Thread: Cat Hate

Cat Hate

The love of my life - Rosey had to go on without me.

I now have 4 cats who just showed up.
    What type people dump out a cat?

No one wants cats as they are ?
    Please do not read this and judge me. I am Ok with cats, just don't want one.
    Cats have been forced on me. I am not an "old cat woman/guy".
    The cats here demand constant attention. One would be too many, 4 is disaster. All these go in and out freely and have acres to roam in.
    I put in a "cat doorbell" because - well I don't know!

Their personalities are very different, almost to the point of being different critters. Cats might be aliens in disguise checking us out.
    The thing they have in common is demands on me 24/7. They pretend to love me, but I had a dog and know the difference.

'Percy' is King. He loves everyone. He is slim, quick, and 17 pounds. I know the weights as they need visits to the vet for shots, etc. My vet bill greatly exceeds my personal health bill. It is cheaper to find a new cat than to take one to the vet.
    If you visit, Percy will race out to greet you. You will never see the other cats. Percy is the one who visits neighbors. I have had an on going campaign for years using things like Christmas, birthdays, and new neighbor gifts "from" Percy so they will be nice to him. They all are. They all know Percy and know how upset I can get over him.

'Percy' has a collar tracker ($400) I put on him in the afternoon. I hunt him down EVERY night for fear of Coyotes. Percy sees it as making me walk and helping my health. He sleeps near me at night and is positive he has control me.
    The others do not leave the yard as much, but visiting "all" is what Percy must do. I try to adjust and protect him as best I can.
    I hate cats.

'Prancy' arrived with Percy. She is small around 7 pounds. She is demanding! The others (except for her sweetheart Percy) fear her. She is the only one who likes to sit on my lap as I watch TV, and that gets old. She is suspicious and goes berserk if any other than her gets brushed. Cats need a lot of brushing to avoid hair balls. Dogs are smart enough not to eat their own hair.

'Crazy' showed up after dark as a 1 pound kitten on the coldest night seen here in my 18 years. Who ever put him out in that weather should be hanged. He was starving and would not have made it through that night. Percy and Prancy were clawing at the door or I would not have noticed. I was OK with him dying out there in the cold, but not K. I brought him in, and my Bride promised to find him a home as I surely could not take on another cat. Women are soft! They also lie.

His new home turned out to be my home. He is now the biggest cat, but still a baby at heart. He checks in a million times a day to, insure he still has a home. He believes his best friend is me. He requires a lot of attention. He and Percy hook up and roll around the floor like huge sumo wrestlers bouncing off the walls. They are best buddies.

"The Devil" is new and K will find him a new home soon?
    He is the youngest and more feral. K said if I could catch him she would do the rest. I did, and so far she has not. He will bite and hit you with claws in a second. The other cats hate him and their goal is to kill him. This has only been going on for several months as K decides.
    He often jumps in bed and hunkers down beside my face to sleep and feel safe from the other cats, and I am afraid to move. He trusts me, but I don't trust him. He believes I am his true friend. He does not know I hate cats.
    He is a very good looking cat if that is a "thing".

No matter as soon K will "place" all the cats and I can get me a dog.
    I want a big one that kills cats.

I am old and ready for the sweet sleep of death.
    - but NOOO!!!--
    Now I have to get up every day to see to the cats and make sure they are happy.
    If I die, no one would take these assholes in, so I am stuck in this World until,they pass on.
    How long do cats live?
    I am the only guy in a tie

CPT
    Used to be a cat agnostic. Now I like them (loving a cat is harder than a dog as cat's like you, but rarely go beyond that..) and would be very sad for a while if our current cat (Marmalade) ever got eaten by a coyote here (one cat near by was beheaded and half eaten by coyote last week, which is worse then totally eaten/gone 'cause at least then you can imagine that the cat just 'moved on' but when you see half a corpse, you know what the poor thing faced).

