Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Four Contest

Quote Originally Posted by elgrau View Post
    simply boycott the sport

The deal seems to be this -

The Big 12 has a fake Championship game in order to have a 13th game.
    Notre Dame is stuck with just 12 games.

Four Conferences have a real playoff in a real Championship game.

The "more games needed" pitch from liberals like Ed discount the importance of these games.

As it is not likely or desirable that a non Power Five team gets a bid until they up their lower level schedules, that means five conferences and Notre Dame believe they deserve a bid no matter what. I disagree.

Maybe the best thing about having just 4 teams is telling some to improve their schedule (like non Power Five) if they want in.

Lately the SEC West and the ACC Atlantic have been better than other entire conferences. This year from the ACC only a one loss team can get in.
    This year, The Big Ten might be the strongest conference.
    Every year to get a bid, much relies not on the team, but what other teams do.
    If you want in - go undefeated.

In all conferences, it is not top to bottom good or bad. There is a good team here and there. Last Year when Georgia and Alabama got in from one conference, that was the best choice.

The best teams will become known as the season plays out.
    Right now it is just fun prediction as no one knows. All can predict, but it never works out that way.

Many people with dedication and high football IQs work it out.
    If Clemson goes 11-2 and wins the conference, I will be unhappy if they are left out, but will not start a boycott.

First big game up is Washington vs Auburn in Atlanta.
    This will be a home type atmosphere for Auburn as they will buy all the tickets.

Washington seems to have the more complete team, but I think Auburn will win.

How will this affect the two teams FF Play Off hopes?
    Winning is very, very good. Loosing is not the end of the World.

Loosing this and another game puts one at risk. Loosing another game for Auburn is much more likely than for Washington. Going 11-2 and winning the conference means loosing this game will not mean much.

At the end of the season if these two teams are close, the winner of this game would have a flag to fly.

FF thoughts for today -
    (please don't read unless you also respond).

Teams over looked that could make the FF are many.
    Some are:

- Michigan State
    - Mississippi State
    - USC
    - Texas
    - Florida State

I see today the Mississippi State QB has been suspended for game one. I don't think they will need him this week, but will this be a problem going forward?

FAU opens against Oklahoma. OK should win easy, but ?
    FAU has brought in talented star players kicked off other teams. They are not with out a chance.

There is zero reason Michigan State does not make FF this year.

Florida State has more talent than most any school. Due to new coach experts are saying 7-5. I am amazed at their ignorance.

What do you think after Week One?
    For me two of the most interesting games have yet to play -> Miami-LSU and FS-VT.

My thinking on what I saw is:

- Michigan and ND looked good. I really thought from reports Michigan would play better, now I don't see them as a viable FF contender.
    ND could go undefeated. I doubt that of any team, but they have as good a chance as anyone. The team seemed complete and the schedule looks OK now that we have seen to match up to Michigan.

- Did not see the game, but Applaichian shamed Penn State. What is up with that? Can anyone see them taking the Big Ten on now?

- The Alabama QB battle is over. Tug looked good and like an old hand. The Alabama "D" was solid against Lousiville.

- The best game was Auburn -Washington. I believed Auburn would be too strong, and I was wrong. Either team could have won. In my opinion the officials called way too many fouls and influenced the game. Washington looks tough enough to me to take the Pac 12 and end up 12-1.
    Auburn has a rougher road ahead, but is better than last season.

- The Wake Forest freshman QB is the real deal. He can toss the ball with the best of them. The rest of the team is suspect, but he will win many games for them over the next few years. Clemson has a thousand great recievers. Let that boy take any two of them and WF would be hell.

- Georgia and Clemson did exactly what was expected.
    The freshman Clemson QB Lawrence got to play some. The hype behind him was too much for any guy to match. He did not walk on water. Still, once the kid got over the shock of playing before 80,000 rabid fans, he did OK. In 9 of 15 passing, threw 3 TDs to 3 different guys. He really is a wonder when tossing the ball. I am sure he is going to be OK at this level. The starting QB Bryant also was near perfect, tossing one TD and going on a long run for another. This is a veteran team of experienced players. No matter as 3 true freshmen scored.
    I did not get to watch much of the Georgia game, so others can fill us in.

