Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Final Four Contest

I did not see the ___#!@%& Rule change! Who changes the rules after the picking starts?

Anyway, the above is my unofficial pick! Now, I will have to buy my own __!@#$ Birdhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Presley View Post
    I did not see the ___#!@%& Rule change! Who changes the rules after the picking starts?

Anyway, the above is my unofficial pick! Now, I will have to buy my own __!@#$ Birdhouse!
    I can't believe you posted that!
    This was announced on Aug 8th and has been mentioned other times since in bold, large letters. Obviously the deadline could not be on Halloween this year after the FFC said they would start on Oct 30 this year.
    Deadlines are fair and must be enforced. If not, TOAD will still be changing in December.

http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post31531

This seems to be the final list.
    Speak up if it is wrong.

elgrau
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Ohio State
    Georgia

Pixley
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma

Marty
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Notre Dame
    Georgia

TOAD
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Notre Dame
    Michigan

AO
    CLEMSON
    Alabama
    Notre Dame
    Ohio State

Robert
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Notre Dame
    Oklahoma

Mike
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Clemson
    Ohio State

Tony
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Georgia
    Michigan

Some fun facts:

The only team to make the list and be unranked at season's end was TAM who lost 3 of the last 4 games.

Auburn, LSU, and Notre Dame are teams to start in the committee's top four, but wind up not even making a New Year's Six bowl.

The team that made the longest climb from first committee ranking to final was Ohio State, which started 16th in 2014 and made the semifinals and won the championship.

In 2014 the previous champ Florida State was still unbeaten but was ranked behind one loss Oregon. Later they slid to #4 behind 3 one loss teams. In the semi-final, FS lost to Oregon.

Of the 16 teams the committee ranked in the top four of its initial rankings from 2014-17, only half made the playoff.

This all means that no matter how it goes tonight, lots of football left to play. I like that in the past they have been brave, hope that is the same this year with 6 new members.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    I can't believe you posted that!
    This was announced on Aug 8th and has been mentioned other times since in bold, large letters. Obviously the deadline could not be on Halloween this year after the FFC said they would start on Oct 30 this year.
    Deadlines are fair and must be enforced. If not, TOAD will still be changing in December.

http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post31531
    I just don't pay close attention sometimes. It is probably age-related.

At first glance it appears to me the two YC prize leaders are:
    Marty - 5
    Robert - 5

I do understand that the FF is like "Santa", we don't always get what we want.

1. Alabama (8-0)
    2. Clemson (8-0)
    3. Louisiana State (7-1)
    4. Notre Dame (8-0)
    5. Michigan (7-1)
    6. Georgia (7-1)
    7. Oklahoma (7-1)
    8. Washington State (7-1)
    9. Kentucky (7-1)
    10. Ohio State (7-1)
    11. Florida (6-2)
    12. Central Florida (7-0)
    13. West Virginia (6-1)

I wanted LSU #1 and Alabama last or #5 due to play on the field, but ??
    It seems the new FF has more ear towards what TV $ wants.

No YC has commented?

Was Robert hoping UNC would get a pass like they always do in NCAA courts?
    Did Ed believe OHS would be in because they are OHS?
    Was Marty hoping Belmont Abbey could make the cut with no team?
    Did Georgia fans really believe they would be top four?
    Did Pixley sit up hoping the committee would rank VT due to hope for 2019?

Is that why no one is posting?
    Are all tiny hearts broken in week one?

I am always wrong and out voted, but it seems to me that this 2018 committee with 6 new members is a different breed. I hope not as in the past they have been exceptional.

Hints are in this list.
    -- Last year UCF was also undefeated, had some good wins and came in around #20. This year they have zero wins over a .500 team and are #12? That shows different mindset and values. All UCF has is eye appeal. Apologist are saying, "well next week they play Temple!"

-- Alabama looks to again be the best team, but "looks" should not enter in. On the field play puts them not #1 but maybe #6 or #10.

--Why is Kentucky below WS and Ok? Again, the "eye test" or is this FF Committee influenced by pedigreed and maybe TV ratings?

It will/should all play out on the field. The "deal" will only show up as teams loose (they always do), and how the FFC deal with one loss or maybe two loss teams.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - Thoreau

What I need to win? I need for Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma to win out. I need for Alabama to go undefeated which will take care of LSU, Georgia, Florida and Kentucky. I need for Ohio State to take out Michigan. That will leave the committee a choice between Ohio State and Oklahoma for the 4th team to make the Final Four. It will be an interesting debate as to who goes in. It could go either way. Since Oklahoma lost a close game to a ranked Texas team. And Ohio State lost in horrible fashion to Perdue. I think the committee will pick Oklahoma. I am sure Bill will be wanting them to pick Ohio State for obvious reasons. I am not asking for much! Just a million or so miracles! But hey. It could happen.

We need to see the media darlings Notre Dame lose a game. Looks like the best chances will be Northwestern and Syracuse. I don't think it is likely that FSU or USC can do it. However, who thought Purdue would smash OSU?

This week is a huge week in CFB.
    I am excited!

I will be pulling for all underdogs (except Clemson).
    I suspect the Tigers will drop a game as 99% do, and so want all others to have many losses.