So for that reason, Marm's is an indoor cat that we only let out into the backyard for supervised romps once or twice per day. I don't believe in this but daughter - her owner - insists on this. The last two cats we had were strays who adopted us and were very street savvy and knew to stay up high at night and avoid the coyotes. Meow-meow started burrowing in the blankets we put out for her one cold winter about 15 years ago and was a very ferocious part large Siamese fighter who probably could have defended against one coyote but they hunt in two's and three's out here and even take down some dogs! My larger hunting dog Apollo "encountered" three of them at local open field park where I let him roam free there. They all ended up in a hollow about 50 yards from me. I heard a lot of howling and yipping from there and then one coyote emerged and limped away and then the other two took off in opposite directions. Apollo had only two small teeth puncture wounds on two of his legs but other than that was unharmed. Having just had his rabbis shot, I just treated the small wounds with peroxide and he was fine. Keep him leashed there now, 'cause I don't want any other coyote's hurt... Love that dog; he'd die protecting us at home but has a heart of gold as well. Cat's are nice, but they would just sit by cleaning themselves and watch your family get slaughtered by MS-13; Apollo would tear them apart with his strong jaws and teeth to his dying breath. You just have to love them for that and vow to do as much for them as you can when it's "their time"!
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

I have always liked animals, period. I had a cat 45 years ago and she had to go because of my wife at the time. Should have kept the cat. My wife now of 15 years had 2 when I met her and they were her cats. The female ended up liking me because I gave here food all the time while she was on a diet. She was a fat cat. The male cat lived in fear of me and I never knew why. They died years ago and 5 years ago we got another cat. She was a holy terror as a kitten. Now she is a fairly nice cat and greets me at the door every time I come home. We got another kitten 2 years ago and the female hid for 2 weeks hoping the kitten would leave or die. She plays with him some but mostly wants him to leave or die. Now my male cat, booger, is very different. He is sort of like a dog. He comes when called and plays with everything. He is mostly attached to my wife as she is home all the time and I am gone much of the time for work. Right now he is sleeping in a shoe box next to my chair. I got some shoes in the mail yesterday and put the box on the floor and he took it over. He is very friendly but does not like most strangers but no one comes here so he is fine. My female cat growls at the door bell. These cats never leave the house. If one got out while I was here my wife would never forgive me if anything happened to one of them. I will never have another dog unless I move out into the country. I had dogs for years when my kids were small and now 4 of my kids have dogs and my youngest daughter has a dog and a cat. If we had a dog it would be mine and I would have to care for it. That would be ok if I were home all the time but I am usually gone 3 or 4 days a week and my wife will not walk a dog. My yard is fenced in but I refuse to clean up dog crap. All the dogs I had were very protective. My english shepherd who was about 50 pounds would watch over my kids and no one would come in my yard who did not belong. A neighbors dog which was a lab hated other dogs and would attack them. He made the mistake of charging my little dog and I had to literally save his life. It was like he charged into a pack of badgers. I loved that little dog. She was great and was by far the smartest dog I have ever seen. If I ever get another dog it will probably be another english shepherd. They were bred to heard cattle and sheep. Watching a little 50 pound dog chase a bull through a fence is pretty funny. Cattle had fear and she didn't. My cats would run and hide at the first sign of danger and leave us on our own. Cats are sort of like millenials and dogs are like WW2 generation people and some of the really early baby boomers. Cats believe they are entitled while dogs are always grateful.

CPT
    Good summary, Marty, re "dogs vs. cats". As to "My yard is fenced in but I refuse to clean up dog crap.", I got real "lucky" with our current dog Apollo: he will NOT poop in "his house" and only when I walk him or at a dog park! He'll actually store it up if I miss one of his twice daily walks and just poop twice as much on his next walk. Never have any poop to clean up in the back yard like with our last dog (I'd just scoop it up with a shovel and fling it into the garden area, but still a real nusance!). Once or twice - only! - he has (pooped in the back yard) if for whatever reason he just couldn't hold it or maybe it was raining and he missed two walks in a row, but that's extremely rare and in general he just won't crap where he lives! Smart dog!
    Ode to 2020 (sung to the tune of "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting") - ELG:
    "Everybody was Kung Flu fighting
    This virus panic struck like lightening
    Although the future seemed too frightening
    (Seemed too frightening)
    It's the book of your life that you should have been writing
    (Life that you should have been writing)"

I wish that made me feel better. I would like to get another dog when I retire. I started last night to work on my wife to move out away from town and have some room for the critters to roam. I know I can train a dog to crap in a specific area as I have done that before. Bill has a great location on a lake. I have to work on that. A great idea would be a cabin in the foothills on a lake. Cool in summer but not too cold in the winter.

CSM
    I like Dogs and Cats but I am a dog person. Most but not all people are one or the other.

As far as cats, I love kittens. It is very entertaining to watch them play with almost anything. As they get older they calm down and get more independent. When you leave your cat, most don't seem to miss you while you are gone. When you come home, they do not seem excited to see you. They usually just look and see that it's you and then lay back down without excitement. Sometimes they might come over and rub against your legs but that is about it. It just depends on what kind of mood that they are in. Some are more loving than others but it just depends on their personality.

But dogs are much different. You are their life! They want to be with you all the time! If you leave, they are very sad until you return. When you do return they show genuine excitement running in circles, jumping up and down, happy as can be! They are very loyal to their owners and serve as a good alarm when someone comes onto your property.

I am glad that there are Cat people and Dog people! All dogs and cats deserve to be well cared for.

CSM
    Hmm... Now I know why I am a Dog Person.

http://time.com/8293/its-true-libera...servatives-do/

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I like Dogs and Cats but I am a dog person. Most but not all people are one or the other.
    Not me.

My cats like me. They do like to see me arrive. Even on the trail I am often attacked from nowhere. I must be a poor woodsman as I never see them until they hit me.

They follow me around, they sit on the porch and on the dock with me.
    Percy tells (demands) me when to go to bed and when to get up. He is relentless as to that and must be obeyed.

They like when I work in the yard as they believe we are hunting together. They love to walk up the road with me to hunt down Percy who roams beyond the yard as he visits friends. No problem as once Percy is collected, they all follow us back to the house. They like after dark hunting.

In Winter they sit on my lap as in Summer that is too much heat for either of us.
    If anyone visits, they all hide except for Percy.

Four fat cats sprawled in a pack in the yard is kinda imitating. Three are over 15 pounds close to 20 and only Prancy the female is small. They go after anything that moves as long as it smaller than them and is not a toad (tastes bad). That includes snakes, lizards, and anything flying or crawling. I once had many fun lizards and chipmunks, but fewer now. Mice and voles can't survive here. Even crickets and grasshoppers have a hard time. Squirrels are less now and I hate that. None have been caught, they just don't like cats. My cats ignore possums and coons which are common. I no longer have any rabbits. They are no threat to Turkeys or Geese, or even ducks, but they don't nest here now.

Some say I go over board feeding the birds, but I disagree. Surprisingly, the cats have had very little effect. They are very interested in birds, but rarely have they caught one. I suspect they have caused some of my ground birds to nest farther away. Foxes, coons, squirrels, snakes, chipmunks, possums, etc raid bird nests as do other birds. It is amazing any birds survive. I don't think my cats have had much effect. Killing off the snakes and etc may be actually be an advantage.

Foxes do well around here, I see them often. Foxes hunt to survive unlike my fat cats who hunt only for fun. Ferrel cats might be a danger to critters, but my fat cats - not so much. To date the foxes don't bother the cats, but they are nocturnal and the cats sleep inside. I don't see them as much threat due to the size of the cats.

Cats hunt mostly on sight and hearing. They don't hunt in a pack, but are quick to join the fun if another discovers something. If they happen to catch a mouse or something, they tend to bring it to to me. I have rescued many chipmunks and lizards that were rushed to me unharmed. My dogs hunted with smell. It was funny sometimes as a rabbit would dart from the road ahead as we walked, and my dog would not see it. Rosey had her nose and concentration glued to the ground. When we got to that spot, her wonderful howl erupted and she was off on the trail. My cats would have been on long before.

My cats like to play inside at night with each other and the toys. Mine have every toy, and I am always in search of something that might amuse them. My cats are amused by different things. What one goes wild over, another will ignore. It is just odd what this or that one will see as fun.
    Racing and chasing each other room to room is always fun as is lying in wait. They scream and yell like murder is occurring, but - nope, nothing but fun is afoot.

Cats are not as thrilled with me as my dogs were, but I have kept fish and plants for over 50 years, so I am used to less demonstrative pets.
    They love me. They are loyal. I brush them, and they clean me with their sand paper tongue.
    I bring them food and they bring me voles.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gass View Post
    I refuse to clean up dog crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    he will NOT poop in "his house"
    My two main dogs here were Rosey and Tubby. Neither crapped in the house.
    They were not house dogs as they came and went freely. My place is "natural", no lawn. I have no idea where they crapped, but fertilizer is good anywhere it falls.

The cats crap in and out. I don't know who does what as the cats are K's. She has two litter boxes and it is not a problem for her.

With the first cats, got her this:
    Name:  81qLz317CWL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  64.8 KB
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is amazing and still works.

CSM
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Not me.

My cats like me. They do like to see me arrive. Even on the trail I am often attacked from nowhere. I must be a poor woodsman as I never see them until they hit me.
    You are not a dog person or a cat person. You are a Critter person! For the most part, if a critter shows up, you will care for it. Unless it is a snake or Brown-headed Cow Bird!

Registered Users
    As I wright this I am heart broken. I have always been a dog person. To be honest I never even understood why anyone would love cats. That all changed a few months ago. A stray kitten showed up at my door. Peaking in the front door window. Running away when approached. I forbid my wife and kids from feeding her as I knew she would never leave if we did. It was I that finally succumbed and fed her. I could not help it. Her stare put me in somewhat of a trance. And I could not bare to think of her going hungry. I started to crack the door after I fed her and eventually she found her way in. After feeling comfortable she would come close so she could be petted. After several times of doing this she would even climb on my lap and lay. When I got up to walk she would do the same. Almost tripping me as she walked between my legs. This went on for several weeks. When she wanted in she would peer through the window. When she wanted back outside she would let us know. I fed her in the morning and at night. We even bought treats for her. She quickly became part of our Family.

Right before I was to run the Kiawah Island Marathon I saw where neighbors had posted sightings of coyotes roaming the neighborhood. It terrified me of the thought of my kitten being attacked by coyotes. We let her in that night but eventually she wanted out as she was a wild cat. So we let her out thinking she would stay close to the house. It would be the last time I would ever see her. The next morning I left her food out in the garage as I normally did and left for Kiawah. When I came back after the the marathon excited to tell her of my running adventures she was nowhere to be found. The cat food I left before my trip was still there. My kitten was nowhere to be found. It has been several weeks now and I have finally accepted that my kitten is never coming back. I wish I would have not let her out that night knowing the dangers that lurked in my woods. I tell myself that another Family has taken her in. But I know that is not true. I sit now with my shotgun waiting for the days that coyotes will be brave enough to step foot on my land so that I can get my vengeance!

As I have brought up before, we have two cats. The older and much larger is a long haired grey and the younger male is a short hair grey and we think he may be part siamese due to his face and the noise he makes. The older cat comes to the door every time I come in and follows me around and sits up while I scratch her head. when she is awake she usually sits near me and I scratch her a lot. The younger cat follows my wife around every where she goes and stays where she is. If she is in the kitchen cooking or doing something then that is where he is. He use to chase the other cat around the house and annoy her. Now she has him scared. She finally started to hold her ground and realized that she was much stronger that he is and she sometimes has him cornered. They have proven to be really good pets. I am gone a lot and they are good company for my wife. My wife is basically anti social and the cats are more her cup of tea. If I were not around my wife would have no human contact outside of work and going to the store. I think my wife is kinda like the cats.
    I always had dogs and sometime two or three at a time. I had an English Shepherd for many years and I let here have puppies twice and then no more. It was fun having all the little critters running around. As a breed they are very smart and the pups were fun to play with and they would herd each other around naturally. I doubt I will get another dog living where I live. My wife and I also cannot agree on a breed. If I lived on a lake I would either have a Gordon setter or a Chesapeake Bay retriever. Otherwise maybe another English Shepherd. Since I will probably die in this house there will most likely be no more dogs.