- It is not so much that Texas lost as it is Maryland won. I hate that.

- UCLA went from great expectations to bust. Can they recover? Sanford struggled. It looks like all Washington to me now.

- All we know after yesterday as to some FF favorites like Alabama, Wisconsin, Clemson, TCU, USC, Oklahoma, OHS, etc is nothing.
    They took their scrimmage games in stride as was expected. Michigan State struggled and I did not see that coming.
    Do we add West Virginia now or was that the same old TN? No doubt the WV QB Grier is now the Heisman front runner.

Clemson and Alabama were easy choices for me in my four picks. My other two picks were much harder. I kept going back and forth between 4 teams. But only had the luxury of two picks between them. Washington and Michigan were both teams that I expected to win. Both their chances to reach the Final Four dramatically dropped now! I am glad I went with Wisconsin and Oklahoma now!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    My picks are:

C L E M S O N
    Alabama
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    Looking at my picks, need to change as I am antsy.
    So far I can't justify changing and loosing my position. Of course the sooner I change, the more my position will improve as others change. I am sure to change a few times.

I'll keep these for now as who would I change to?

Oklahoma was looking like a World beater, and someone I might switch to, but now has lost a key player. They still look likely to go undefeated in the Big 12, so ...?

Wisconsin is actually looking better than when I chose them due to Mich and Penn looking a little weak right now. OHS looks great, but Wisconsin will only face them if both make the Championship game. MS looked poor this past week. I think Wisconsin still has an excellent chance.

Washington lost, but played really well. I still see them as the Pac 12 Champs. They cannot loose another game and get in.

Notre Dame opened up great, but looked less this past week. More and more I see them as 12-0.

Georgia seems to be rock solid. They are 100% in the SEC Championship and most likely 12-0 then. I still know little as to Alabama. The thing is I don't think both can get in again. This may be the best offense Alabama has had in years. I am suspect that Alabama (or any team) can go 12-0 due to teams looking good right now their division.

My Tigers got by a tough game. On top of that Florida State took a loss and looked horrible again this past week. Louisville looks like less. It is hard to see Clemson not making the Championship Game with more than 1 loss.

For now can not justify any changes in my picks.
    How are your teams doing?
    Remember changes can be made up until the deadline.

PFC
    Amending my picks-

1. Clemson (great win at Texas A&M)
    2. Alabama
    3. Ohio State (I donít like the team)
    4. Oklahoma (I also like Georgia)

Virginia Tech will be very good in 2019 - watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by sppixley View Post

Virginia Tech will be very good in 2019 - watch out!
    They are good this year.
    As has been the case in recent years, the VT schedule is again weak. Part of that has been because their division has been weak. The ACC needs to realign, and apparently so does the SEC.

The only out of conference game not a cup cake was forced on them by the ACC -> Notre Dame on Oct 6th. VT needs to schedule better.

Maybe not. Any team that goes undefeated and wins the ACC will get in. It is possible to imagine VT loosing to ND, winning the ACC and being left out depending on what happens in other conferences. It is very possible that at the end of season no team on the VT schedule other than ND will be ranked. VT fans need to pull for Miami every week.

CLEMSON
    Oklahoma
    Ohio State
    Alabama

The polls will be coming out as to what some thing are the best teams.
    This contest is not about who are the best teams after just 3 games, but listing those who will make the FF and the slots they will occupy.

I am more confused now than before any games were played.
    My thinking remains that undefeated teams will get in, 12-1 teams come next with being a Conference Champs a big plus.

To that it goes with out saying that except for ND, all undefeated teams will be conference champs, every one of them. It is unlikely any team will be undefeated, but at tis point I must consider who has the best chance due to how they are playing and their schedule ahead.

Clemson seems to head the list. They are not playing great, but the schedule looks best. That is due to Florida State who was the main obstacle, now looking like crap. Next in line would be Louisville, also looking like less than last season. Teams not in the Atlantic division don't count until one is the Coastal champ. Clemson and VT do not meet until maybe the Championship.
    I don't think Clemson will go undefeated, but they look to have the best chance - right now.