That reads wrong. What I meant to say is "MAY the best team win" -- as long as the wining or loosing helps Clemson in any way, ever how slight.

That means:
    - Virginia
    - Nebraska
    - Texas
    - Penn
    - VT
    - Northwestern
    - LSU
    - Texas Tech
    - Cal

The other games are what they are, and this week have little impact on the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

That reads wrong. What I meant to say is "MAY the best team win" -- as long as the wining or loosing helps Clemson in any way, ever how slight.
    That reminds me of a quote I heard from coach Frank Howard many years ago.

It was during a pre-game interview by the opposing team announcer on the radio. At the end of the interview, the announcer said "thanks coach, May the best team win!" Coach Howard said, "I don't care anything about the best team winning, I just want Clemson to win!"

That reminds me of a quote I heard from coach Frank Howard many years ago.

It was during a pre-game interview by the opposing team announcer on the radio. At the end of the interview, the announcer said "thanks coach, May the best team win!" Coach Howard said, "I don't care anything about the best team winning, I just want Clemson to win!"
    I was at Clemson with Coach Howard.
    He is a special talker.
    Very, very few have that gift.
    The great Bobby Bowden does.

They see over the small crap and can say so in a few words.

Wasn't it coach Howard that was responsible for the name "Death Valley" for Clemson's stadium?

Coaches Poll

1 Alabama 9-0
    2 Clemson 9-0
    3 Notre Dame 9-0
    4 Michigan 8-1
    5 Georgia 8-1
    6 Oklahoma 8-1
    7 Ohio State 8-1
    8 West Virginia 7-1
    9 Washington State 8-1

At the minute, 9 teams are still in the hunt.
    That includes 2SEC, 1ACC, 2Big10, 2Big12, 1Pac12, and ND.
    That boils down to 6 teams as some will play each other.
    That means that winning out will not be enough, but it is difficult to predict which teams with 1 loss will be left out. Could a zero loss team be left out?
    That question was answered last week when the committee put LSU over ND.
    That being the case, one could argue that Georgia and Michigan had great wins yesterday and should now be over ND and maybe Clemson. Also, 6 teams have a Top Ten left to play on their schedule.

The playoff for the FF is well underway.

Wasn't it coach Howard that was responsible for the name "Death Valley" for Clemson's stadium?
    Thanks for asking Tony. I know somethings, and have some books. With the web handy here on the porch will look up details as I already know the facts.

One could say Coach Howard is responsible for all things "Clemson".

The actual name is 'Frank Howard Field at Clemson Memorial Stadium'.
    It was built in 1941 and cost $125,000. Much of the early construction of the stadium was done by scholarship athletes. Seating then was 20,500 and has grown to over 80,000 and takes in over $10million a game. I don't really know how much, that is just a low ball guess. It is pre-sold out for about every game for years and for most games nearly filled at over 80,000 and over 86,000 have squeezed in. Those tail gating in the parking lot with wide screen TV and huge cookers add thousands more who show not intending to go inside. If you want some fine free eating, show up in the opponents colors as the fans pride themselves on being friendly (maybe don't wear cock crap).

Dabo insists that there be 7 home games as the small town of Clemson relies on it. He is willing to play neutral site games, but not at the expense of a home game. 7 times a year Clemson goes from a tiny town of 13,000 to over 100,000, all arriving with money to spend.

The nickname "Death Valley" for Memorial Stadium, derives from the location of the Clemson University cemetery on a hill that once overlooked the field—before the upper decks were constructed.

For fun in a fake cemetery a tombstone is erected for every ranked team beaten and a service is held.

Lonnie McMillian, former football coach at Presbyterian College told sports writers in 1948 that he had "to take his team up to Clemson and play in Death Valley" where they rarely scored or gained a victory.

Clemson Head Coach Frank Howard began using the nickname "Death Valley" for the stadium in the 1950s.
    Howard was the coach when I was there. At the time he was Clemson, maybe still is as his "good ole boy" image is in most of us. His job was never on the line as no one had the power to object to anything he said or did, much less fire him.
    He was one of the last of the incredible Southern public speakers. Everyone who heard him saw him as a best friend.
    He was born in Alabama and play ball there. He came to Clemson as a coach in 1931 and until 1970. At times he also coached Track and Baseball.
    He was also the Athletic Director from 1940 until 1971.
    He is in about every Football Home of Fame you can think of.

Dabo's son scored a TD for the Tigers yesterday.
    Howard's son also played and was the Full Back for 3 years. He graduated from Clemson in 1964 with honors, and earned his master's degree in horticulture from Clemson in 1967. Today he is district entomologist at Clemson.

-Winning percentage in Death Valley is over 74% and rising.

-In a 2007 game against Boston College, the stadium set the record for the loudest stadium in college football at 133 decibels. When the crowd gets wild, visitors believe the stands may fall as they do move and shake, sorta like an earthquake. Hell, they are very old.

-Rubbing "Howard's Rock" and running down the hill started some time back. Yesterday was the 400th time. On TV Brent Musburger called it "the most exciting 25 seconds in college football", and I agree.

That grass hill at one end of the stadium could be used as space for a lot more $eat$, but I don't think the fans would allow it. My first trip there was when I was 12. Back then kids spent most of the game sledding down the hill on cardboard.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast