Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Final Four Contest

Changes

Alabama
    Ohio State
    CLEMSON
    Notre Dame

My current thinking:

Oklahoma lost to Texas, It was very close, but a loss. That means they can go 12-1. Right now Texas can go 12-1. I don't think either will.
    In fact, WV looks to have the best chance of going 12-1 except they cancelled a game and need to schedule in a cupcake as their previous opponent (NC State) has done that and is not available. WV going 11-1 is not good, but 12-0 looks OK. Loosing NCState really hurts them.

Notre Dame is now firmly in the mix. Going 12-0 is what they need, and their 12-0 will look much better than a WV 12-0. How will it stack up against a 12-1 Georgia or OHS? I believe it looks OK against a 12-1 Clemson.

LSU and Kentucky are no longer undefeated.
    The Kentucky schedule looks OK, but they now MUST beat Georgia. They do get them at home. Then they likely would face Alabama. It is hard to like their chances of not loosing one more game.

LSU has Georgia, Alabama, Texas AM, and then most likely again Georgia. No way they get through all that with out a loss.

Washington has one loss and many tough games ahead. I don't see them not picking up another loss. The loss against Auburn looks large now.

Clemson and NCS are undefeated. They play in two weeks, so one team will pick up a loss. The game being played in Death Valley means Vegas will pick Clemson as will I.
    It is looking like a team may have to go undefeated (13-0) in the ACC to make the FF. Only half the season has played, so that could change.

NCS has a weak schedule as they lost WV due to the hurricane. They still have to play at Syracuse, they get FS at home. If they loose to Clemson, don't think they get in at 12-1.

Clemson has NCS, FS, BC, Lou, Duke, all which can beat Clemson, but may not cost them a trip to the ACC Championship. The last game against SC is always a worry due to the rivalry. Go 13-0 and they are in. That is unlikely. Go 12-1 and are they in? That will depend on what happens to teams and conferences around the country.

Miami lost to LSU. They play at GT and at VT. Getting by that, they likly face Clemson in the Championship game. I don't think they win all those, and even if they do, is a 12-1 Miami in? Maybe as they will beat a high ranked Clemson in the final game. On the reverse Clemson is pulling for Miami now in every game so they can rise up the polls.

At this point I still am of the opinion that either Ga or Ala are in even at 12-1, but not both, especially if they play each other which looks likely.

The problem in the room is Notre Dame. They have looked weak, but not the last 3 weeks. They will be a big favorite in their remaining games.

To sum up before the beer runs out:

Washington 12-1 Conference Champ
    Oklahoma 12-1 Conference Champ
    Clemson 13-0 Conference Champ
    OHS 13-0 Conference Champ
    Ga or Ga 13-0 Conference Champ
    Notre Dame 12-0

At this point the Pac 12 and Big 12 are on the edge.

Over half the season yet to go, so expect few if any teams to be undefeated.

New Coaches Poll
    1 Alabama 6-0
    2 Georgia 6-0
    3 Ohio State 6-0
    4 Clemson 6-0
    5 Notre Dame 6-0
    6 West Virginia 5-0
    7 Washington 5-1
    8 Penn State 4-1
    9 Central Florida 5-0
    10 Wisconsin 4-1
    11 Oklahoma 5-1
    12 Louisiana State 5-1
    13 Michigan 5-1
    14 Texas 5-1
    15 Miami 5-1
    16 Florida 5-1
    17 Oregon 4-1
    18 Colorado 5-0
    19 NC State 5-0
    20 Kentucky 5-1

CPT
    I guess as soon as elgrau's NOT in the lead, AO will begin reporting on the standings of each contestant...
    "Now my freedom's bought and paid for -- it lights up my living room
    I got nothing more to prove; I've got no reason to move
    And when I'm tired of the program -- when its taken its toll
    I can press a button, change the channel by remote control." - Pat Macdonald, Timbuk3

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    I guess as soon as elgrau's NOT in the lead, AO will begin reporting on the standings of each contestant...
    No one is or can be in the lead until the first committee report on Oct 30.

These polls are fun but mean nothing.

Week 7 Summary (as I see it)

This was the best week so far for Clemson and they did not even play.

New Coaches Poll
    1 Alabama 7-0 (61 first-place votes)
    2 Ohio State 7-0 (1)
    3 Clemson 6-0 (2)
    4 Notre Dame 7-0
    5 Louisiana State 6-1
    6 Georgia 6-1
    7 Michigan 6-1
    8 Texas 6-1
    9 Central Florida 6-0
    10 Oklahoma 5-1
    11 Oregon 5-1
    12 Florida 6-1
    13 West Virginia 5-1
    14 Washington 5-2
    15 NC State 5-0

Best for Clemson is there be no undefeated or even one loss schools.
    The number was cut way down this week with undefeated Georgia, Colorado, and West Virginia loosing. Conference Champ threats were cut back some as Washington, Penn State, and Wisconsin probably loosing their way out of Final Four range.

Left undefeated are Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and NC State.
    Clemson and NC State play each other this week so one will fall.
    I believe at this point the team with the best chance in is Notre Dame. Like Clemson, Alabama, and OHS, ND is favored in their remaining games. Unlike the others, ND will not be tested against against a good team in a Conference Championship. To be undefeated the others have a crucial 13th game, ND does not. On the flip side is the others still have a shot with one loss and ND does not.

So what will happen? All I know is that things will happen. This week we are still looking at "Undefeated" teams, but soon one-loss teams will be part of the conversation. As you can see above, there are a lot of those.

One change is this year some of the old "blue bloods" are showing up. Right now in the Top Ten only Clemson and Central Florida don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    picks over time -

AO
    C L E M S O N
    Alabama
    Washington
    Wisconsin

Mike kelly
    Georgia
    Clemson
    Alabama
    Wisconsin

RoberM
    #1 Clemson
    #2 Alabama
    #3 Wisconsin
    #4 Oklahoma

elgrau
    1. Alabama (13-1)
    2. Clemson (12-2)
    3. Ohio State (12-2)
    4. Georgia (13-2)

Toad
    Clemson
    Georgia
    Ohio State
    Wisconsin

Pixley
    1. Clemson
    2. Washington
    3. Alabama
    4. Penn State

Tony
    1. Georgia
    2. Clemson
    3. Alabama
    4. Washington

Marty
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Georgia
    Notre Dame

Pixley
    1. Clemson (great win at Texas A&M)
    2. Alabama
    3. Ohio State (I don’t like the team)
    4. Oklahoma (I also like Georgia)

AO
    CLEMSON
    Oklahoma
    Ohio State
    Alabama

Robert
    Alabama
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Notre Dame

Toad
    Georgia
    Ohio State
    Clemson
    Oklahoma

AO
    Alabama
    Ohio State
    CLEMSON
    Notre Dame

All have a few weeks to re-pick, but doing it early puts you higher on the list in case of ties.
    Very important this year is also putting teams in the right slot.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345