's like Barney Fife going to Raleigh. UGA has been tuning up for the real games coming up. Clemson is magical. Alabama is Alabama. Who knows?