Oklahoma is playing very good. I think they are next in line to go undefeated. It is less likely than Clemson, but next. They play at TCU which did great against OHS last night and at West Virginia. Then they have the fake championship game, probably against TCU or WV.

OHS beat TCU last night but did not look impressive. I believe they are 3rd in line now to go undefeated due to schedule, but less so than Clemson and Oklahoma. Good things for OHS is the other power teams in the Big Ten all look like less after 3 weeks. Their toughest game now is at Penn State who looks suspect after the App State game. A championship game against Wisconsin looks easy now.

Alabama looks better than I thought they would. I believe them the 4th best shot to be undefeated. They have to play at LSU who looked good yesterday. They have to play Auburn who is tested and looks good. They get MSST and TA&M at home, but those look tough. Then they get Georgia in the Championship.
    I can't see even Alabama not loosing one of those, so they are 4th on this list.

After undefeated teams you go to 1 loss teams who may or may not be a conference champ. The odds are all teams will have at least 1 loss, so all the above means less.

I believe Georgia is the most impressive team on the field so far with Oklahoma next. As the odds of two teams from one conference getting in are not good, I am going with Alabama over Georgia right now. I was impressed with the Alabama QB play yesterday. This team is better at scoring points than last year, lots better.

It is difficult to see Georgia loosing a game until maybe the Championship. At that point their record would be compared to 1 loss teams who are Champions. Like Alabama, they get LSU away and Auburn at home. There is no real reason to pick Alabama over Georgia, but I am right now. It seems a lock one of these teams are in.

For Alabama and Georgia to both get again, there must be a lot of 2 loss champs in the other conferences, and ND must not go undefeated. At this point that seems a long shot to me. I believe right now after just 3 games that the Pac 12 and ND are out as well as is the looser of the SEC Championship.(Georgia-Alabama). OHS has a strong schedule. Oklahoma is better with the win over UCLA. Clemson should have wins over 2 SEC schools, so good enough.

Many teams will be messing up all the above thinking, but it entertains me on the porch today as Hurricane Florence rages by.

Just like last year Wisconsin has let me down. My new picks are:

Alabama
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    Notre Dame

I live in my own little world. But its ok, all here know me. Yet, they still let me run a bar tab :)
    Georgia
    Ohio State
    Clemson
    Oklahoma
    "And that's all I have to say about that."

Top games this week that could factor in:

Miami vs UNC. It is now important for Clemson that Miami and USuCk win every game. I don't care for either team, but can at least stomach Miami so will pull for them (never for USuCk).

WV vs TT is a big deal as WV is still 100% in. I am not a fan of anything as to WV except some of the girls I have met.

VT vs Duke is interesting as Duke is playing great and VT is not out of the race for the ACC Championship game. Duke is unbeaten. VT gave up like little girls last week to OD, can they rebound?

OHS vs PS is HUGE!! Dipsticks will be going up the anal end to check the oil.
    The winner will move to #1 on my weekly poll, and the loser is out of the FF unless a lot of teams falter (which they will).

Stanford vs Notre Dame is also HUGE! I believe ND will win, but I hope not.

The fun deal is upsets happen so all are at risk every time they take the field. All we know is things will keep changing.
    Can TN beat Georgia this week? Can Syracuse beat Clemson again like they did last year when they were 28point underdogs?
    Yep!

The FF contest is a mess due to all the teams still in, and a few who have bit the dust.

As October is just starting, and it is not until November that things clear up some - have to say this is another fun year.

In addition to all the Power Five conferences having a claim, Notre Dame is making a run.

That would be 6, and all know the SEC put in two last year. This year Georgia and Alabama appear to be even better, and all experts have both in again at this point, so that makes 7.

Teams not in the first list can and do move up as November is when the fat hits the fire.

I will leave my list as before as I don't know who to change out at this point. The media claims Clemson is fake, but I disagree.
    I have to admit ND looks to have a real shot and the FF committee has never had to deal with that.

Notre Dame PERFECT SEASON?
    Projected Spreads
    FAVORED BY:
    -4.5 at Virginia Tech
    -23.5 hosting Pitt
    -21 vs Navy
    -11 at Northwestern
    -16 hosting Florida St
    -11 vs Syracuse
    -4.5 at USC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast